GU/AP Class 317 Released.

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

Merlin75
Very Active Forum Member

GU/AP Class 317 Released.

Post by Merlin75 »

The GU/AP Class 317 Vol 1 is out now for £19.99

https://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/cla ... pack_vol_1
[album 241806 sig.jpg]
rosschris10
Very Active Forum Member

Re: GU/AP Class 317 Released.

Post by rosschris10 »

At 19,99 I will give it a miss the prices for the content over on AP are just getting beyond a joke now add to that the total cost of approx: £350 worth of requirements to run the stock scenarios is just silly.
Very Active Forum Member

Post by 749006 »

rosschris10 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:19 pm At 19,99 I will give it a miss the prices for the content over on AP are just getting beyond a joke now add to that the total cost of approx: £350 worth of requirements to run the stock scenarios is just silly.
I don't understand the comment about "the prices . . . are just getting beyond a joke"?
Apart from the Class 156 which was £24.99 it is the same price as the 150/2, 205, 314/5, 319, 321.

Regarding Scenarios - If you saw a DTG Product that you liked but did not own the route the Scenarios were for - would you buy that loco/unit?

Peter
http://peter749.piwigo.com/
My Railway Pictures
Well Established Forum Member

Post by 31160 »

rosschris10 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:19 pm At 19,99 I will give it a miss the prices for the content over on AP are just getting beyond a joke now add to that the total cost of approx: £350 worth of requirements to run the stock scenarios is just silly.
Ross that will be of no surprise to anyone on this site, we knew you would think this before release, and im sure you will feel the same on the next AP release whatever it is
rosschris10
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rosschris10 »

749006 and 31160

Last time i checked this is an open forum. I am entitled to my opinion just like you both are. If you dont like my opinion the tough i wont change it just to please you both. 19,99 for a single unit that now happens to come in "volumes" to stretch it even further is just silly again my opinion!

As for you both complaining about my opinion perhaps you should both take the same approach towards DTG products when it comes to YOU being critical of there work or is that acceptable on these forums as its is always one rule for AP and another for any other developer on here.
dave13

Post by dave13 »

:sleeping:
Jimmerz

Post by Jimmerz »

I don't see how it's bad value for money? Yes it's a lot of money but you get what you pay for and when I buy from AP 99% of the time I'm satisfied with the product.

£350 worth of requirements for the scenarios? Yes that's a lot of money if you want to buy it all at once but I'm willing to bet as I've seen you posting on the forums for a while you'd have maybe 50-75% of that list (that's also being generous). Yes I understand as well if a new comer came along and wanted to buy this pack out the box, £350 is hell of a price to fork out. But it is a collection of addons which a lot of customers would have amassed over a period of time. I think the most I have personally had to pay on top of a pack is about £20 but it gave me much more enjoyment time. Failing that, you could always make your own!

I don't want to pick on individual developers as I appreciate the time and effort that goes into producing such packs, but there are companies that will build a pretty basic 'one-off' model with basic controls and charge £11 or so. AP's packs tend to have every possible combination you could get in real life plus 6 scenarios included (yes I know we've said about the cost of all the requirements but as I've said you could also make your own)!

So hypothetically if AP were to charge £11.99 for a basic 317 is that pricey? Let's break it down to what you'd get in the pack.

6x Scenarios. When AP sold the scenario packs these were £4.99 a pop.
An enhancement pack to give you all the extra features, a decent sound set and every livery it carried to go with your 'basic' 317. The latest one was £16.99.

That comes to £33.97 if you were to buy a basic 317 and bump it up to the standard AP constantly deliver and a standard, that I personally, am happy to enjoy during my (very limited) simulator hours. These packs are quite often as close to the real thing a lot of people can get. I know I'd rather pay £19.99 than £33.97.

It's ultimately up to you whether you buy a product or not but I cant's see how you can blast it based on it's pricing alone. At £19.99 I think it's great value for money as a fair chunk I imagine goes to Gu and the costs in developing it for us are not cheap, especially as the only way to access 317's are actual working examples.

Cheers,

James
If you have time, please visit my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/southwesternrailways/
rosschris10
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rosschris10 »

not faulting APs work of GU's work as techincally they done most of the word from the modelling etc from comments i have read etc.

but turn it back a few years and AP didnt do the trick of Volumes. When you bought a pack you got just that we all know a Volume 2 will appear and that will cost £16,99 as that seems to be the norm.

I am pricing this on what i will geto ut of it i have jsut done the matchs

Total cost of requirements. £331.31

Like i said in the past i own some AP products and yes i have enjoyed them but that was before the prices go t in my opinion to high for what you get compared to what you used to get.

Just my opinion but thank you for making your reply in an open and honest way.
IronBidder

Post by IronBidder »

rosschris10, this is an open site which is why people are allowed to post opinions that are different from yours and which you and they may disagree on. It's not a big deal if we have different opinions.

£19.99 is too high a price for me as I'm not that interested in the unit. If we get Powerhouse Day sales like we did last year with 50% off then I might buy it.

Can anybody comment on the quality of modelling and drivability?
rosschris10
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rosschris10 »

Thank you ironbidder glad someone agrees and not just stil to the usual personal attacks.
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Jimmerz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:48 pm were to charge £11.99 for a basic 317 is that pricey?
In comparison to what we already have/had, yes.
rosschris10
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rosschris10 »

Is anyone able to confirm the requirements for each route as the pack covers 2 routes what requirements does each route have.
Jimmerz

Post by Jimmerz »

gptech wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Jimmerz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:48 pm were to charge £11.99 for a basic 317 is that pricey?
In comparison to what we already have/had, yes.
Ultimately it’s down to the consumer whether they’ll part with their cash or not. With regular sales offered by AP as a previous poster has said it could be beneficial to wait until one of those.

It’s the same with a lot of things. Another good example is the model rail world. For years, Bachmann have had the run of class 37’s which are very good models. Accurascale are bringing their class 37 models out but should they be forced to charge a lower price because the consumer thinks the Bachmann one was better or just as good?
If you have time, please visit my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/southwesternrailways/
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Jimmerz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:28 pm Another good example is the model rail world. For years, Bachmann have had the run of class 37’s....
Bad analogy, as in TS you can't get cheaper than free. The market dictates what price anything will sell at, but of course that can be manipulated by carefully marketing...or lucky marketing if you prefer not to be as cynical as others.
Jimmerz

Post by Jimmerz »

gptech wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 pm
Jimmerz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:28 pm Another good example is the model rail world. For years, Bachmann have had the run of class 37’s....
Bad analogy, as in TS you can't get cheaper than free. The market dictates what price anything will sell at, but of course that can be manipulated by carefully marketing...or lucky marketing if you prefer not to be as cynical as others.
Fair point. I think for years (if you dipped back into the MSTS days) we were spoilt with a wealth of free content. Whilst we have some great community members who produce some high quality freeware content for our sims, TS as a whole seems to have become more commercial. Trainz was another good example of having a massive database of free content available. Again, it’s down to what the consumer wants. I, personally, like the trains and routes to be as close to the real thing as they can be so don’t mind paying a little extra if that’s what I get.

I’m a fan of AP’s work, and like I’ve said their work fits what I’m after and as long as I have the base product (enhancement pack wise) 9/10 I’ll buy it on release day. It’s rare I purchase anything on release day anymore, WCML-S being the only exception to that rule recently.

I’ve only had one quick spin with this pack but GU have certainly done a good job with this one. I look forward to hopefully having a few longer drives at the weekend!

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”