Reinstalling TS, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Steam is the delivery mechanism for Train Simulator so if you have any issues making it function or questions about how it works before you start then this is the place to get your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

Muggles
Been on the forums for a while

Reinstalling TS, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Post by Muggles »

I have been getting an error R6025 Pure Virtual Function Call that kept freezing my game and then CTD.
I ran the tools to see if I had any malware or spyware or what not, and all that came up clear.

So I think perhaps something in the game files were corrupt. So I made a copy, deleted my Steam-TS files from my computer
I will reinstall this to my D drive since I have about 1.63 TB of free space.
However, when I tell the installer from steam to put the files there, it says my D drive has 0 space.

I change that to my C drive (which I have about 150 MB free - game needs about 142 MB) and there is no problem.

But since I am so low on space of the C drive after the game installs, I would rather put it to my D drive.

Can I install to C drive and no worry?
Can I install to C drive and just drop and drag all the steam files to the D drive.
Or is something else an issue?
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Reinstalling TS, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Post by markpullinger »

Hi, it's probably because D is usually an optical drive cd / dvd / bluray. You'll probably find your disk is E or higher.
Muggles
Been on the forums for a while

Post by Muggles »

Nope,,,just checked to be sure.....

E is my optical drive - DVD RW Drive

Opened properties to see spec....
D has 2TB of space with approximately 190 GB used and 1.63 TB free....
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Can you open any of the files on D: ?
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Drive letters:

Windows assigns the letters for any optical drives after it's dealt with the hard drives, so if you have 3 hard drives installed your optical drive would be F. Optical drives are usuallly D because PCs usually come with only one HDD fitted. Once assigned, these drive letters can all be changed if we so desire.
Therefore, the issue here is very unlikely to be because of the drive letter.

Muggles...is D a separate physical drive or merely a logical partition on a larger drive?

Muggles wrote:I change that to my C drive (which I have about 150 MB free - game needs about 142 MB) and there is no problem.
But since I am so low on space of the C drive after the game installs, I would rather put it to my D drive.
Can I install to C drive and no worry?
No. Windows needs free space on the disc for handling the page file and any temporary files it creates; also many background processes need 'x' amount of free space to work in/with---defrag for example will not work unless you have 15% of the drive's space free (Windows 7 figure, newer versions of Windows may have differing requirements)
8MB of free space is nowhere near enough, and if the physical drive is formatted into several logical drives each would need that % of free space.

Can I install to C drive and just drop and drag all the steam files to the D drive.
Yes and no......all you'd copy is Steam.exe, placing it in a Steam directory on D:---It's entirely up to you if you have the full path as D:\Steam, D:\Games\Steam, D:\TS\Steam, D:\Train Games\TS 2017\Steam etc as long as Steam.exe is in a Steam directory.
Double click that Steam.exe and it'll create the rest of the Steam system for you. Once it's done that it'll download your Steam acquired DLC----you can pause that and just copy & paste your backed up Assets and Contents folders into the new installation. You may need to run 'verify' to get things to properly synch up, so it's really better to let it run and download a nice fresh copy of the game, particularly as the error you've been getting is a Visual C++ error, indicating a problem with a program.

Personally though, I wouldn't install anything to a drive that's suspect---Windows is telling you 2 conflicting things; that's it's got loads of space and that it hasn't so that needs resolving before it can be trusted.

Was this drive fitted when you got the PC?
Does it show in Device Manager and in the Disk Management section of the Computer Management snap-in? (Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Management)
Does it show in the BIOS?

Return to “[TS] Steam Help”