I wish I'd thought of that before (Tips for better routes)

Are you thinking about building your own route? or are you already in progress? Talk to the experts in here and find out the best way to do things!

Moderator: Moderators

TOMMO79
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TOMMO79 »

Going end to end or from early parts to latter it's easy to see where my attempts have improved, Route building been a constant learning process I'm always going back and tweaking things as I learn new techniques.

One thing that bugs me and I feel has let my route down is the hedge lofts, laying in segments and getting them to meet the ground, The gaps where gradients change, Visually a bit of a let down. However in the past few weeks I experimented with asset blocks, Putting a single hedge plant from the SAD foliage pack into a long narrow block and upping the density, Easy to move around, Copying and pasting end to end adjusting length where necessary and they hug the terrain nicely, From some angles they looked a bit on the bare side but as the hedgerows in question are on a windblown clifftop I left them as they were.

Here's a screenshot using the asset block with a Woodhead small bramble plant:
2013-09-21_00007.jpg
As you can see it's nice and dense and follows the terrain perfectly with no floaty bits and can be bulked up by adding single assets here and there, My early experiments with the SAD hedge are in the background The question now is do I replace the miles of hedges I spent hours getting right with the new ones?

Anyway, Anyone else got any tips and tricks to add?
Stone75
Very Active Forum Member

Re: I wish I'd thought of that before (Tips for better routes)

Post by Stone75 »

People or vehicles move so don't add them in places they would not be seen often. Add them in the scenario builder. Its easy to slip into creating little scenes in the route editor, but that ties them down for every single scenario. It creates interest when things are slightly different in often visited locations.

steve
maxtedrw
Well Established Forum Member

Post by maxtedrw »

The order: (learnt the hard way !)
terraform
track
rivers
roads
DO NOT USE the landscape tool yet
bridges - this is beacuse you will almost certainly need to adjust the river/road/track to fit the bridge
First go of Elevation tool on track/roads/river

then
Rough cut the landscape to fit roads and rivers and railway
Cuttings and Embankments
Final Elevation tool on track/roads/river
Fine up the fit of the landsacpe to objects placed so far

then
walls and fences, gates etc
level crossings
platforms
signals and other track related objects
buildings
Fine up the fit of the landsacpe to objects ( esp buildings ) placed so far
Elevation tool on walls etc
Use texture tool to layout hedges, woods, etc ground cover
object lighting

then
distant woods/forest
nearby close vegetation starting with middle height ( not trees ) but bushes etc
then vegetation around objects
then finally trackside veg
Detail up with texture tool

Do the veg almost last as veg objects have a habit of preventing you selecting other objects so they need to go in last.

CHECK with the JOIN TOOL that all the track joins
Sidings and platform tool
Telegraph pole tool

Check route in all seasons - winter views can be very cruel at exposing big gaps in the scenery
Halbers
Been on the forums for a while

Post by Halbers »

the last sentence but one..... "telegraph pole tool" ?

Is there an easier way to add telegraph poles than measuring along the track and adding individual telepgraph poles one at a time ?

Would be great if there was !
antonyperks
Very Active Forum Member

Post by antonyperks »

Halbers wrote:the last sentence but one..... "telegraph pole tool" ?

Is there an easier way to add telegraph poles than measuring along the track and adding individual telepgraph poles one at a time ?

Would be great if there was !

Get the Blocks and Lofts Free ware pack, in there you will find Lofted telegraph poles, just offset them from the track or road, no measuring all done for you automatically. http://www.uktrainsim.com/freewarepacks ... ocksLofts1 .
AMD A8-7650K, 64Bit win 10, 240GB SSD-TS2016,Nvidia GTX 960 2GB, 1TB HD,750W Psu, 19" AOC Monitor.
Halbers

Post by Halbers »

Thanks for that !

File sucessfully downloaded.

The novelty of manually placing telegraph poles at a standard distance from each other rapidly faded after a few miles or so. Mind you, discovering that the 'Tab' key automatically aligned the pole at right angles to the track was a help.

Can now rapidly place miles of poles, but my plan is to split the loft at random intervals and place the odd pole here and there just off the vertical, to break up the monontony of perfectly placed poles.
bdy26
Very Active Forum Member

Post by bdy26 »

Good tip using the asset block for hedges - I wouldn't have thought it would be thin enough but it looks great and that will speed things up considerably!

B
http://bdy26.co.uk/sbhh/

Builder of The Cockermouth Keswick and Penrith Railway and Lancaster to Carlisle for RW; purveyor of dirty diesels to Vulcan Productions.
nobkins
Very Active Forum Member

Post by nobkins »

Might well give a performance boost as I believe asset blocks require far fewer draw calls (as the whole asset block is rendered in one call - or at least very few) than placing 20 or so hedge objects.

Great tips keep them coming.

Jim
TrainSimDev.com The community dedicated to those who create content for any Train Simulator.
Includes: Free downloads via torrent or browser, forum browsable by all, membership by invitation (any member can invite someone)
KiwiPete
Night Watchman

Post by KiwiPete »

All good advise given so far, But missing the most important and Very first step....

RESEARCH is the first step…. You cannot hope to do a excellent job without that
Research followed by PLANNING
[moderatoravatar]
Member of the UKTS Forum Moderation Team

Foundation Member
Train Simulation New Zealand (TSNZ) http://tsnz.co.nz
RailNZ fansite http://www.railnz.co.nz
maxtedrw
Well Established Forum Member

Post by maxtedrw »

On the subject of telegraph tool - it is a great way to place repeating objects. I have made my own by copying the existing one and substituting my own telegraph pole file created as scenery. It would be possible to do the same with any single unit repeating object like point rods etc.
Halbers

Post by Halbers »

A couple of more things you might like to try out to make an interesting scene.

1) manual point levers.

These can be selected and moved without affecting the associated track. This means that for a crossover between two parallel tracks they can be positioned together so as to create a rudimentary lever frame, in accordance with railway regulations. A lever can be copied and pasted (CTRL+C, CTRL+V) so as to create a dummy facing point locking lever. They could even be elevated and placed inside a signal box but that might be going too far.

I have placed a steam era workman with an oil lamp at his feet next to one of my lever frames.

2) oil stained track

At the end of a platform, perhaps just before a starting signal where locomotives can be expected to wait, I have placed a Gravel Line Dark between the rails to represent dropped oil and dirt from the locomotive. Just keep a figure on the TAB key when you place it and the gravel line is automatically centralised and aligned with the track, leaving you to only adjust the height.

3) water cranes.

These were often placed between two tracks to as to be accessible from either, e.g. at the southern end of Evercreech Junction on the default S&D route.
But in our world a crane is only operated by a locomotive standing on the marker, i.e. from one track only. The solution is to first place a water crane on one of the tracks, position the marker then position the crane between the tracks without rotating it. Left click on it and note the X, Y and X coordinates from the right hand panel. Place the second crane then without rotating it left click on it and enter the X, Y and Z coordinates from the first crane. Both cranes will now appear as one object.
It looks little odd when the crane is operated but it will be passed by a train a hundred times for evry time that it is actually used.
bailey7802
Very Active Forum Member

Post by bailey7802 »

I recomend using : http://www.doogal.co.uk/LatLong.php when route building.
I am currently using it to plan my longatitude and latitude.
regards
Jake
Regards
Jake

Volunteer at Burton Model Engineering Society
antonyperks
Very Active Forum Member

Post by antonyperks »

Google Earth/ Rw D E C A L works just as well Bailey and it will plot your track ribbons for you too, if you use the add path tool.
AMD A8-7650K, 64Bit win 10, 240GB SSD-TS2016,Nvidia GTX 960 2GB, 1TB HD,750W Psu, 19" AOC Monitor.
bailey7802
Very Active Forum Member

Post by bailey7802 »

fair point antony, I didn't reliease that.
Regards
Jake

Volunteer at Burton Model Engineering Society
thethirdrail

Post by thethirdrail »

antonyperks wrote:Google Earth/ Rw D E C A L works just as well Bailey and it will plot your track ribbons for you too, if you use the add path tool.
It will do WHAT for you if you do WHAT? Sounds intriguing!

I use the google earth add-in for my route building. RW Decal was great and had certain advantages but hitting CTRL-G is just too convenient!
i5 4670k@4.4 - GeForce GTX 770 2GB - 8gb Corsair Vengance - Corsair H100i Extreme Cooler - 40-50 fps and no SBHHs (yet)

Return to “[TS] Route Building”