Mix’n’match RAM

This sub forum is for the discussion of computer hardware, rail simulation add-on hardware, operating systems (including their compatibility with rail simulation software). Please note: Any information or advice you take away from this sub forum is at YOUR OWN RISK. Information and advice is provided by users of the sub forum is posted here with best intentions. Use of acronyms / initialisms should be avoided unless you provide proper expansion of same.

Moderator: Moderators

rkk01
Very Active Forum Member

Mix’n’match RAM

Post by rkk01 »

I know the standard answer is no...

But I currently have 2x 8gb 2666Mhz RAM modules...

Cheapest more bang for buck is to add another 2x8, but with the risk of not being compatible - the alternative being 2x16 at higher cost

Existing memory is Kingston, intended additional modules would likely be Corsair Vengeance
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Mix’n’match RAM

Post by gptech »

rkk01 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:43 pm I know the standard answer is no...
...but what's the question?

Check what the supported timings of any additional RAM are in cases like this; the closer to the same spec you can get the 2 sets, the more chance you have of it working properly.
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

As long as you match the specs, maker, speed, size, etc it should be OK.
It's always best to buy matched original sets same batch, packaging, etc but not always possible.
Do not drop the speed as your RAM will always operate at the lowest speed installed.
pKa
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Post by johnrossetti »

As I have said before, I run TS on two PC's,, one has 16Gb and the other 32Gb or RAM
At no time, in 64bit, have I ever seen TS need more than 4.5Gb so is there a need for much more ?
The only reason to upgrade would, to me, seem to be for faster speed, but that can be a nightmare depending on the CPU.
John
railworks memory.jpg
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

johnrossetti wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 pm At no time, in 64bit, have I ever seen TS need more than 4.5Gb
I've seen it get to close to double figures and I believe Peter's recorded 12 or so. You're right though, 16Gb of RAM should be adequate, though much depends on what else is running when playing TS.
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

John
It's not a question as to how much is used but what "RAM buffer" buffer you have so that the use of the glacially slow paging file is minimised.
Have a look on your 16GB setup - how much "Standby RAM" is displayed if this is significant it can affect running TS as it is not always released when need. In the 32GB setup, it won't be significant.
As Gary says I experienced one scenario with a working set of around 11GB (not RAM used but what RAM was available for use if required for that scenario). The working set (simply) allocates RAM that could be needed by an app such as TS.
Other processes go on in the background whilst running TS and the Windows OS and the more RAM you have the chances of it "being shared" or "cached out to the PF" are lessened.
To me 16GB is fine but 32GB is better as I know whatever just TS might throw at it - I have the capacity to minimise any 'not enough RAM to go around' issues.
Having large amounts of RAM installed does NOT affect how a PC works, it's more a financial cost only. :D
pH

Return to “Technical Discussions - Hardware, Operating Systems”