3ds Max 2014

GMax is now capable of making models for both Auran Trainz and Microsoft Train Simulator so you can see your work in both sims very quickly and easily now!
GMax is a sister product to the big 3D Studio Max but also has the distinct advantage of being completely free - and available for download from UKTrainSim.

Moderator: Moderators

icairns
Getting the hang of things now

3ds Max 2014

Post by icairns »

Hi,
I am having troubles with 3ds Max 2014. Where is the .ace plugin for this version. I was advised to use .dds files, but can't get Max 2014 to accept them.
Everything worked fine with Max 2011. Can anybody offer any help.
Ian

PS have installed plugins from delevolper docs.
FastlineSimulation
Been on the forums for a while

Re: 3ds Max 2014

Post by FastlineSimulation »

AFAIK there is no .ace plugin available for 2014.

We switched to .dds a while ago so you may find you have to do the same.

In the long run .dds is likely to be the better (and possibly more standard) choice.
icairns

Post by icairns »

Thanks for that. I'll try .dds. Have Photoshop CS6 Nvidia plugins installed. Will give it a try.

Ian
FastlineSimulation
Been on the forums for a while

Post by FastlineSimulation »

No problems.

Just make sure you use the correct settings when you export your .dds http://the-art-of-rws.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -type.html
icairns

Post by icairns »

Hi Train Simulations,
Tried .dds, as suggested. Basic model exporting from 3dsMax 2014 AOK.

The model I am experimenting with is a wooden buffer with a red light lantern at top centre. As stated the basic buffer model and lantern are exporting OK but, the lantern glow is not. It has exported as a flat colour but does not highlight at "night".

Previously I exported as an .ace file with _nm suffix. In older 3dsmax I used 'AddATex' and 'Forward Facing'. Result would be a model with a red night glow after exporting into Train Simulator 2015 and/or Railworks.

Any suggestions what settings I should use for .dds to get same results.

Ian

Return to “3D Studio Max AND Discreet GMax”