Trainz : A New Era (Nickname T2)

A general discussion area on the Trainz Simulator: A New Era (T2) kickstarter project.

Moderator: Moderators

tads1970
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Trainz : A New Era (Nickname T2)

Post by tads1970 »

Update 12:-

Engine Project Update:

What we can share right now are some of this weeks engine tasks from our project planner software:

■Optimize setting up of shader uniform blocks.
■EventQueue needs safer cross platform trigger mechanism.
■Propagate UniformBlock data from Queue/Update thread to draw thread.
■Move to 32 bit floating point color and 32 bit depth buffers.
Now, if you were wondering how the optimisation of those shader uniform blocks is proceeding, you will be pleased to know the comments for the task say:

The GLSLUniforms class contains an array of GLSLUniforms::BlockData objects for each uniform block in the program. However, we only need the ones which are exported via the RenderMaterial to the client. When building the BlockData info, check to see if the block contains any exported values and ignore the ones which don't.

and:

RenderMaterial now has "slotMap" which maps slots to GLSLUniformBlocks. These are per instance for each material. The material should then bind these with the program when the program is about to be used for rendering.

I'm sure a lot of you are pleased that slotmaps are per instance! haha ;)

Trainz: A New Era Project Structure:

It is probably more useful for us to explain that our project structure is quite different to your standard game development schedule.

Usually you start with an engine and then build tools, and then add game systems and content on top of that base. So it's bit like making pizza - create the base and try various toppings until you're happy with the result.

With T2, things are different. We've made lots of pizzas over the years, and we have a variety of favourite toppings (game features, systems, content). What we are doing now is replacing the pizza base while keeping the toppings intact.

Obviously there will be some bits that drop off during the transfer process so we need to rework the topping to get it back to pristine condition. As long as the programmers don't get hungry and eat a few slices along the way, the new pizza will be bigger and better than anything you've ever seen before.

I'm sure regular commentator 'amigacooke' will be pleased to know one of our favourite toppings is meat-lovers (or given the date, perhaps Turkey Breast? :-)

Next, we want to outline the schedule for cooking our pizza, er... I mean the schedule for delivering T2 is as follows:

■Engine integration complete ("Trainz" runs in new engine) - Feb 2014
■Alpha (first look, many bugs, more engine + game features to come) - March/April
■Pre-Beta (new game features + new engine feature added + content added, ready for testing) - June/July
■Beta (all systems complete, content complete, requires testing and polish) - Sept/Oct
■Release - Dec 2014
Happy dining!

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/a ... 4_high.mp4

Daz
rml345
Established Forum Member

Post by rml345 »

Still ticking over nicely, not far to go now.

Richard
rml345
Established Forum Member

Post by rml345 »

7% of funding required with 20% of the campaign time remaining.

The finishing line is in sight. :D
Richard
rml345
Established Forum Member

Post by rml345 »

Initial goal reached :D
Richard
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

rml345 wrote:Initial goal reached :D
I think this news with the development ahead under Dovetail is fantastic. Like many others, I think the next Train Simulator supporting new graphics engine needs to be a clean break for many reasons, so the competition will drive both projects to push for success. That can only be a good thing for the consumer.
Matthew Wilson, development team at Vulcan Productions

http://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/VulcanFoundry/
tads1970
Very Active Forum Member

Post by tads1970 »

I can only reflect on what has already been said by deltic,congrats to all who pledged especially the backers of the 8K pledges without these it may have been a different outcome.
Bring on the ONLY 64 bit train sim....a..choo...choooo. :D
DavidVI
Well Established Forum Member

Post by DavidVI »

YES! A day to celebrate!

I finally backed last week after payday. It feels good to be a part of this after all the years supporting Trainz. If anything it will push the genre forward.
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Acorncomputer »

A while ago I was tempted to buy a Boiler Stay for Tornado but didn't get around to it.

If I had actually sent the donation, then I could now be sitting here thinking of my stay travelling around the country in the modern marvel that is Tornado.

I will definitely make a donation to the P2 Steam Locomotive Company :D

Good luck to all that have contributed to T2, a little part of you will be embodied forever in this long enduring train simulator.

:x-mas:
Geoff Potter
Now working on my Bluebell Railway route for TS2021
RISC OS - Now Open Source
tads1970
Very Active Forum Member

Post by tads1970 »

OrpheusRocker
Established Forum Member

Post by OrpheusRocker »

Last 24 hours or so to get in the game.
[album 236208 35551.gif]
Let me be your engineer, have you smiling ear to ear, raisin' steam - Jethro Tull
captaincooke
Been on the forums for a while

Post by captaincooke »

Can still get on board at http://anewera.trainzportal.com/

Return to “[T2] General Discussion”