Double Locomotive Experiment Help

Fire up your 3D modelling tool and start building some rolling stock, or find out what others are previewing here. If you have questions about how to make the blueprints work or what names mean what in models, here's the place to find out your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

pacerfan
Established Forum Member

Double Locomotive Experiment Help

Post by pacerfan »

I have been experimenting with creating kitbash articulated steam locomotives in the game, I have had a problem with the tenders though. I put two 8F's back to back and then changed the coupling on the tenders to 3 link screw so they could go on each end Garrat-Style. The problem being when I try to select the "articulated" loco in-game instant SBHH
Am now known as Zm-Yeti/Yetiworks. more to match other online accounts.
Iluka
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Double Locomotive Experiment Help

Post by Iluka »

Hi Pacerfan

Now firstly I haven't a clue about building Rolling Stock but I do play around quite a bit with looking around at the "Component Files" etc.

I don't know if this helps but do you have the RSC Union Pacific Big Boy and/or the Challenger? - These are not Garratt Style Locos but do have three Components in each of them so it may be worthwhile having a look at them or if you don't have them and someone else does have them who is far more "Loco Building Savvy" than I am they could possibly look at them to see if there are any "pointers" in there.

Regards

Mike
bdy26
Very Active Forum Member

Post by bdy26 »

Is there a line in the bin file that states a tender is required?
B
http://bdy26.co.uk/sbhh/

Builder of The Cockermouth Keswick and Penrith Railway and Lancaster to Carlisle for RW; purveyor of dirty diesels to Vulcan Productions.
Iluka
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Iluka »

Hi Bdy

The Bigboy has three Components :-

Big Boy Front Frames
Big Boy 4-8-8-0
Big Boy Tender

The Difference is that the Tender is at the rear of the Loco.

The MSTS Garrat by Mike Simpson has a different set up :-

Gar 4998B.eng
Gar 4998cab.wag
Gar 4998F.eng

I am wondering if a cab placed between the two Locos would fix the problem for RW

Regards

Mike
bdy26
Very Active Forum Member

Post by bdy26 »

I'm not sure comparing Sims will get the answer.

You can't "add a cab" unless it is separately modelled.

You need to be methodical - does one engine work without a tender (with a driver), does it cause the same error if coupled the other way.

I'm pretty sure there will be a line in the bin file requiring a tender that will have an "eTrue" statement, try changing to "eFalse"- similarly have a look and compare to the challenger or big boy and see how they work.

There is a known bug of problems double heading kettles, so doing it without tenders may not be straightforward.

B
http://bdy26.co.uk/sbhh/

Builder of The Cockermouth Keswick and Penrith Railway and Lancaster to Carlisle for RW; purveyor of dirty diesels to Vulcan Productions.
mikeadams2k
Been on the forums for a while

Post by mikeadams2k »

If you're still having this problem, try adding the following lines to the engine blueprints.(you don't need to add any values, just the coal and water types) I ran into this while testing a couple of steam engines I'm working on. Setting the 'Tender Required' line to false doesn't seem to work. Apparently,the coal and water cargo types requirement came about during recent updates to RW3.

xguerra
Very Active Forum Member

Post by xguerra »

Now here's an interesting idea. This is the Britkits American 3ft Shay Class B with the logging wagon at the front. I am using this on my Welsh Highland route until somebody comes up with any appropriate rolling stock.

What this shows is, and it's not really represented here, if you have all 3 Garratt trucks semi-permanently coupled, you could have the front a dummy freight item, the middle the engine, and the end one the tender.

Backdated Trainsim
My site with my content: http://backdatedtrainsim.weebly.com/

Return to “[RW] Building Rolling Stock”