Terraform your UK Route in 5 Easy Steps [using DEM data]

The MSTS 1 Route Editor can be a beast to use, but it's capable of some amazing results, here you can talk with the wizards that are building some of the fantastic routes available and learn how to make your own.

Moderator: Moderators

leveritt
Been on the forums for a while

Re: Terraform your UK Route in 5 Easy Steps [using DEM data]

Post by leveritt »

RSAdam wrote:Does noone think its time to revamp my initial tutorial and use updated links and processes? I seem to remember someone saying years back that some of the steps are now irrelevant.
Time passes and our tool-set steadily improved. As you say, most of your original post has been overtaken by better methodology.

I would especially avoid the old NASA "one degree squares" sites to obtain DEM's. By mutual agreement, the USGS has taken maintenance on, and they have removed discontinuities, holes and spikes. This illustrates the problem (screenshot link shows the difficulty):
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 43#p968743
This was the fix:
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 53#p969353

You can note that GSX1400 said "To be honest, I can't remember where I got the data from, I followed all of the links in "Terraform your UK Route in 5 Easy Steps [using DEM data]" until I found one that works." and "I think it would be useful for the article "Terraform your UK Route in 5 Easy Steps [using DEM data]" to be updated..."

If you have registered DEMEX, you need do nothing but ask DEMEX to get your SRTM 3 arc sec DEM's for you. The front end of the USGS site is bypassed and a couple of seconds later you have a download page, exactly tailored to your route's quad tree.

If you have not registered DEMEX, this post shows you how to bypass the USGS front end on your own and go directly to a download:
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 60#p740360

Newer methods are in this topic, but they're difficult to find. To wit... :)
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 64#p969664

regards,
charlie
Last edited by leveritt on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XPTE
Very Active Forum Member

Post by XPTE »

I have DEM applied to my route/s. The section from Bristol-Swindon is pretty much good, as is the section from Bristol-Winterbourne. But from the Westerleigh area and heading north following the line up to Gloucester the DEM is way out. I suspect that my trackwork is not in the precise area really, due to me laying a straight Bristol Parkway layout instead of a curved one. Is there a way atall to shift the relevant chunks of DEM so that it is in the right area for where my trackwork is?

The lat lon co-ordinates where the DEM becomes way out on my route is in the Westerleigh area at LAT 51.50181 LON -2.45107. Does anyone know where these co-ordinates actually are in the real world? So that I know how far away my trackwork is from the real world equivalent.
leveritt

Post by leveritt »

XPTE wrote:Is there a way atall to shift the relevant chunks of DEM so that it is in the right area for where my trackwork is?
In DEMEX you can specify East or West Offsets for terrain generation, either in meters or degrees lat/long. This applies to both Std and DM terrain.

You can be selective in choosing tiles to be re-DEM'ed. Up to you to repair mismatches at the border between original and shifted.

regards,
charlie
rfletcher72
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rfletcher72 »

Mmm. I am following this step by step, but when I open the tif. files in DEMEX, I get the greyscale images interspersed with blue areas :(
Richard
photons66
Very Active Forum Member

Post by photons66 »

Hi

Sorry for the bump but I cannot seem to access the NASA DEM site. Is anyone else experiencing this problem and can I download the data from somewhere else?
Regards.

Dave.
photons66
Very Active Forum Member

Post by photons66 »

Nobody knows? I have tried again but the NASA site posted above doesn't work.
:(
Regards.

Dave.
leveritt

Post by leveritt »

photons66 wrote:Nobody knows? I have tried again but the NASA site posted above doesn't work.
There's now too much information in the earlier parts of this topic that has been overtaken by events. Just a few posts earlier than this one you find:
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 7#p1069147

Whether you have registered DEMEX or not, both acquisition methods are addressed there.

regards,
charlie
photons66
Very Active Forum Member

Post by photons66 »

Thanks Charlie for that link. :)
Regards.

Dave.
photons66
Very Active Forum Member

Post by photons66 »

Sorry to sound dumb but I'm unsure how to access the DEM with an unregistered DEMEX.

Really sorry if this would entail reiterating the information.
Regards.

Dave.
leveritt

Post by leveritt »

photons66 wrote:...I'm unsure how to access the DEM with an unregistered DEMEX.
1) If you have not registered DEMEX

EDIT: Latest link, http://www.digital-rails.com/files/ to get Digital-Rails' "demex_setup151.exe" or "mosaic_setup102.exe".

Before you start, in the RGE, using cursor position, identify the Lat/Long extents of the download that you wish to have. Add a tenth of a degree or two all around if you're uncertain.

If you use this procedure, you don't even have to wait for the map to load. From here, http://seamless.usgs.gov/index.php, just click on the International Data area and proceed as follows. This seems to always work, no zooming required or waiting for the map.

At the Seamless page, on the right side under "Layer Extent", For the UK select the Elevation that you want (as in SRTM Finished 3 arc sec). You'll see a green overlay of the SRTM coverage.

On the left side under "Downloads", select the middle button on the top row for a download by Lat/Long coordinates. This will let you enter your Lat/Long coordinates directly. When the new window pops up, click on "Switch to decimal degrees", and then enter your Lat/Long coordinates.

At the "Request Summary Page", click on "Modify Data Request" and scroll down near the bottom to find the dataset you selected, as in "SRTM 3 arc sec - Shuttle Radar Topography Mission [Finished]". INSURE that the SRTM data set is selected and no other elevation set is ticked. Change the data format to GeoTIFF.

Scroll down to save changes and return to the Summary Page. Press the Download button. Unzip the archive, select the route in DEMEX, then point DEMEX to the *.tif file. That's it...

EDIT: If you were trying the procedure I pointed to earlier, it's not your fault. This newly edited one will work until the next time they change button positions and labels. :)

2) If you have registered DEMEX or decide you need to

EDIT: Latest link, http://www.digital-rails.com/files/ to get Digital-Rails' "demex_setup151.exe" or "mosaic_setup102.exe".
Link to register Digital-Rails' products: https://usd.swreg.org/soft_shop/30411/shopscr1.shtml ("demex_setup151.exe" is also available here)

After registration, install the "demexbeta02.zip" Open Beta for DEMEX from the site listed above.

At "Route" on the menu bar, choose "Select route...". After the quad tree is displayed, at "DEM Management" on the menu bar, choose "Seamless SRTM 90m" (for the UK).

At "DEM Management" on the menu bar, choose "Retrieve DEMs", and you will bypass the USGS site "front end" and directly have the "Request Summary Page". This download is exactly tailored to the needs of your quad tree. Remainder of the procedure is as above.

As a side note, the DEMEX Beta can take over the former duties of the RGE in terms of adding or deleting tiles in the quad tree. You actually need only one standard tile present that was generated by the RGE to get started. DEMEX can do everything else, including the distant mountains quad tree.

regards,
charlie
Last edited by leveritt on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photons66
Very Active Forum Member

Post by photons66 »

Thanks Charlie for that. Great help. :)
Regards.

Dave.
phoenixrd
New to the Forums

Post by phoenixrd »

Hi guys im Very New to UK Train sim Forums, But like most things in this life route Building is not an easy task, so to say i was surprised by all the links that i found about route Building, And useing the Search facility i have manage to find Demex and used the registration of this also found that 3DEM is not used anymore I can now get on and restart the route that i have wanted to build. A extention of the midland mainline From Bedford to Leicester this line runs right past the bottom of my garden Here in Kettering Northants Many Thanks to all of you that have provided all the links that are so important to all us new trainsim, i am Retired so i have all the time in the world to get on with this :ooooooops (thats if her who must be obeyed Lets me get on with it) once again thank you Guys for all The Links,
phoenixrd
cgood124
Established Forum Member

Post by cgood124 »

Thanks to leveritt, this is making route dem so very very easy that method works perfectly.

Cheers once again
Working on Wessex area for MSTS
leveritt

Post by leveritt »

cgood124 wrote:...this is making route dem so very very easy that method works perfectly...
Well, I'm glad that it's helpful. However, since we've been OBE'ed (overtaken by events) again, I have edited the previous procedure to point to the latest links to obtain and/or register Digital-Rails' products.

regards,
charlie
gswindale
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gswindale »

Is there a version of DEMEX that works with a 64bit OS?
Geoffrey Swindale.
Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.

Return to “[MSTS1] Route Building”