Steam Account Hacked

Steam is the delivery mechanism for Train Simulator so if you have any issues making it function or questions about how it works before you start then this is the place to get your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

Springer6
Very Active Forum Member

Steam Account Hacked

Post by Springer6 »

Apologies for posting this here rather than in the Steam Section, but I am desperate for early advice as I think my Steam Account has been hacked !

Over the last few days , every time I tried to sign in to Steam, it said my password was wrong. So every time I had to go through the procedure of requesting a verification code to be sent to my e mail address in order to re-set the password.

This same problem occurred several times a few weeks ago, but then seemed to resolve itself.

However today I received an e-mail from Steam to say that my e-mail address has been successfully changed...I did NOT request this change of e-mail address!

Now I cannot change my e-mail back, as true to recent form, my password is also deemed invalid and need of reset.

What can I do to get my Steam account back and log onto Steam ? :(

Is there a way to contact Steam to report this ? Steam support only allows you to change your e-mail via your password and change your e-mail via your e-mail, so I cannot do either as my e-mail and password have been changed.

p.s I went throught the Steam "Paypal verification " procedure and the Steam support said my PayPal verification check was invalid.

I have checked my Paypal account through direct log in and everything seems ok.

Unless I can contact Steam to rectify this, I am afraid that someone is now downloading my extensive Steam Library free of charge and is blocking me from signing on to Steam and so prevents me from using TS.
emrhd01
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Steam Account Hacked

Post by emrhd01 »

Rob.
Proud to be a member of the VW/SSS BETA Testing Team.
alanch
Very Active Forum Member

Post by alanch »

Alan

My railway photos are now on Google + - links to the albums are in this thread http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 9&t=149558

Lots of steam and early diesels from 1959 to 1963.
Springer6
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Springer6 »

alanch,

I've already tried your suggestions, they just keep me in a loop....All account re-setting and verification involves "contacting Steam Support" .....I cannot seem to contact Steam Support unless I have a "valid password" or "valid e-mail". Steam thinks I have neither as someone has changed both !

Is there any way to contact Steam Support without having these details ?

springer
Springer6
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Springer6 »

alanch,

OK after seeing some advice on Steam forums (via google search) I followed your first link "https://help.steampowered.com/en/

The advice was contained here: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/ ... 221/?ctp=2 ...second page sixth post down by "Jesko"

I went through the procedure to "My Steam Account was stolen and clicked change my password.

I did NOT then type in the account name I was trying to recover....I was advised to put in an active e-mail address that is NOT linked to an active Steam Account .

You then get the "can't log in screen"

You fill in all the details , but use the e-mail address for contact that is NOT linked to an active account.

This "seemed" to work as I was given a support ticket whilst they investigate my problem.

I await developments ! I hope support can resolve this quickly as I cannot use TS until it is solved. My previous experience with support tickets has been a very slow response. I hope they can speed up in this case.

It is neither clear or straightforward on what to do when this happens, so I hope that this can help others ( if it works :-? )
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Post by Easilyconfused »

Did you have the 2 factor authentication turned on where you have to get a code from your mobile when logging on?
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
Springer6
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Springer6 »

Easilyconfused wrote:Did you have the 2 factor authentication turned on where you have to get a code from your mobile when logging on?

No I did not as I do not "live" on my mobile, even though I know many people do these days. Steam have contacted me and have requested images of my recent financial transactions with them, which I have provided. Still no Steam Log in though !! :(

Of interest the the hacker's e-mail address seems to have originated in Russia as it ends in .ru .Some will say that this confirms their prejudices. Which is a shame since I know Russia and generally find them to be good people.
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Post by Easilyconfused »

Well I appreciate that some people use mobile phones for their intended purpose i.e. making phone calls. However, 2FA is a valuable security measure.

According to https://www.howtogeek.com/328227/how-to ... -to-steam/ you can set it up to send an email instead.

I'm not trying to shift the blame onto you here, just trying to raise awareness of an extra safeguard you can use.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
Springer6
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Springer6 »

Easilyconfused wrote:Well I appreciate that some people use mobile phones for their intended purpose i.e. making phone calls. However, 2FA is a valuable security measure.

According to https://www.howtogeek.com/328227/how-to ... -to-steam/ you can set it up to send an email instead.

I'm not trying to shift the blame onto you here, just trying to raise awareness of an extra safeguard you can use.
I appreciate your advice. I will, assuming that Steam Support eventually restore my account, have to take whatever extra measures available to try to prevent this from happening in the future.

I think it is significant that I was experiencing repeated password failures for a few days prior to this happening. I had this in the past and when I submitted a ticket to complain, the issue was solved for a couple of months. Then it started again and within days my e-mail was changed also. I sometimes just wonder whether Steam's basic security is flawed ?

Yep and you are right....I use my mobile just to make phone calls,.... boring I know ! :)
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Springer6 wrote:I sometimes just wonder whether Steam's basic security is flawed ?
Given that you seem to be the only one affected it would be fair to say that Steam's security works. That leaves your security to consider: yes, you may avoid *dodgy* looking sites; may ignore links you can't verify as kosher etc but just what do you have installed on your PC to secure your information/identity?....have you turned UAC off? (many do, as many don't know how it works); have you a cookie management schema in place? (minimal risk I know, but there's a risk as the smallest crack in anything can be made wider)
Darren79
Getting the hang of things now

Post by Darren79 »

go to https://store.steampowered.com/login/?r ... edir_ssl=1 and reset password this way not via the game and it will work
TransportSteve
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TransportSteve »

Springer6 wrote: I will, assuming that Steam Support eventually restore my account, have to take whatever extra measures available to try to prevent this from happening in the future.

I think it is significant that I was experiencing repeated password failures for a few days prior to this happening. I had this in the past and when I submitted a ticket to complain, the issue was solved for a couple of months. Then it started again and within days my e-mail was changed also. I sometimes just wonder whether Steam's basic security is flawed ?
Do you log out of your account on Steam when you finish playing for the day? I haven't logged out of my account for 2 years, as I only ever gain access from the same computer every day, if you're constantly logged in, then I would have thought that would thwart any hacking attempts, or, does it not work like that?

Cheerz. Steve.
i5 4690 3.5GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.
Visit my flickr account - http://www.flickr.com/photos/59849121@N08/
GT46MAC
Been on the forums for a while

Post by GT46MAC »

I am afraid that someone is now downloading my extensive Steam Library free of charge and is blocking me from signing on to Steam and so prevents me from using TS
Sad indeed.
Send steam a email describing your problem and your last email id and password you have used.
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trev123 »

I have had a Steam account actually 2 since 2004 and neither of them has been hacked so Steams security must be pretty good. As for cell phones, I am a pensioner and have one sitting by me at my computer. I hardly use it for phone calls as I have a landline. But I do find it useful for 2 step security which I have on a few sites. Also useful for getting texts for appointments reminders for paying accounts etc. It also has a GPS and you can look up google maps if you are out driving and get lost just to see where you are. I have had my account at Ubisoft logged into 3 times by someone else. One person from Russia and another from Cyprus I cannot remember the third one.
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 1060 Strix 6GB Gaming graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram, Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HD, Seagate Firecuda 2 TB HD,

Return to “[TS] Steam Help”