Emissive glow and view facing problem

GMax is now capable of making models for both Auran Trainz and Microsoft Train Simulator so you can see your work in both sims very quickly and easily now!
GMax is a sister product to the big 3D Studio Max but also has the distinct advantage of being completely free - and available for download from UKTrainSim.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn1953
New to the Forums

Emissive glow and view facing problem

Post by Glenn1953 »

Hello readers.

Having a problem here with the View Facing box. (3DS Max 2013 64bit / Windows 10). I have followed a couple of 'tutorials' - for both the view facing trees and also for the glow around lights. (I am mostly interested in the lights at the moment). Now here's the thing: Any of the TrainViewFacing shaders used with the 'View Facing' box ticked works great. As soon as I try to use ANY other shader - specifically TrainEmissiveGlow - the 'object' completely disappears when exported to TS. I have tried a couple of methods creating the 'object', like creating a simple Plane or creating a box and deleting all faces except one (which leaves a single plane of course). I have created the texture file using a variety of Alpha channels - everything from black to white (Photoshop).

At one point, I thought it might be because I am using 3DS Max 64 bit, so I 'borrowed' an old version (Max 10) 32 bit, but results are exactly same.

I have tried quite a few different methods of working UVW. I have tried numerous different textures. I have checked and double checked all the boxes (transparent, double sided, view facing, upright view facing etc etc). No matter what I try, I can't get TrainEmissiveGlow to work with View Facing ticked (always resulting in a totally invisible 'object').

Can't help feeling that I am missing something obvious. Like someone out there has a simple solution which is going to make me feel a bit stupid!

So: Can someone please make me feel a bit stupid?

Many thanks
Glenn

I should add that I am not exactly a newbie where Max is concerned. I have created my own 3D track and numerous structures, including some fairground rides.

Return to “3D Studio Max AND Discreet GMax”