BVE 5 update

Another popular Train Simulator with the notable highlight of being freeware! Also note the new OpenBVE version with many new features - well worth a look!

Moderators: TomB, Moderators

JasonM
Well Established Forum Member

BVE 5 update

Post by JasonM »

Mackoy has an update on his blog-
http://mackoy.exblog.jp/

Make sure you read the readme in the download.
--
Jason
johny
Very Active Forum Member

Re: BVE 5 update

Post by johny »

Unfortunately the program insists on a path C:\Users\John\Downloads\Documents\BVE Trainsim\Scenarios, Users\ doesn't exist under Vista, I have also yet to find a way to getting the sound on but the 72 fps is excellent. I tried altering the path C:\Users\John\Downloads\Documents\BVE Trainsim\Scenarios to C:\John\Downloads\Documents\BVE Trainsim\Scenarios in the xml file but it made no difference.

John
Technical Authors Do It Manually

#WolvesAyWe
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

johny wrote:Unfortunately the program insists on a path C:\Users\John\Downloads\Documents\BVE Trainsim\Scenarios, Users\ doesn't exist under Vista, I have also yet to find a way to getting the sound on but the 72 fps is excellent. I tried altering the path C:\Users\John\Downloads\Documents\BVE Trainsim\Scenarios to C:\John\Downloads\Documents\BVE Trainsim\Scenarios in the xml file but it made no difference.

John
There is no sound at the moment, this comes with the next update.

In XP the path works ok for me, I have used different paths but it always defaults back to the default.
A couple of the scenarios do not work beacause the trains are not included.
--
Jason
mstsbe
Been on the forums for a while

Post by mstsbe »

In the meantime, mackoy has released another update of his BVE5 beta: we are now at version 0.3.3413..

New features include the return of some legacy BVE indicators: the 'driving style' indicator (i.e. in BVE2 there was a bar which showed if you drove smoothly, moderate or wild !), now in the form of a moving 3D figure which falls down if you drive too wild ! Also the stopping distance indicators, in the form of a digital indicator (indicating the exact stopping distance) and a stopping bar have returned..

Also a left and right cab view have been introduced, although there is nothing displayed there (only the front panel is modelled). This feature seems to be taken from openBVE, although openBVE intends to support full 3D cabs, so no pseudo-3D cabs like BVE5..

Another feature taken from openBVE is that models now support PNG textures. This is a great progress, because now one can directly create alpha-masks in the texture itself, and models can support semi-transparancy (although this was already simulated in the pre-openBVE era with plain bitmap-textures, but now it becomes official and easier anyway..)

Some sound features also seem to be improved according to mackoy's blog. He also seems to be considering implementing external views, but this isn't confirmed yet..

Download is at mackoy's blog here:
http://mackoy.exblog.jp/11475309/

or if you prefer the translated version:
http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... l=ja&tl=en
mstsbe

New BVE5 website

Post by mstsbe »

mackoy again updated his BVE5 website, which will be bi-lingually (English/Japanese) for the first time in BVE history. In the program itself, one can now select the viewing distance and the level of anisotropic filtering. A new crack system will also be introduced, but the implementation seems to be causing a lot of troubles..

The new version will be posted soon according to mackoy's blog. The new site is at the usual address:
http://mackoy.cool.ne.jp/bve5/
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Another update over at Mackoy's Blog and an updated BVE5 Beta.
--
Jason
mstsbe

BVE 5: safety systems complete

Post by mstsbe »

Part 7 in the BVE5 story: all programming concerning built-in safety systems (ATC, ATS, ATS-P) is complete. mackoy also wants to make a start in documenting the new file formats (xml-based), but this seems for the next update.

The translated post: http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... 5307551%2F
The original post: http://mackoy.exblog.jp/15307551/
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

There is a new BVE5 Beta available to download and file structure information.
--
Jason
mstsbe

BVE5 v0.7

Post by mstsbe »

mackoy having survived the earthquake back in March, he has now released beta version v0.7 of BVE5:
http://mackoy.cool.ne.jp/bve5/

According to Google Translate, there have been the following improvements and fixes:
  • Flange sounds are being implemented
  • Doppler (point source) sounds are now correctly implemented
  • Adhesion is now again a supported route command, but is not yet completely implemented
  • The same counts for the Fog command
  • Regionalization was implemented, so BVE5 now supports multiple languages out-of-the-box instead of with the string.ini files.
  • The block length can be adjusted now as with openBVE, so the fixed 25m block length is removed.
Fixes in the BVE4-5 converter:
  • Gradients are now correctly converted
  • Cylinder shade/lightning bug fixed
  • Wall/Dike/Pole fixes
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 6301320%2F
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... /download/
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Another update from Mackoy, this time Version 0.8
http://mackoy.cool.ne.jp/bve5/download/

Translation via google-

Major updates

[Body Bvets]
Other · moving train.
• Time table.
Jump Station (double-click on the timetable).
Auxiliary Display • Current slope curve radius.
By · F5 key to reload.
Can define a number of improvements · 3D sound buffer.
Respond to changes in pitch due to motor slip frequency ·.
Optimize the error message when loading • Scenario.
GetPluginVersion BVE4 calling sequence according to the Load · ATS and plug-ins.
Fixed a bug that sounds when I put the air relief valve · proportional control.
Fixed bug in get out of control • Some jerk.

[Converter]
Fixed a bug that shifts away · Bescon.
Improved to set any name, such as author name or route ·
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer notes-
http://mackoy.exblog.jp/16496731/

Repackaging, and other supplemental
Scenario folder hierarchy to compress data ... wrong, I have also published without ReadMe.
I uploaded a revised keiseichiba08a.zip
(Scenario data itself has not changed.)

Challenges There are many converters and soft body still 出Shitai It is a firm specification as the official version soon.
I would have kept you waiting when you try to considerable everything from the official version, the ability of some ver. We believe it is better postponed to 5.1.
I think so many people who have already made the data for Bve5 is firmly align and documentation.

From what I have inherited this key BVE1 operations ↓, many people would not know it now did not write anywhere.
F3: Hide / Show Schedule (formerly BVE2 not F4)
F5: Reload Scenario
F6: Closed Doors
F7: Lot
Shift + F7: +5 km / h
Ctrl + F7: -5 km / h
F8: Forward
F9: chart (only the new features work Rika)
--
Jason
Olivier0

Post by Olivier0 »

What are, in a nutshell, the improvements that mackoy is making over openBVE?
pendolinobasher

Post by pendolinobasher »

Olivier0 wrote:What are, in a nutshell, the improvements that mackoy is making over openBVE?

Yeah i would like to know as well because if im honest im happy with OpenBve and don't really want the hassle of transfering everything over if the improvements are gonna be miniscule
Makeone
Established Forum Member

Post by Makeone »

pendolinobasher wrote:
Olivier0 wrote:What are, in a nutshell, the improvements that mackoy is making over openBVE?

Yeah i would like to know as well because if im honest im happy with OpenBve and don't really want the hassle of transfering everything over if the improvements are gonna be miniscule
New version looked pretty good. I liked the possibility to alter the window size by just a mouse drag, altho that's pretty 'old' already. There was one moving train to opposing direction and it also looked pretty nice. I wonder if the human figure reacts a bit too harshly on accleration and decclerations, but that could just be me... :)

Because the BVE5 uses new type of scripting, i seriously doubt that people start to re-make their routes for it. There's a converter, but i have no idea how good work it does.

OpenBVE (or TrainsimFramework, as it should be called from now on...) is getting so popular on it's own segment that BVE5 will gonna have some hard time to compete.
graymac
Out watching Real Trains

Post by graymac »

I have not been able to get bve5 to run at all so I cannot say how good (or not) the improvements are. I am given to understand that there is no support in bve5 for external views (trackside camera, flyby camera etc.) and allowing for this to be the case I would not be interested in adopting bve5 or developing for it.( I ceased support for all new bve4 work with the first Ballyfeckin & Waterville release, it will not be available as other than an OpenBVE route).

It seems that the divergence, in terms of facilities, between Mackoy and OpenBVE/trainsimframework is widening. While Mackoy's original and its derivatives will be good they will be offering a different kind of experience altogether. The differences look like forcing a decision on providers to declare which platform they will develop for, it's too much hassle making version specific program files of a route. In my opinion the European programme is far superior to Microsoft's offering (which also has external views)and is continually improving. Once having had the benefit of the external views, coupled with the realistic driving characteristics, few would prefer to revert to a sim without these options. And most users have left the developers and route builders in little doubt that consumers are hungry for these features.

It's a "no brainer" for me, I'm enthusiastically in Michelle's army on this one!!
Still crazy after all these years, and why wouldn't ye be??
Makeone
Established Forum Member

Post by Makeone »

Umm, 'Microsoft offering'...are you by any change refereing an 10-year old Microsoft TrainSimulator (MSTS)?

And to be quite honest, BVE is suppose to be cab driving simulator, not fully fledger railway simulator like, say, RailWorks is.

OpenBVE/TrainsimFramework tries to combine them both, and altho it does the cab-part in great success, the latter part is, should we say, still in planning stages at best.

And then there's also OpenRails that incorporates the 'oldness' of the MSTS with new, better running code for modern CPU's and GPU's, and obviously, modern Windows too... :D

I still like OpenBVE, but since i'm getting used to for most of the routes, it has kinda left in the background while RailWorks is my current primary 'simulator'.

Return to “BVE and OpenBVE”