What is folder # 24010 in my Steam Folder?

Steam is the delivery mechanism for Train Simulator so if you have any issues making it function or questions about how it works before you start then this is the place to get your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

TransportSteve
Very Active Forum Member

What is folder # 24010 in my Steam Folder?

Post by TransportSteve »

I've logged on this morning and found out that Steam has drained my hard drive by installing my entire library of Railworks DLC, that currently stands at about 135 GB, in a folder called 24010 that sits in a Downloads folder in the SteamApps folder. What is 24010, is it Workshop connected, I don't even know where to start with this problem, I am now left with 1 GB on my HD, I have worked out that approx. 95 GB has been downloaded so far, then, of course it has stopped as I have run out of disk space, if I delete all the Assets folders and route content folder, will that help, or, will it just attempt to install it all over again, will getting rid of this 24010 folder do any good, any help gratefully received.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.
i5 4690 3.5GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.
Visit my flickr account - http://www.flickr.com/photos/59849121@N08/
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Re: What is folder # 24010 in my Steam Folder?

Post by Trev123 »

Something here. I have that folder too. Something to do with Workshop scenarios ? http://www.raildirector.net/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a I would leave it alone if everything works. Why fix it, if it ain't broke.
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 1060 Strix 6GB Gaming graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram, Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HD, Seagate Firecuda 2 TB HD,
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Post by ashgray »

Trev123 wrote: Why fix it, if it ain't broke.
Simply because no amount of Workshop scenarios will total 95 Gigabytes in size. Something is clearly wrong.

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Quad Core, Gigabyte Gaming Motherboard, 2 x 512Gb SSDs + 1TB SATA drives,
16 Gb DDR-4 Corsair RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6Gb RAM, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 64 bit
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trev123 »

http://ftp.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php ... &p=1799571 It is also a number for a Steam DTG App. http://ftp.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php ... &p=1799571 I have the 24010 folder but mine is 27gb. TS2017 still works fine though.
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 1060 Strix 6GB Gaming graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram, Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HD, Seagate Firecuda 2 TB HD,
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

24010 is the Steam ID for TS.
Accordingly, anything you download will first of all go in a folder under that ID in your "Downloads" folder.
Steve, just what is in that folder?
TransportSteve
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TransportSteve »

Gary, this is the contents of my folder 24010 currently, a couple of the folders are empty ( PackageInfo & Screens ) presumably as I don't have any disc space left, all the asset and route content folders are made up of the relevant .AP files, and assorted Asset files.

Cheerz. Steve.
24010 folder.jpg
i5 4690 3.5GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

I can't make out the text etc in the screenshot on my phone, but the only reason Steam would (or should have) to throw all your DLC at you is because your assets and routes were missing. Missing covers "there, but not in the place Steam expects to find it" so make sure your folders haven't somehow been moved.
TransportSteve
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TransportSteve »

Nope, nothing has moved, Gary, it is just duplicating all the folders that are already in situ in my SteamApps > Common > Railworks > Assets and Content folders.

Cheerz. Steve.
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

It's actually installing the whole game, you have the Manuals and Data folders in there (amongst others)
I take it that it isn't the drive Windows lives on, and you've just kept the "Program Files (x86)" folder name --I doubt it's an issue here but retaining the name could still make windows see it as a protected system area (can't find an authoritative "yes" or "no" on that one yet) but if for some reason Windows is now not letting Steam see the existing install.....

Can you cut your Assets and Routes folders out of the game to somewhere safe?....if you can, or have an up to date back up which would allow you to delete those 2 folders, that would free up the drive space to allow Steam to do what it needs to do, then you'd just put back your full Assets and Contents folders.
Doesn't answer the question of why it's happened of course, but (eventually) gets you back up and running properly.
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trev123 »

It might have something to do with WS scenarios. Every time I start TS a message pops up saying installed WS scenarios but I didn't subscribe to any. Just had a look at the WS scenarios under the in game WS tab and I have quite a few WS scenarios that I haven't subscribed too. Don't know whether this is the same issue or not if it is an issue as TS runs alright.
TransportSteve
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TransportSteve »

gptech wrote:It's actually installing the whole game, you have the Manuals and Data folders in there (amongst others)
Can you cut your Assets and Routes folders out of the game to somewhere safe?....if you can, or have an up to date back up which would allow you to delete those 2 folders, that would free up the drive space to allow Steam to do what it needs to do, then you'd just put back your full Assets and Contents folders.
Hmmm, yes, it is installing the whole game again and no, with all my 3rd party installations and UKTS library stuff collected over the years my Assets folder it's over 350 GB plus, and with the Routes folders that takes it to over 450GB, don't forget that I've extracted all the .AP files to be able to implement repaints and sound packs, on much of my British, German and American content, plus all my Payware stuff from all the developers around Europe.
I've disconnected it from Steam at present, I'll have a think over the next few days and see if I can fudge something, as you say it's got to be able to carry on with its downloading to clear its programme within Steam as it won't let me do anything else until it updates and I have to allow enough space in my game somewhere to do it.
I'm sure that Workshop has something to do with it, but, this hasn't happened before so unsure what can be done to remedy the situation.

Cheerz. Steve.
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trev123 »

Why not ask on the Steam forums or at DTG TS support. That would of been my first port of call. :)
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trev123 »

Reply from the Steam forums that I got.

"It's a temporary location for the time Steam client is downloading something for the game, an update or a newly obtained DLC. It should be deleted by the Steam client automatically after the update has been completed. If the game isn't scheduled to be updated / when it finished updating, it's safe to delete it."
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Post by ashgray »

Trev123 wrote:Why not ask on the Steam forums or at DTG TS support. That would of been my first port of call. :)
Actually, your first "port of call" was to tell us that the files were related to workshop scenarios and to leave them in place...

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Quad Core, Gigabyte Gaming Motherboard, 2 x 512Gb SSDs + 1TB SATA drives,
16 Gb DDR-4 Corsair RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6Gb RAM, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 64 bit
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

TransportSteve wrote:I've extracted all the .AP files to be able to implement repaints and sound packs,
Which is overkill---you only need to extract the .bin for any item of rolling stock to enable RW Tools to see it, repaints only need the .GeoPcDx files extracting as they come with all the textures and .bin files etc that they need. Extracting the contents of .ap archives and then removing the archive is now even more *suspect* as it's been noted by several members that loading times are significantly reduced when routes and assets are mainly in the .ap format, and of course if you've removed the .ap archives Steam will want to put them back---it's how the system is designed to work!
Yes, you've a huge installation there; much bigger than the average but that's not a reason to have a backup, or at least a strategy in place for if you need to temporarily move your goodies out for safekeeping. Given your obvious financial investment in assets etc then another 40 quid or so for a USB external drive for archive purposes is a wise purchase (one at random, 1TB--https://www.cclonline.com/product/20206 ... e/BAK6901/)

Workshop scenarios have been suspected of being the root cause of other issues, you may want to consider the method of downloading/installing Workshop content outlined in http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 5fc783f6ba
ashgray wrote:
Trev123 wrote:Why not ask on the Steam forums or at DTG TS support. That would of been my first port of call. :)
Actually, your first "port of call" was to tell us that the files were related to workshop scenarios and to leave them in place...
The first port of call should have been to correctly identify just what the hell the '24010' was for, instead of guessing. A quick Google search for "steam 24010" soon tells you what's what (though I'm surprised that long standing users of the game/this forum weren't aware of it, the game has had that ID number since day 1 of being available through Steam, regardless of which yearly version we're talking about)

Return to “[TS] Steam Help”