Graphics card upgrade

This sub forum is for the discussion of computer hardware, rail simulation add-on hardware, operating systems (including their compatibility with rail simulation software). Please note: Any information or advice you take away from this sub forum is at YOUR OWN RISK. Information and advice is provided by users of the sub forum is posted here with best intentions. Use of acronyms / initialisms should be avoided unless you provide proper expansion of same.

Moderator: Moderators

MFMPorter
Well Established Forum Member

Graphics card upgrade

Post by MFMPorter »

Having had a number of out of memory messages in recent months especially 0xC0000005 out of memory, I wonder whether I need to replace my graphics card. When running Waterloo-Portsmouth I have had stuttering and about 5 mins out of Waterloo I have had "failed to create vertex buffer" with no A1 traffic (quick drive), graphics on low and screen resolution down a couple of notches from maximum, whereas on London-Brighton I recently did a trouble-free complete run from L to B.
My current card is GeForce GTX660Ti with a very modest 2048mb of memory and I notice many of the current ones are 6-8GB. My research points towards MSI Radeon RX580 GDDR5, Gigabyte GTX 1070 GDDR5, or MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 Ventus GDDR6. Does anyone have any experience of these or any observations, please? Of course I want something a bit more than adequate for TS2020 64bit, but without going OTT on expense.
Many thanks
David
secludedsfx

Re: Graphics card upgrade

Post by secludedsfx »

What's the rest of your pc's spec though?
PC Spec: i9 10900k, 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 980ti, 1TB NVME SSD
MFMPorter

Post by MFMPorter »

Good question! I have Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @2.70GHz quad core, Pegatron C15B3 motherboard, 750W power unit, 8 GB RAM. On pcgamebenchmark.com the only component to "fail" was my graphics card, but I have wondered whether the processor needs an upgrade as well, and so presumably motherboard.
Thanks
AndyUK
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndyUK »

FWIW I've got a GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 memory and TS2020 runs pretty smoothly off an SSD with most of the settings maxed despite the CPU being a rather ancient i5-2500K overclocked to 4.40 GHz.

Andy L
DigitalRails
Been on the forums for a while

Graphics card upgrade

Post by DigitalRails »

MFMPorter

Post by MFMPorter »

Thanks for both the above replies. Just two more questions if I may: is ray tracing likely to play much or any of a part in TS2020 and would limited overclocking potential (as in a review under trustedreviews.com of GTX 1660 Ti) be a likely issue in future?
Thanks
DigitalRails

Graphics card upgrade

Post by DigitalRails »

MFMPorter wrote:Is Ray Tracing likely to play much or any of a part in TS2020
TS20xx is not designed for Ray Tracing because -
a. It is not based on Physically Based Rendering technology
b. It is only DirectX 9.0 which do not support Ray Tracing

Ray Tracing is a technology for films & AAA games.
The 2013 Pixar film Monsters University was the first animated film to use ray tracing for all lighting and shading
DigitalRails

Graphics card upgrade

Post by DigitalRails »

MFMPorter wrote: Would limited overclocking potential (as in a review under trustedreviews.com of GTX 1660 Ti) be a likely issue in future?
Check it here -
https://youtu.be/JxYZ0jx_IWY
MFMPorter

Post by MFMPorter »

Thanks for the above replies - v.helpful

Return to “Technical Discussions - Hardware, Operating Systems”