Opening train Simulator 2017

Steam is the delivery mechanism for Train Simulator so if you have any issues making it function or questions about how it works before you start then this is the place to get your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Opening train Simulator 2017

Post by gptech »

Yes Keith, but default scenarios for Rivera 50s don't make use of Kuju assets---like all DTG routes it comes self confined.
What will be more of an influence on loading times for this route is the advanced nature of the locomotives, once again something we all want but also comes at a price.
So far only Peter has split the various elements of loading times into their distinct and separate parts--loading of Steam, which with a slow internet connection can be significantly increased when on-line; loading of TS itself, scenarios routes and locos all indexed to populate the menus, every QD consist made available; and lastly the route/scenario, obviously scenery density plays a part here, number of rolling stock assets and their complexity but all in all far more worthy of imediate investigation than pointing to the Kuju folder.
We don't know just what devon has installed, and I for one don't know what the spec of a "fast" Windows 7 PC" is nor how "fast" is defined so there are 2 or 3 more grey areas that really should be clarified.
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

I doubt the size and/or complexity of the KUJU folder has any effect on loading times.
For a start using Process Explorer/Monitor shows that the KUJU folder is not/minimally accessed/checked during initial loading - yet every single TS2017 .ap file (whether to be used or not) is.
In my initial loading of 50 seconds, TS may have accessed up to 14,000,000 lines of relevant code.
Now when a route/scenario is chosen we then see the individual assets, route, scenery, etc etc loaded including those from the kuju folder.
Even if the KUJU folder is huge it is still relatively fast for TS2017 to retrieve any file in that folder.
A problem may arise if the base TS code makes a call to a particular address, (which may or may not be attributable to the KUJU folder, per se,) this could create a hard page fault(s) causing a slowdown in loading and if serious enough a TS crash.
I have always maintained that one or more "corrupt" /"Incomplete" / "rogue" files in the KUJU folder could cause any slow down and if serious enough a crash.
IMO UAC (TS installed in Program Files (X86) folder) and antivirus/malware software are the biggest causes of performance issues in TS and including mismatched PC components, ie hard drive performance, not enough RAM, etc etc.
pH
devonman2
Been on the forums for a while

Post by devonman2 »

Thanks all for the replies and views on this subject it seems by the comments made that running TS from that initial touch of the steam/ts button we all seem to have roughly an equal starting time. I only have the original Steam download plus the two Riveria routes, nothing else added as yet. Virginmedia broadband, quad processor gt430 card 8 memory and 350 harddrive and a 40" monitor (TV).
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

DM2
the main reason that you have long loading times is because of your GT 430 trying to drive a 40" Monitor (what resolution).
TS2017 requires a minimum memory bandwidth of 60GB/sec to operate reasonably well your GT430 has low speed VRAM and a Memory Bandwidth of <30GB/sec.
If the resolution is up to 1920 x 1200 you may need a videocard with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM. Over that 4GB is recommended.
That configuration will ensure slow loading times, unfortunately!
pH
devonman2

Post by devonman2 »

PH thank you for that info, I would not do without my 40" monitor now after 3 years of use. so looks like sometime I will have to up the video card. I did get a quote last week for ) the Nvidia 1050 etc card plus an additional drive at under £250 (but do I need a new motherboard as well?) so that is a way to go perhaps but Corel Painter have just put out an upgrade at £98 so everyone seems to be after my money even Dovetail Games with their sale. :)
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

devonman2 wrote:but do I need a new motherboard as well?
You shouldn't need a new motherboard to utilise a 750, and it's quite unlikely that you haven't a free SATA port for an extra drive--is it a spinning disc or SSD? ; an SSD would give the fastest reads and therefore shorter loading times.
If your budget allows you'd probably be better looking for a GPU with a wee bit more than a 750 though, as good as it is (particularly if you opt for a Ti Boost version) you have a need for something with decent 'oomph' and vRAM to drive the 40" beast---it's possible to go to a 4GB 1050Ti with a 256Gb SSD for around £250, and moving to a 1060 plus a chunky spinning drive isn't much over that figure. Opinions differ of course, but personally I'd opt for the *better* GPU over the faster drive if budget was a major factor.
What exactly is your CPU?---you've mentioned 3200 in another thread but I doubt you're running an Intel Xeon and it can't be an AMD Athlon 3200 as that's a single core model.

If you can post more details about your machine we'd be able to get a better picture of just what's 'inside the box'
devonman2

Post by devonman2 »

gptech, my memory is playing tricks the processor is as per attachment and I do not seem to have any slow affects at display.
processorw.jpg
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

OK, despite being classed as a 'budget' or 'entry level' CPU that's not too shabby, but unless a CPU upgrade sits in the pipeline there's very little to be gained by going for a top end GPU--or at least not for TS (or MSTS, which i believe you also use)
That makes the 1050 the front runner, not really dearer than the 750 but newer and with more efficient architecture. For your use the amount of vRAM becomes a big factor so aim for at least 4GB to do justice to the monitor and still allow for the option to utilise the higher levels of anti-aliasing. Both the 750 and 1050 will take up 2 backplate slots though, so check that your case has the room to fit either, but both shouldn't need any extra power supply than that used by your existing card and both only require a (reccommended) PSU of 300W--we all forget to take the PSU into account!!

So, to summarise.....4GB of vRAM is the main point, 750 or 1050 doesn't matter that much though newer is generally better, and make sure it'll physically suit your case. You'll certainly find either card at under £150 which leaves plenty in the £250 budget for a new hard drive, whether that be a spinning one or solid state.
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Forgot to add---go for the Ti or better still the Ti Boost version if at all possible; they do perform much better than the standard models.
devonman2

Post by devonman2 »

Thanks gptech, reading your posts therefore for tranin sims I most probably have all I need, no other gaming is used. I have 8gbs memory and around 90gbs hard drive free space (350gbs hard drive installed) So I reckon I could profit with that separate harddrive?
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Yes, a separate hard drive will take some of the pressure off---as you're utilising 75% or so of the existing drive you're approaching the point that freeing some space up is beneficial for Window's own background routines; defragmenting a hard drive for example needs 15% of the hard drive space free for the data to be temporarily written to.
You won't see a decrease in loading times measured in 10s of seconds by having games/programs on a separate drive to the OS, but it will be measurable.
devonman2

Post by devonman2 »

thanks
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

DM2
Just check the dimensions of any new card the standard size cards are usually longer, taller and wider than earlier cards - so make sure the card fits in your PC, and does not foul RAM slots, etc..
There are smaller size "cut-down" mini cards made (same specs as their bigger brothers) so shop around, if space is an issue.
Check your power supply is up to it, and it has the correct MOLEX connectors for the new card - otherwise you may need an adapter or 2.
pH
devonman2

Post by devonman2 »

OK message received and taken on board. Thanks
devonman2

Post by devonman2 »

Today I have had course to open TS17 a number of times, (studying tutorials etc.) and TS has been opening in just a few seconds over 2 minutes.

Is someone listening to us? :lol: :lol:

Return to “[TS] Steam Help”