OpenBVE Latest Version

Another popular Train Simulator with the notable highlight of being freeware! Also note the new OpenBVE version with many new features - well worth a look!

Moderators: TomB, Moderators

BVECOLORADO
Been on the forums for a while

OpenBVE Latest Version

Post by BVECOLORADO »

@Chris Lees
Just did a quick test of your latest openbve program (yesterdays release),
using one of my damned bloody American mainline locomotives (the EMD SD70 RioGrande, just the loco running lite without wagons)
and a simple test route (the old NorthEastCorridor: Philadelphia short run to dead end wall).
The main program runs great, no issues.

Thanks for the work getting the PI RailDriver hardware to work with openBVE.
Dont own a RailDriver (much too cheap to pay big bucks for any game hardware\software, but might go for one if found at a garage sale or flea market)
I suspect many of the NewYork users do appreciate your efforts. The RailDriver is a desktop style controls & I prefer the
1970~1990 era AAR standard Control Stand with a Westinghouse 26L for the Brake and EMD\GE Reverser+Power+Dynamic for the Master.
Slowly working on a animated AAR stand; the indonesian openbve guys already have a basic oBVE model, but it's incomplete & not very realistic.
PS: consider moving the RailDriver configuration from the Options 2nd page to the 1st page with the other joystick selections, to keep things from being scattered.

Also, tried converting the Sound.Cfg to a Sound.XML on that same SD70 train using your new tool program, with mixed results.
All of the sounds seem to convert ok except for the locomotive bell or music as its named in sound.cfg.
Using the sound.xml, that sound would not toggle with {NumPad - ] key as it did using sound.cfg
so I'll wait a bit longer for you to exterminate the bugs in this new XML format.
I'm hoping you also deprecate all the engine sound configuration in Train.Dat and move it to this new Sound.XML.

Again, thanks for your long hours of work improving openBVE.
BC
BVECOLORADO
Been on the forums for a while

Re: OpenBVE Latest Version

Post by BVECOLORADO »

leezer3 wrote:No trouble.
The XML format is supposed to allow *any* horn to be changed between toggle or press & hold, so something must be a little screwy there, will look into it.

The RailDriver is a mixed bag TBQH. It's not perfect (and ergonomically rather cramped....), & the minute I've set it up to register as per any other joystick, but it doesn't quite work that way in real life.
Don't know why they had to have a custom interface either, registering it as a simple joystick with Windows would have made life so much easier, and probably got it somewhat wider support than it has now.

Various other parts are slowly being re-written, but the way it seems to be going at the minute is that things that someone wants as an 'immediate feature' are worked on first :P
@Chris
Just did another quick test of your revised program, and sound.cfg to sound.xml convertor, of 2017Aug03.
The horn music or bell as I'm using it, now convert and play using new sound.xml as they did from old sound.cfg
Thanks for that fix.

I also wondered why the original PI software developer did not make RailDriver a simple joystick, instead of it replacing a standard keyboard.
Suspect it may have to do with all of the functionality required.

Thanks again.
BC

Return to “BVE and OpenBVE”