Steam will not start other than on boot up

Steam is the delivery mechanism for Train Simulator so if you have any issues making it function or questions about how it works before you start then this is the place to get your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

Springer6
Very Active Forum Member

Steam will not start other than on boot up

Post by Springer6 »

Hello All,

I have recently discovered a problem with Steam.

When my PC with Steam installed boots up, I get the usual usual Steam "verifications", "dowloading latest add ons", "installing add ons" etc .
This can take several minutes, during which time everything else is inoperable or runs very slowly. If I do not intend to use Steam on the session, I sometimes delete the Steam updater.

In the past I was able later in the session to restart Steam by clicking the desk top shortcut or by finding steam on my hard drive and starting it from the application. I have found recently that I am unable to do this. Steam will not start, whatever I try. The only remedy is to shut down the pc and restart it so that Steam can start automatically.

Is there a way around this ?

springer6
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Steam will not start other than on boot up

Post by gptech »

Firstly, deleting stuff is rarely *the* answer, there's an option in the Steam client to turn off the "load on boot" feature. That will reduce your boot time considerably.
Setting Steam to work offline will reduce it's loading time for when you want to play, though of course you may want to be online for Steam Community features.
Springer6
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Springer6 »

Yes when I said "deleting" I meant stopping the progress of the updater, by closing its window. Its still there the next time I boot the pc. I didn't know that you could turn off the load on boot feature , but is this just the updater or for Steam as a whole ? The point is I still want to start steam after booting up and doing some other work, without having to re-boot to get steam to start. I used to be able to start steam from the application or its shortcut at any time, but this seems to be no longer possible ?

I could run steam in offline mode as I used to and thus avoid the updater, but as you say this prevents me from using the workshop etc.

My ideal solution would be to find out how to start Steam after having closed the updater window, just as I used to do.
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Setting Steam not to load on boot does exactly that...no part of Steam is loaded. Just as not having Steam getting in the way will speed up the boot process, not having the boot process in the way will speed up Steam's loading when you double click the TS shortcut, or any other method you use.
I'm not near a PC so can't say where the option is, but a search for "run Steam at boot" would yield it's location.
First thing though is to be absolutely sure that you have a good installation of Steam. Let the update run and close down Steam fully from the clients menu, not just by closing the client which still leaves it running in the background.
It should then start as it should when invoked, if not you'd need to check manually for updates through the client.
Springer6
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Springer6 »

Thanks Gary,

That is exactly what I was looking for . I searched "disable steam at start up" and the answer was :

With Steam open, click the Steam menu, and choose Settings.

Click on the Interface tab, and uncheck the box that says:

"Run Steam when my computer starts."

I did exactly that and when the pc boots it starts , much more quickly , without Steam.

A click on the Steam shortcut when required causes Steam to start in the normal way.

Thanks again.

Springer

Return to “[TS] Steam Help”