Too non driving orientated

General Discussion Topics

Moderator: Moderators

conburt
Been on the forums for a while

Too non driving orientated

Post by conburt »

Technically it’s brilliant but!!
I don’t want to walk around the train, jump into the cab, sit at the driver’s seat or open fuse boxes I just want to drive the thing. It’s the same as the cold start engines being used in TS 2017. By the time I’ve fathomed out how to start the engine all relevant AI’s have disappeared.
Everyone to their own taste but it’s too focused on functions that are not adding anything to the actual driving experience.
Last edited by conburt on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
smarty2
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Too non driving orientated

Post by smarty2 »

Each to their own, but I love the freedom and interactivity it gives a player, I love it! :)
Best Regards
Martin (smarty2)
Non technically minded individual!

Is There A God?
Dudley Bible web page
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

conburt wrote:Technically it’s brilliant but!!
I don’t want to walk around the train, jump into the cab, sit at the driver’s seat or open fuse boxes I just want to drive the thing. It’s the same as the cold start engines being used in TS 2017. By the time I’ve fathomed out how to start the engine all relevant AI’s have disappeared.
Everyone to their own taste but it’s too focused on functions that are not adding anything to the actual driving experience.
But it is simulating what needs to be done in real life. If you don't want that there's plenty of arcade style games available, but this is a simulator and they're adding steps and functions you need to make the train move in real life.
Matthew Wilson, development team at Vulcan Productions

http://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/VulcanFoundry/
fokker
Getting the hang of things now

Post by fokker »

Lets hope they bring out a British 70s-80s version then,where the driver does the driving and the second man does the fannying around :D
conburt

Post by conburt »

I'm not into and never have been interested in Arcade games. I've only got FSX-SE, P3D V3 and TS2017 installed on a Desktop PC.
Varney
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Varney »

If you don't walk about, you won't be able to collect the hard hats and posters. :lol:
dewilkinson

Post by dewilkinson »

My initial reaction is that the train graphics are better, scenery little different quality. I didn't feel in control, where am I on the route?, what is the speed limit, gradient, up and coming signals and speed limits, cameras jump around and seem more difficult to position than in TS2017. Whilst things like hoses jiggling and couplings stretching are nice and more realistic they are irrelevant as far as a driving experience is concerned. The whole point for me is the driving experience, immersion in train operations, route and scenario creation. Walking around to collect hard hats and posters is just a nuisance of which I will get tired of very quickly. Perhaps this aimed more at a gamers market. The target circle mid screen is exceedingly annoying and looks like a 'shoot em' up game'. Maybe there are more options to switch on/off than I have found. To get me interested in this a lot has to change including need for UK route as I'm not interested in US stuff.

Track is also missing and appears only about 100m in front of you in places.
David Wilkinson
Creating the Nene Valley Line
bremen

Post by bremen »

"Beta version: This version is released to a number of testers (the public). It is generally usable, as a prototype. It is not quite ready for public release, but is ready for testing. It may still have bugs."
Track is also missing and appears only about 100m in front of you in places.
"Trackwork is missing on the road ahead when driving It is known that the trackwork randomly disappears or pops in instantly as you drive. We will address this prior to the release of the full product in February."

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 6&t=146530
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

I would not worry one iota about all the walking. It would not be a proper beta if it would not stress the things that are new. And driving is not new.

They explicitly say that other figures will come. So you will not be alone in the cab (unless that is prototypical). And everywhere in the world, this second man or guard or conductor or whatever is the one who plays the running mate.

In the long run, taking over other roles will be a welcome distraction between driving. And driving will remain the thing that most people do most of the time.
Very Active Forum Member

Post by 749006 »

deltic009 wrote:
conburt wrote:Technically it’s brilliant but!!
But it is simulating what needs to be done in real life. If you don't want that there's plenty of arcade style games available, but this is a simulator and they're adding steps and functions you need to make the train move in real life.
But this is set up like an arcade style game where you play hunt the hat.
" Good news you got the train to it's destination without problems but you Failed the scenario as you forgot some of the hard hats"
Hopefully replacing fuses are something you would not be doing in real life ;)
But I suppose a scenario could be where a fuse blows and you have to replace it - similar to VR's locos where if you don't treat the loco correctly the breaker trips and you lose power and grind to a halt.

It's not quite simulating what happens in real life as the engineer would not be shunting a big loco around a yard by himself.

Driving blind is not very good either as you don't know where the next speed change, station, signal is situated.
On the other hand running the Auto racks at 75mph was interesting :)

No Fred's either.

Peter
http://peter749.piwigo.com/
My Railway Pictures
Class92001
Getting the hang of things now

Post by Class92001 »

The sim isn't forcing you to collect hard hats or place posters, so you don't have too. If it was forcing you to collect them then that would be annoying but as far as I can tell it isn't.
Thanks, George.
Free detailed scenarios for Train Simulator - http://railworkscenarios.weebly.com
NeutronIC
Atomic Systems Team
Atomic Systems Team

Post by NeutronIC »

You wont fail anything by not collecting hard hats or doing the posters. It's an entirely optional aspect of the game that you can take or leave :) It's been designed to blend entirely in to the world so that if you dont want to do it, nothing looks wrong. There won't be any big flashing yellow coins anywhere :-P

Things like gradient, upcoming signals, speed limits etc will all be there, they just didnt make it in to this beta unfortunately.

As far as whether it's real life or not - there's only so far you can go when there's only you in the world to be honest. So we've gone with making it a more involved experience - many scenarios or services won't require you to do anything beyond simply driving at all. Just like shunting in TS1 - it's optional, and some people love it. If you're shunting though, it'll be you having to set the points because we haven't quite got to implementing non player characters that can walk around and talk to you etc etc, we thought we'd get trains right first and come back for that later maybe :)

The EOTD / FRED is present in the simulation (because the HOTD works) but currently doesnt have the visual model assigned to it. It was shown in a screenshot some time ago, it's a lovely high detail model that even has its own brake pressure readouts on it and a couple of other bits. It will be there in the final.

What I really wanted from this was to take what we knew, and add more to it - so if you just want to do driving you can do that (as exemplified in one of the scenarios and both services) , if you want to do shunting style you can do that (clear cut), if you want to do rail fan you can do that (spawn on foot in the northern areas), if you want something more free roam you can do that - by spawning in cumberland perhaps near the turntable. If you want cold start locos, those are there. If you want running locos, that's there too. If you want to just walk around on foot and enjoy a new perspective, you can do that. And if you want something to actually look for as a small "side game" then that's what the collectables are for.

It's really about expanding what a train simulator means, hopefully everything you enjoyed about TS1 will still be there though :)

The map view isn't complete at the moment, it will basically work exactly like the one in TS1 with some of its wrinkles ironed out and improved. You can actually change junctions in the map view at the moment - but there's no visual change on the map currently, again that will be resolved.

Matt.
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

Matt (Neutronic)
What I had hoped to see in TSW besides using a 64-bit engine:
TSW to use DirectX11/12.
Object Instancing Upgraded/introduced
Tessellated Terrain to be applied dynamically on the Graphics Card
Multi-Threading Support
GPU to be used for Particle and Effect System
Implement Real-Time Shadows and Lighting plus 3D (Volumetric) clouds
Weather engine
Interactive external settings for AA and AF say via a 'config" file
Use of PhysX on the graphics card
Multicore capable or even true multicore
Will we see any of these enhancements?
pH
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trev123 »

Yes I too like to do things as in real life. I always got satisfaction from going through the full startup procedure of a Boeing 777 in FSX, turning on the various functions to get the turbines to spin. Then setting up your route in the FMC.
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 1060 Strix 6GB Gaming graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram, Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HD, Seagate Firecuda 2 TB HD,
conburt

Post by conburt »

That may be Ok in flightsim where you do not contact ground for clearance until you are ready but if you have to go through a start up procedure on a loco in a scenario all the relevant AI's have long gone by the time you are ready to go.

Return to “[TSW] General Discussion”