A friend in Need : HELP !

Steam is the delivery mechanism for Train Simulator so if you have any issues making it function or questions about how it works before you start then this is the place to get your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

shinymac
Very Active Forum Member

A friend in Need : HELP !

Post by shinymac »

Hi Chaps

Yesterday, my friends Train Simulator was working fine. Today it is in a bad state !

It doesnt matter whether he tries to start it by clicking on the Desktop Icon, or via the STEAM page, or indeed via "railworks.exe" file on his hard drive...the symptoms are the same....ie...

The game starts up and he can click on the "Drive" option. But no matter which route or which scenario (Standard or Career) he chooses, he immediately gets a "Save to dump" error message, and the game crashes. As far as I am aware, he hasnt tinkered with anything since he used it successfully last night.

I appreciate this isnt a lot of information for you to go on, but can anyone suggest a resolution to his problem please guys ?

Thanks

Derek
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Re: A friend in Need : HELP !

Post by gptech »

The first thing to ask is "what has changed?"
Did he install anything---a reskin or Workshop item as examples?
Can you get him to run LogMate (found in the Railworks directory) and then start the game?---when the game then crashes copying and pasting the last dozen or so lines from the LogMate report could point to where the problem lies.
davep
Very Active Forum Member

Post by davep »

I'm going to guess it's too many scenarios (in total) for TS to load.
Asus Z97-K. Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4 GHz. 3GB NVidia EVGA GTX780Ti. 16GB DDR3 RAM. Sound Blaster Z. Windows 10 64 bit.
2x960GB SSDs, 3x2TB internal HDDs and 2x1TB & 1x2TB external HDDs.
Running TS @ 3840x2160 on a 4k TV.
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Post by ashgray »

Sorry Dave, but how is that in any way helpful? we have no idea yet how many scenarios the OP's friend has installed, or what changes may have been made to his system. :roll:

Guessing, at best, is unlikely to help and, at worst, could cause more problems. Why not simply wait to see what the response to Gary's question is?

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Quad Core, Gigabyte Gaming Motherboard, 2 x 512Gb SSDs + 1TB SATA drives,
16 Gb DDR-4 Corsair RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6Gb RAM, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 64 bit
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

My guess is that something's gone wrong.

Honestly Dave, whilst I appreciate you're trying to help, guessing has no place in trouble shooting a system, even less of a place when it's somebody else's system, and gets into the negative side of the numbering scale when it's somebody else's system but you're waiting for answers to questions that are passing through a 3rd party.
Let's start with an easy guess if we're going to go that way...it's obvious that the guy's PC isn't up to the job---I can recommend a number of systems that won't cost much more than a grand but will fix all known ills and approximately 73% of unknown ones.

On the point of "too many scenarios"---that's never been proven to be a problem. Think about it, the answer to the *too many scenarios* problemyth is to reduce the number of installed routes. OK, that does reduce the number of scenarios, but as a secondary consequence of slimming down the load on the system---trimming the total number of assets installed may have exactly the same result. Corruption of the scenario database may be the reason, but that is not a direct result of the number of scenarios installed.
As Ash has stated, lets theorise once we have some facts or observations on which to base the theories.
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

To solve this type of situation, we need this type of info.
Windows + R key type in Msinfo32 press enter note what it says.

System Summary - Points of importance:
OS Name and whether 32-bit or 64-bit (under system type)
OS Version
Installed Physical Memory
then choose
Components
Choose storage
Choose Drives
• List the Hard drives info – two items needed: (especially the TS2017 drive)
• Size
• Free Space
UAC on/off
TS2017 installed in Program Files(x86)??
Choose Display
Note Adapter Type or adapter description
Adapter RAM
Driver Version
Monitor(s) number and resolution

Diagnostic Tests:

Run dxdiag – a diagnostics tool used to test DirectX functionality and troubleshoot video- or sound-related hardware problems.
Windows + R key type in dxdiag press enter note any error messages in any one of the tabs..

Run the System File Checker which is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files.
Windows + R key type in sfc /scannow press enter note any error messages (space after sfc very important)

"too many scenarios" would not prevent TS2017 from starting - they don't come into play until you choose one. A "corrupt" scenario could "corrupt" the scenario/route databases and prevent TS from starting.

pH
shinymac
Very Active Forum Member

Post by shinymac »

Hi Gary et al

Thanks for your input so far.

An update to events now.....my friend has done a "clear cache", and a "clear download cache", and a "file verify" so far. He now finds that CAREER scenarios will load up without problem. But sadly any STANDARD scenarios still wont work and generate a dump file error after trying to load.

He has run "logmate.exe" and started a scenario up that he knows will crash. He has then checked the logmate file, and one line of text has been generated at the time of the relevant crash. But he is not too sure what to do next? He has tried opening that line of text, in order to see what details are contained within it, but he doesnt seem to possess the relevant "app" to open it so it can be read.

Does this help you Gary ? What more info do u need ?

Cheers bud

Derek
RolandBP
Established Forum Member

Post by RolandBP »

This is a longshot, but may I suggest, your friend may have gone into "Settings" and moved the "Graphics" settings to a higher level than his/her system can handle?
A number of people including myself, have been having this "crash to dump file" with some routes that overtax their setups. I have one route that is being reworked that forced me to go from the Highest Graphics setting down to Low, just so I could run it, fortunately that particular route has had a lot of unnecessary "stuff" removed and now I can run it at Medium graphics setting.
This may not be the problem your friend is having, but it may be of use for furthering his/her knowledge of what can happen with this sim.

Best Regards, Roland.
shinymac
Very Active Forum Member

Post by shinymac »

Hi Roland

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually my friend installed the Western Mainlines South Devon Extension the other day and he noticed that the scenery detail wasn't as dense as it should be. So he checked his settings and ramped up the level of detail. It was after that day that his problems started. But....sadly, today when I asked him to lower his settings again......it didn't make any difference to his crashing. Doh. So that seems to have had nothing to do with his problem

For anyone (Gary where are you ? !) happy to continue trying to solve his problems, just to repeat...he can load up Trainsim, to the point where all his driveable routes will show up, in Standard or Career Modes. He then selects a scenario which starts loading for a few seconds as normal. However the then gets a system crash with a "dump file" error message. It doesn't seem to matter which route or which scenario he chooses...its the same result.

The only other thing that we did before this latest problem arose, was to install the "Chinley" route onto his PC. But although that route wouldn't work when we tried it, (reason unknown), we did have a successful run on the "1066 Line" AFTER THAT.

He would still like to know how to decipher and read the error message generated by "logmate" when his system crashes.

Can anyone else please keep trying to suggest solutions, as he is in a low way because of this problem !

Thanks Again

Derek
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

Derek
Any reason why we can't see your friend's computer specs? I see you may have "ignored" my post completely - any reason? Is it not clear? Let me know and I can expand upon it.
Where is the logmate printout?
Does the event viewer or reliability history show any errors at the time of the crash and what are they?
Has he tried the diagnostic tests I list above?
Obviously verified the integrity of the game cache until no more fixes needed?
At the moment we have very little to go on.
Has he downloaded any Workshop scenarios lately?
If yes unsubscribe and remove them from the PC.
He may have to rebuild the route/scenario databases in case they may have been corrupted.
Thanks
pH
shinymac
Very Active Forum Member

Post by shinymac »

Hi Peter

There is no reason that I havent included my friends computer specs,other than the fact that his system was purpose built for him by someone who also built a virtually identical system for me. And both our systems are very high end and extremely powerful systems, that have been capable of anything thrown at them by trainsim so far ! I can find out his specs for you, but I doubt that this problem he has, is anything to do with having a PC that cant handle something.

If you see my recent post, I have got him to do several "File Verifys" and there are now no errors when this completes. I have got him to do a "clear cache" and a "clear download cache" also. He has tried lowering his graphics settings and restarting the game again, but this doesnt solve anything. He hasnt downloaded any workshop scenarios recently either.

What other "diagnostic tests" are you suggesting he now tries that he hasnt tried already please ?

As per my post above, he has ran logmate, and then tried to start the game. This does indeed create an entry on the logmate report. But it is only ONE LINE of text. Has has tried opening this line of text with wordpad, notepad etc etc, but just gets a load of gobbledegook showing on the screen ! I will ask again...how does he interpret this one line of text so he has more clues as to the root of the problem ? He is happy to post THE LINES of text from his logmate, but he dont have lineS....he has just ONE line of text as far as I can tell.

We are willing to try ANYTHING that you recommend that doesnt involve re-installing STEAM or Trainsim.

Thanks Peter

Derek
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

Hi Derek
Ask him to look at "reliability History" there should be an error recorded when TS crashes.
Click on the "critical event", if it states railworks or anything to do with TS - click on the critical event or under "ACTION" to see what is causing the issue.

You should try sfc /scannow and dxdiag to eliminate system errors. GOOGLE on procedure.
The computer specs they are important in case its a hardware problem!

As I say I would unsubscribe/remove ALL latterly Workshop scenarios,then rebuild the scenery db and the route db -
Close Steam/TS2017 navigate to :\STEAM\steamapps\common\railworks\Content and delete/rename 4 files: SDBcache.bin and its corresponding .MD5 file and RVDGCache.bin and the .MD5 file. Restart steam and TS and TS will rebuild these 2 databases.

Any updates in antivirus software (firewall) - my latest update to Bitdefender stopped all .exe files from working! I hadn't made any changes!!
pH
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Sorry for a rushed and terse post, but I'm snatching a break (at work y'see)

shinymac wrote:There is no reason that I havent included my friends computer specs,other than the fact that his system was purpose built for him by someone who also built a virtually identical system for me. And both our systems are very high end and extremely powerful systems,
Even the most powerful system can be brought to it's knees by a single, seemingly insignificant corrupt file, so knowing the details may not seem relevant to many but to anybody trouble shooting it's handy to have as many details as possible.
shinymac wrote:I have got him to do several "File Verifys" and there are now no errors when this completes.
If the *fault* lies in a file NOT supplied through Steam, no amount of verifying will change things---verify only works on what verify knows about, and all it knows about is what has been distributed through Steam.
shinymac wrote:As per my post above, he has ran logmate, and then tried to start the game. This does indeed create an entry on the logmate report. But it is only ONE LINE of text. Has has tried opening this line of text with wordpad, notepad etc etc, but just gets a load of gobbledegook showing on the screen
Make sure he is actually starting LogMate before he starts the game, and leaves it running--the report should include more than a single line and the last dozen or so can be simply highlighted with the mouse and copied into a text document.
shinymac wrote:We are willing to try ANYTHING that you recommend that doesnt involve re-installing STEAM or Trainsim.

But you've more or less done that by running verify!---that's why it's the next to last resort, just one step short of a full re-install.

Find out exactly what he's installed, or changed since it last ran properly
shinymac wrote:The only other thing that we did before this latest problem arose, was to install the "Chinley" route onto his PC. But although that route wouldn't work when we tried it
Is that route still installed?
brysonman46
Very Active Forum Member

Post by brysonman46 »

peterfhayes wrote:
As I say I would unsubscribe/remove ALL latterly Workshop scenarios,then rebuild the scenery db and the route db -
Close Steam/TS2017 navigate to :\STEAM\steamapps\common\railworks\Content and delete/rename 4 files: SDBcache.bin and its corresponding .MD5 file and RVDGCache.bin and the .MD5 file. Restart steam and TS and TS will rebuild these 2 databases.
pH
Just like to clear up the misunderstanding many have about the 2 databases in the Contents folder. I copy over the reply I placed in the RWTools Topics
"A quick look at SDBCache.bin suggests that it holds the information to populate the Drive Menus. I.e., for each type of scenario the list of <Route, Name of scenario with description, difficulty and player loco>. It also holds the start location, whether the scenario has been completed (ie for the "ticks") and the length of time played "on line". I could not see any info on consists that may have been used in the scenario.
The file is consulted on start up, and is updated if one constructs or deletes scenarios in game.
For the QD menu, it lists those available by route, though it must get the consists available from the PreLoad files that one holds in the Assets folders. These are NOT stored in this file.
There is an accompanying RVDBCache.bin, which looks like it was originally designed to hold a "RailVehicleDatabase", but I do not think that Kuju continued this concept (much like Roads.bin and Lofts.bin in Networks, that were originally designed to be used like Tracks.bin)"
I have since looked at the "PlayerProfile" and that seems to hold information on Routes and Assets. I would be wary about archiving this to allow it to rebuild, but that may also be a help.

Nick
shinymac
Very Active Forum Member

Post by shinymac »

Hi Again Guys

Thanks for the further suggestions.

My friend has completed a "sfc/scannow" check, which didn't find any faults.

Logmate archive shows many critical errors, (some going back some time, despite the fact that TS has been working fine for him till the other day). However, the only line of text that is generated when he has a TS Crash, is something like "railworks.exe has stopped working" doh ! WE KNOW THAT ! He cannot see "lines of comments" relating to the crash.

Further more, I have asked this three times now, but had no replies....How does he READ the error comment or anything else that might be generated by Logmate ? He tries to open the file with apps like notepad, or wordpad, and a load of gobbledegook comes up. And what does he have to do to get more than one line of text as an error comment ?

He is now considering contacting STEAM support, but would that help if the problem is not with STEAM (all his other adventure games run by STEAM seem to work fine). ?

The other thing that has been suggested is that he renames his current railworks folder, uninstalls Train Simulator, then re-installs Train Simulator, which will create a new railworks folder. Then tries TS to see if all is well. If after several checks, all seems ok, then he deletes the new railworks folder just created, and copies his original one back over, renaming it "railworks" again. Would this help solve his issues ?

Thanks guys !

Derek

Return to “[TS] Steam Help”