IMPORTANT NEWS : SCREENS OF MSTS II

A brand new simulator announced from Microsoft based on the Flight Sim X engine. Note: Microsoft closed the ACES Studio on 23rd January 2009 thus terminating this product along with other Simulation products -Flight Sim and ESP.

Moderator: Moderators

EBTMikes
New to the Forums

Post by EBTMikes »

CompanyNotch wrote: To this point, we just returned from a week in Pennsylvania doing research gathering work with one of our railroad partners. We brought back over 9300 digital images for just this location alone, not to mention hours of digital HD video.

Is this a railroad in addition to the Pennsy/NS mainline? This is pretty awesome, especially if it's of the National Historic Landmark variety :wink: Can't wait to see the evidence, no matter what stage of development it's in!

Traveling is rough. A college choir tour last spring took us as far west as Wyoming. That was by bus, only changing an hour every few days, but was bad enough.

I wish we could've ordered up some better weather for you; it's to drop into the 70s with sunshine next weekend. But I hope you enjoyed your time in PA!
jivebunny
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jivebunny »

bigvern wrote:Re the use of splines, I hope we will still have the availability of fixed track pieces (or the ability to define a set radius). Although I'm learning the tricks, I still struggle with this aspect of TRS a bit - even with templates not easy to get your points looking good, eliminate "kinks" in straight sections or where you have reverse curves and dog-legs on sharp curves.
Sorry bigvern I have to disagree with you on this. Getting rid of kinks on a spline-based system in TRS is simply a case of using the "straighten track" tool so that the simulator knows which section of the track you want to be the straight section. This gives you full control over how the trackwork looks and is a two-click process described in the manual.

At this stage I must say I'm very unimpressed with what I've seen. Yes it's a big step forward from the original, but after six years that doesn't really take much. It seems the spline system is being put across as some sort of revolutionary idea in the hope that people will be simply accept it as such (worryingly this seems to be working), and graphically (in some aspects at least) it has a long way to go before it ditches the Grand Theft Auto look and catches up with TRS. The World of Rails feature seems to be little more than a gimmick to get the attention of those who think it means that every last railway line on the planet will be fully mapped and modelled, when in reality it is likely to be a slightly better implementation of the current RGE, presumably with elevation data thrown in.

I suspect those who haven't stuck with the same sim for the past six years will be a little harder to impress!

JB
EBTMikes
New to the Forums

Post by EBTMikes »

g0fthick wrote:Certainly looks the part, but correct me if i'm mistaken, this looks much more orientated towards our American chums.

If that's the case i can see my interest waining.
What's wrong with that? We all have slightly different interests. KRS was looking like it was concentrating on European rail (as well it should, being based on that side of the pond!). All you guys should be delighted, as I'm sure many Americans were disappointed (at least until the UP screenshots).

Likewise, it's easier for MS to do most of its work in the US. And I'm absolutely thrilled that MS is looking at the eastern US. MSTS1 had the Marias Pass in the northwest, and KRS has something else out west (nothing scenic about the Northeast Corridor, in my opinion - it catered to the modern/fast crowd).

Don't take me the wrong way, either. I'm actually more fascinated by railways in the UK than western US roads. I've put many more hours on Settle-Carlisle than the Marias Pass in MSTS1. But I think it's good when different sims concentrate on different areas. Don't we all win that way?

You can bet I'll have both MSTS2 and KRS.
Odd as this may sound, I would be interested in seeing some sort of trainsim documentation of the Chinese rail system before all the infrastructure that serviced their steam locos disappears (if it hasn't already).
CaptainBazza
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!

Post by CaptainBazza »

Go to youtube and do a search on Chinese railway locomotive, etc, you'll be amazed what turns up. There will be further links to other videos on the right side, too.

Cheers Bazza
CaptainBazza
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!

Post by CaptainBazza »

Certainly looks the part, but correct me if i'm mistaken, this looks much more orientated towards our American chums.

Far too early to make that sort of statement, IMO. We've seen one part of one route, it may be a demo or development route, or it may end up in the box on release. The track base covers the world.....and it's your oyster, or something.

The comments about 'narrow gauge' prototypical curvature has cheered ME up no end. Thanks for the heads up, Rick, much appreciated.

Cheers Bazza
eaglefan
Established Forum Member

Post by eaglefan »

Here is a quote that I recieved from tdragger who is part of the team on this project and it is as follows:

"You may not have heard...instead of focussing on '6 to 8 routes', TS2 will have a world-wide track database--many, many thousands of miles of it."

So from what I understand on this quote. There will probably be american and overseas routes made available for the sim as there will be many, many thousands of miles for the sim available.
EBTMikes
New to the Forums

Post by EBTMikes »

Right, and I have seen the "global" thing from watching Flight Simulator develop over the last 10 years or so. They even had crude representations of the rail systems in the last 2 versions. But not every square inch will be covered in detail. Yes almost every airport in the world is in the database, but they are surrounded by mostly generic scenery. The big airports get the detail. There still have to be some detailed routes to show off some of what the sim can do. The rest will be there waiting, I assume with "autogen-like" scenery, in the meantime.
CaptainBazza wrote:Go to youtube and do a search on Chinese railway locomotive, etc, you'll be amazed what turns up.
Oh yes, that's one reason I'd like to see it in trainsim. I saw an article in Model Railroader about Bachmann making QJs and SYs, then went to youtube to investigate. It's mostly all there to be studied, rather than pieced together from history.

I especially enjoyed the videos of the C2s. Lots of chuffing but going nowhere fast lol. Then I was just browsing the narrow gauge forums a few weeks ago and saw you were working on one! I'm really looking forward to its release, if you still intend to do so for MSTS1. btw, doesn't the C2 have a family resemblance to the Polish Px48? I think those are kinda cute.

(PS - the route in PA I was referring to is also narrow gauge, as I have been firmly "narrow-minded" for the last year, though at 3 ft. perhaps still a bit broad by your standards hehe)
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Post by phat2003uk »

EBTMikes wrote:
g0fthick wrote:Certainly looks the part, but correct me if i'm mistaken, this looks much more orientated towards our American chums.

What's wrong with that?
Well there's a lot wrong with it if you're not interested in American railways.

Richard
CompanyNotch
Been on the forums for a while

Post by CompanyNotch »

Mike10 wrote: I have ot say that it is easy to 'talk a good fight', but harder to deliver a front coupler that actually works.

I'm sure the majority of the posts on here are good for your ego though ;)

Mike.
I'm pleased to report that the front coupler ALREADY WORKS!! Even at this early stage, I can comfirm we have already achieved this important milestone, so we can all cross this one off the list.... :)

-Rick

Rick Selby
Lead Game Designer
Microsoft Game Studios

http://yardlimits.spaces.live.com
CompanyNotch

Post by CompanyNotch »

As before, Train Simulator 2 will be a global product. That means our friends outside North America will be accounted for as well in the overall product design...

There's a lot more information regarding the content that we've yet to release. We'll be talking (and showing) more about this in the coming months....

-Rick

Rick Selby
Lead Game Designer
Microsoft Game Studios

ARG706
Well Established Forum Member

Post by ARG706 »

Rick, is there ever likely to be any Australian content?
CompanyNotch

Post by CompanyNotch »

EBTMikes wrote:
Is this a railroad in addition to the Pennsy/NS mainline? This is pretty awesome, especially if it's of the National Historic Landmark variety :wink: Can't wait to see the evidence, no matter what stage of development it's in!

I wish we could've ordered up some better weather for you; it's to drop into the 70s with sunshine next weekend. But I hope you enjoyed your time in PA!
Yes, the rainy and foggy weather in central Pennsylvania last week made us feel all right at home - very Seattle-like! But we did have a good time, and more importantly, we gathered LOTS of great reference information in our work with a great railroad partner.

As they say, it's a tough job, but someone has to do it.... :wink:

-Rick

Rick Selby
Lead Game Designer
Microsoft Game Studios

CompanyNotch

Post by CompanyNotch »

ARG706 wrote:Rick, is there ever likely to be any Australian content?
All I can say at this point is that I personally would LOVE to do some Australian content. You guys are definitely on our radar down there, but I can't comment on any specific plans to build out an Australian route.

-Rick

Rick Selby
Lead Game Designer
Microsoft Game Studios

Iluka
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Iluka »

Hi Rick

You are doing a fantastic job of keeping us all informed as to what Microsoft Game Studios are developing for us all.

I am extremely pleased that you are taking note of what many of us have been posting on UKTS since we purchased MSTS six years ago now - how time flies Rick :o

I know these following queries may not be able to be answered at the moment by you but is it possible to give some indication on the following:-

Download Compatibility

Will your new Train Simulator be download Compatible with the existing thousands of pieces of Rolling Stock that have been developed for MSTS - I have well over 7,500 locos and 15,000 wagons currently installed :lol:

Consist Limit

Will there be a limit placed on the number of Consists when Activities are written for your new Simulator as with the original MSTS anything over 600 consists caused MSTS to crash - Trainstore fixed this problem as you are aware Rick

Existing MSTS Routes

Will existing MSTS Routes be download compatible with your new Train Simulator

Conclusion

Rick if your answers are No to the above it doesn't really bother me (and I am sure the majority of us) as from what I have seen so far your new Simulator is looking to be a Real Winner - When it is released I will be one of the first to buy it :lol:

All the very best to you and your Team at Microsoft Game Studios

Regards

Mike
keber
Established Forum Member

Post by keber »

I hope, that you guys are aware, that railway track in real world is defined with only three things:
- horizontal (situative) axis (which are straight tangents with circular arcs in between and optional easements)
- altitude axis (also tangents with circular arcs in between)
- side crossprofile (including rails, sleepers, superelevation, embankments, cuttings, ditches)

Having different side profiles for track (with different defined cuttings and embankments) would make track really realistic and terrain fiddlings would become unnecessary. Maybe you should look, how dedicated programs work for designing railways (like AutoCAD Civil 3D).

Everything else is scenery.

Return to “Microsoft Train Simulator 2”