Opening train Simulator 2017

Steam is the delivery mechanism for Train Simulator so if you have any issues making it function or questions about how it works before you start then this is the place to get your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

devonman2
Been on the forums for a while

Opening train Simulator 2017

Post by devonman2 »

I reckon it takes me 5 minutes from clicking Steam or Train sim icon on my fast PC W7pro before I get to the starting of a scenario and ready to go.
Is the norm for others here?
michaelhendle
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Opening train Simulator 2017

Post by michaelhendle »

I've got windows 64 Pro,and I find the more items you add like routes,scenarios and stock the longer it takes to from clicking on the scenario you want to run until it actually loads,some times it takes ages,almost time to go and make a cup of tea
Mike
Ex South African Railways Employee,My favorite loco is a SAR\SAS 25C Condensing Locomotive
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Time it properly, we've had many "it takes......." threads that end with the actual time once measured much, much less than the initial estimate. For a species so hung up on time we're useless at estimating it.
devonman2

Post by devonman2 »

Definitely 4.35 minutes. Mine seems to hang, and right and left clicking monitor can produce some activity like flashing at base of opening display.
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Are you running in on-line mode?
If so take Steam offline and then exit it, restart and see how long it takes.
devonman2

Post by devonman2 »

gptech wrote:Are you running in on-line mode?
If so take Steam offline and then exit it, restart and see how long it takes.
I guess online, how do I open another way?
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Start Steam but rather than play a game click on the first option in the menu bar...I think it's named "Steam".
In the drop down list is the option to go offline, clicking this brings up a confirmation dialogue so confirm the action and Steam restart in off line mode.
Close Steam down, then double click your TS shortcut. As Steam loads you'll get the message that it's set to run offline and the choice of staying off line or going on line. Opt to stay off line.
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trev123 »

The more DLC you have on TS2017 the longer it takes to load. Loading scenarios well vary too depending on how big the scenario is and how many assets it has to load.
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 1060 Strix 6GB Gaming graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram, Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HD, Seagate Firecuda 2 TB HD,
devonman2

Post by devonman2 »

gptech, I did get to offline via file>go off line, there was no change in loading time. I was using Riviera in the fifties with Castle. So it looks I have the impatience problem which as been with me most of my life :D
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Post by ashgray »

Out of interest having read this thread, I thought I'd check how long it takes me to load TS2017, so I timed it this morning.

The first time I run the program, it took 9 minutes 37 seconds from clicking the TS2017 icon on my desktop to actually being able to run the chosen scenario. Not unusual for my system. What IS interesting is that after closing TS2017, doing something else, then firing up the program again an hour later, it took only 2 minutes 10 seconds from clicking the icon to being able to run the same scenario. Running it again afterwards takes a similar time.

Wonder why?

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Quad Core, Gigabyte Gaming Motherboard, 2 x 512Gb SSDs + 1TB SATA drives,
16 Gb DDR-4 Corsair RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6Gb RAM, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 64 bit
brysonman46
Very Active Forum Member

Post by brysonman46 »

ashgray wrote:Out of interest having read this thread, I thought I'd check how long it takes me to load TS2017, so I timed it this morning.

The first time I run the program, it took 9 minutes 37 seconds from clicking the TS2017 icon on my desktop to actually being able to run the chosen scenario. Not unusual for my system. What IS interesting is that after closing TS2017, doing something else, then firing up the program again an hour later, it took only 2 minutes 10 seconds from clicking the icon to being able to run the same scenario. Running it again afterwards takes a similar time.

Wonder why?

Ash
The first time also fires up Steam, before it goes to TS. After that, it is direct to TS, even if you are online/offline to Steam
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

Ash
That's usually due to a caching effect and the second time (but not necessarily any subsequent openings) there is usually a faster response.

My opening times.
Steam open 5 seconds unless updating
TS2017 start to opening menu 45 seconds (mean of 5 openings)
Opening menu to choose route and scenario 10 seconds (mean of 5)
Opening scenario (all chosen with RW Tools to be > 1MB - mix default and WS) to start simming: 50 seconds (mean of 10 scenarios/routes) (-choosing UK routes with the highest disk space taken up by the .ap file).
Online - off line no discernable difference in times.
Extracting .ap file, not DELETING UNEXTRACTED .AP FILE (ie both present when using TS 2017) increases all times by 30 - 50% (No difference if the original in-extracted .ap file is deleted.
pH
Rockdoc2174
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Rockdoc2174 »

I also find that TS is slower to load at the first attempt each day and subsequent loading times to the Menu screen are much less. When it cones to loading scenarios the time taken to launch will depend on the number of assets that need to be accessed for the route as well as the additional assets for the scenario itself.

Loading times are affected by the folder structure developers have used. Some follow the Kuju pattern, with one top-line folder and everything else within it. In that kind of situation, and Kuju is an extreme example, every asset has to be accessed, whether or not it is actually used. In other cases, developers use selectable sub-folders for assets and, then, only a much smaller number of assets are accessed.

When we began work on The Friargate Line Kuju assets were included. Later on we found we were using relatively few Kuju assets and more from Woodhead and Weardale, which don't use Kuju assets. Removing all Kuju assets and deselecting it reduced loading times from the Build Menu screen to the route opening by almost a minute.

Keith
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

The Kuju folder is often highlighted as an example of how *too many* (anybody seen an actual figure?) assets can influence loading times adversely, but let's not forget that this folder only becomes *over populated* because of our actions. Any asset holding folder in the game has the potential to be *over utilised*
Rockdoc2174
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Rockdoc2174 »

It's perfectly true that the Kuju folder became an increasing problem due to the regular addition of umpteen reskins that became available over time for the various locos, carriages and freight stock that it contains, all of which go into the same folder. It's hard to see how this could be avoided, though, unless people modelled stock from scratch and we would have had far fewer options had that been the way we were forced to go. Whatever the drawbacks, reskins of Kuju assets gave us a cheap way to increase what liveries were available - and still do of course. No doubt if a non-Kuju item had many liveries during its life in service and all were installed it would be possible to significantly affect the loading time of any scenario that used it. Do we want extra liveries or the quickest possible loading times? Can't have both! :-)

That isn't a criticism. It's simply something we have to accept but the thread is about loading times and the number of assets being called during loading a scenario affects that.

Keith

Return to “[TS] Steam Help”