Processor & Graphics card advice

This sub forum is for the discussion of computer hardware, rail simulation add-on hardware, operating systems (including their compatibility with rail simulation software). Please note: Any information or advice you take away from this sub forum is at YOUR OWN RISK. Information and advice is provided by users of the sub forum is posted here with best intentions. Use of acronyms / initialisms should be avoided unless you provide proper expansion of same.

Moderator: Moderators

MFMPorter
Well Established Forum Member

Processor & Graphics card advice

Post by MFMPorter »

I am looking to replace my desktop PC with a better one, ideally able to run TS2022 with ease and settings such as graphics turned fairly high.

My intended spec would include Corsair 16 gb RAM memory (2 x 8gb), but not sure whether to go for RTX 3060 12gb graphics card or the 3060ti 8gb. Concerning processor I am torn between Intel Core i5-10600K or KF 4.10GHz, or i5-11600K or KF at 3.90GHz. Is it any better to have the latest in processors or is it advisable to go for the higher speed 4.10GHz (if there's much difference)?

Any advice please would be much appreciated.

Thanks
David W
MFMPorter

Re: Processor & Graphics card advice

Post by MFMPorter »

MFMPorter wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:27 pm I am looking to replace my desktop PC with a better one, ideally able to run TS2022 with ease and settings such as graphics turned fairly high.

My intended spec would include Corsair 16 gb RAM memory (2 x 8gb), but not sure whether to go for RTX 3060 12gb graphics card or the 3060ti 8gb. Concerning processor I am torn between Intel Core i5-10600K or KF 4.10GHz, or i5-11600K or KF at 3.90GHz. Is it any better to have the latest in processors or is it advisable to go for the higher speed 4.10GHz (if there's much difference)?

Any advice please would be much appreciated.

Thanks
David W
....or would it be worth considering an i7 processor?
Thanks again.
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markpullinger »

Hyper threading seems to make stutters worse - I've got it turned off with my i7. So an i5 would be fine - unless you have other programs that can use hyperthreading effectively.
MFMPorter

Post by MFMPorter »

Thanks for getting back to me, Mark. A point I shall bear in mind.

Return to “Technical Discussions - Hardware, Operating Systems”