Runfurrow DEV Quality

Discussion relating to the operations of real railways together with the experiences of the people who work (or have worked) on them.

Moderator: Moderators

chrispierce
Established Forum Member

Runfurrow DEV Quality

Post by chrispierce »

I've kust recievced a Runfurrow DVD Of Beford to brighton, and the quality is awful! The disk refuses to skip forward. The disk refused to work properly (i.e without skipping) on my playstation and Laptop. I used Media Player, and Powerlink DVD, and the disk doesn't work properly. Is it me? Or have others has similar problems. I've got another on order and am tempted to cancel it. Do I have a duff disk or is it just me?

P.S I've never had any problems with Video125 productions.
asalmon
Very Active Forum Member

Post by asalmon »

I would guess runferrow, like 225 studios, use computer-burned DVD -R - these do have compatibility problems

Video125 always use pressed DVDs, cost a lot more to set up but better quality and compatiblilty.

As I don't possess TV or VCR, I did email video125 asking if any more existing videos woiuld be transfered to DVD, and they said no; I suggested burning on PC for small runs but they wouldn't hear of it! Now I can see why.
chrispierce
Established Forum Member

Post by chrispierce »

My computer recognized the disk as a DVD-R, and the data side of the disk is purple, so I guess its a copied disk. Oh well, HST West should arrive in the post tomorrow :fadein:
yorkie2k
Established Forum Member

Re: Runfurrow DEV Quality

Post by yorkie2k »

chrispierce wrote:I've kust recievced a Runfurrow DVD Of Beford to brighton, and the quality is awful! The disk refuses to skip forward. The disk refused to work properly (i.e without skipping) on my playstation and Laptop. I used Media Player, and Powerlink DVD, and the disk doesn't work properly. Is it me? Or have others has similar problems. I've got another on order and am tempted to cancel it. Do I have a duff disk or is it just me?

P.S I've never had any problems with Video125 productions.
Same here. It's absolutely abysmal.

DEFINITELY CANCEL!

The people who run that mickey mouse company should be sent to jail for fraud :x
chriscooper
Well Established Forum Member

Post by chriscooper »

I've got quite a few of their DEVs on DVD and other than 2 have had no problems at all. The two that I did have problems with I phoned them up about and was sent replacements. Its an issue with many "home made" DVDs, and even many profesional ones can be pretty bad when it comes to skipping and freezing, especially older ones. A lot of the blame should be put on the big companies who put so much copy protection into DVDs and DVD players that home made ones won't even run some of the time, and often mean that "proper" DVDs won't play on a computer DVD drive. The best setup is to do like I have done which is to have a computer with a DVD drive TV out connected to a TV for playing "home made" DVDs and a DVD player for playing proper ones.
Overall though Runfurrows DVDs are pretty good, although not quite up to the quality standards of Video 125, but its worth it for the variety of routes (express passenger to freight only) and the fact that many are available in both directions, and that you don't miss anything.
Optrex
Been on the forums for a while

Post by Optrex »

asalmon wrote: As I don't possess TV or VCR, I did email video125 asking if any more existing videos woiuld be transfered to DVD, and they said no; I suggested burning on PC for small runs but they wouldn't hear of it! Now I can see why.
I think they've since added a few more DEVs to the DVD range. Leaflets I received from them list the ECML and WMCL ones, Cornish Branches (fab DMMU-fest!) and other non-DEVs.

I'd buy them, but it's not very economical 'cos I already have the VHS tapes. I haven't got money to burn yet. :)

MIke
chrispierce
Established Forum Member

Post by chrispierce »

The bit that makes me laugh if that Runfurrow claim that the video are used by various TOC for route/driver training.
jdjonny
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jdjonny »

chrispierce wrote:The bit that makes me laugh if that Runfurrow claim that the video are used by various TOC for route/driver training.
HA! Maybe that's why trains stop at random places along the line, and is claimed by the TOC to be "Driver error" ;)

He's just copying the DVD, the poor bloke.

JDJonny
....bad link removed......
http://www.railpics.tk
http://www.railpicsvideos.tk

Sulzer is the way forwards. Big up spoons!
Christopher125
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Christopher125 »

Hi

I had to have several replacements DVD's, and it took months for him to do them, at least they work now (I also got Bed-Bri), however, it does occasionally splutter. I can understand why Vid125 wont put many more onto DVD unless sales increase, because they've only got a small warehouse, and what they mange to sell directly influences what new routes they produce and which ones they put on DVD.

Chris 8)
chrispierce
Established Forum Member

Post by chrispierce »

the thing that cheeses me off is, you pay top wack for a DEV DVD, with Video125 they miss part of the route out, by the quality is excellent, but with Runfurrow you get the whole route, and 70's VHS quality picture.
asalmon
Very Active Forum Member

Post by asalmon »

Most of the video 125's I have are complete.

I was particularly disapointed with one from Locomaster Profiles, "North Star - South West" - they practically missed out the whole of Somerset, the main reason I'd got it.
oldrocker
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Runfurrow DEV Quality

Post by oldrocker »

How about this for a bump ? :P

I recently bought Wolverhampton to Euston off Ebay and paid £31 !

Quality .. appalling, no colour to speak of, shot in the winter and it rained so wipers on

And to top it all, apparently I could have bought it for £18 off Runfurrows website.

I will not go anywhere near Runfurrow products again.

:x

Return to “Real Railway Discussion”