can't verify files

Steam is the delivery mechanism for Train Simulator so if you have any issues making it function or questions about how it works before you start then this is the place to get your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

jands1
Been on the forums for a while

can't verify files

Post by jands1 »

Hi
New one here for me
Went on line in steam (I usually play off line) recently to verify my files, but cannot get anything to work in the local files section of train sim properties.
In DLC steam says non of my assets are installed - but they are, they are working, and they are in the default location.
As far as I know I have changed nothing - the game is working fine.
It looks like staem is not identifying my content

Anyone any ideas

Thanks
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Re: can't verify files

Post by ashgray »

If you already know that your assets are installed correctly, are all working properly, are in their correct, default locations, and that you have changed nothing, it begs the question - why do you need to verify them through Steam anyway?

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Quad Core, Gigabyte Gaming Motherboard, 2 x 512Gb SSDs + 1TB SATA drives,
16 Gb DDR-4 Corsair RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6Gb RAM, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 64 bit
jands1
Been on the forums for a while

Post by jands1 »

Because if Steam is not recognising that I have the game installed it won't do any updates or give me the latest version of TS
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Post by ashgray »

The best way of ensuring that you receive any updates is to go online every so often. Verifying the game cache integrity should not affect the update process at all.

How do you know that Steam does not recognise your TS2018 installation?

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Quad Core, Gigabyte Gaming Motherboard, 2 x 512Gb SSDs + 1TB SATA drives,
16 Gb DDR-4 Corsair RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6Gb RAM, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 64 bit
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trev123 »

Probably your appmanifest file for TS has probably become corrupt. This is the file that tells Steam what TS Steam DLC you have. If you have more than one Steam game installed you well have more of them. I had issues with this file about a year ago with Steam not recognising that I had TS installed. I could still play TS though. To overcome the issue the only way that I found how to fix it was to download everything again. I just did this over a period of a couple of months. Just do a google search on Steam appmanifest files.
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 1060 Strix 6GB Gaming graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram, Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HD, Seagate Firecuda 2 TB HD,
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

jands1 wrote:to verify my files, but cannot get anything to work in the local files section of train sim properties.In DLC steam says non of my assets are installed
As far as your local copy of the Steam client is concerned, you don't have those items installed. As the verify routine is a Steam function it makes sense that it won't work---it doesn't see anything to check.
Trev123 wrote:To overcome the issue the only way that I found how to fix it was to download everything again
That may seem like a big job, and a wee bit OTT but it's probably easier and quicker than trawling the internet and trying oodles of suggestions, possibly making things worse.
jands1 wrote:they are working, and they are in the default location.

That throws in another possible factor--Windows' own "system file protection" measures as C:\Program Files (x86) is considered a system area. Kill two birds with one stone, and save a lot of work and angst and re-install the game and DLC, but outside of the default location---itself considered to be "a good idea"

It's dead easy to do, is supported by Steam, and can be done overnight so you aren't kept off the game.
The first step is the hardest, deciding where to locate the new installation....

C:\Games\Steam
C:\Steam
C:\New_Directory_Cos_Some_Bloke_at_UKTS_Said_It_Was_A_Good_Idea\Steam

are all valid, though the lkast is a little bit long winded..... as long as it makes sense to you and is out of Program Files then you're good to go

If you have a separate physical drive to install Steam to, that'd be even better---not a USB connected external though, transfer rates could be a wee bit iffy.

Once you have a new Steam folder sorted simply copy Steam.exe from your existing installation into it. Make sure you know your Steam account name and password and have access to the e-mail address you used when registering with Steam.

Double click that copied Steam.exe to start the installation.
Steam.exe is a pretty gregarious beastie, hates being alone so it'll zoom straight over to the Steam servers and bring all it's mates back with it---this is why you need your account details and email access as you'll be asked to supply a code that Steam will e-mail to you. Input the code and it'll build a new Steam directory structure. Then it'll download all your DLC.
Go to bed, leave it running and over breakfast the next morning you can view your new installation in all it's glory.
Your original installation stays intact, so you can just simply copy and paste your Assets and Contents folders from the old to the new---no need to mess about with loads of installers.

When you're happy that all works as it should just delete the old installation, though it'd be worthwhile copying and pasting the Assets and Contents folders to somewhere safe to act as a nice backup.

Return to “[TS] Steam Help”