North London Line ...coming soon!

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Re: North London Line ...coming soon!

Post by gptech »

Deano55 wrote:Ha Ha, I wouldn't mind but your not even the first to post that picture.
No I wasn't...that's why I included the URL for the original post :wink:

I'm sure I read somewhere that many drivers complained about the view afforded in the Deltics: the height and rake of the windows meant they couldn't see much of the nose (if any of it) to gauge just where the loco was when coupling to rolling stock, and looking out for signals even.
As a gangly, lanky streak of nothing when I was 15/16 (6ft tall) I can't recall ever seeing much of the nose when cabbing 'em at Leeds/York/Doncaster without having to crane my neck and get on the tips of my toes, so from the seat I'd happily accept that nothing of the proboscis could be seen :roll:
theorganist
Very Active Forum Member

Post by theorganist »

Deano55 wrote:
gptech wrote:I know I'm going against an earlier post I made, but....
jimmyshand wrote:........and still no nose-view in the ageing Deltic cab...
I keep telling you jimmy; far better to base a review/opinion on something that's finished and available...

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1766938
Ha Ha, I wouldn't mind but your not even the first to post that picture.
Do any of these people read the forums before they jump in with both feet? :wink:
When you are having a bash there is no need to read the forums as all the information you want is there, i.e. it is a DTG release so therefore bash away even before it comes out or if you haven't got it. And the more emotive language you can use like junk, un-driveable the better, not forgetting to dress your comments as actual facts rather than just an opinion. Of course you then don't need to acknowledge that you are wrong when it is pointed out or maybe you are being unreasonable as it is a WIP or you don't have the product, therefore you can bash away next time.

It is a re-occurring cycle for some people.

Peter
jp4712
Petulant Princess

Post by jp4712 »

gptech wrote:
Deano55 wrote:Ha Ha, I wouldn't mind but your not even the first to post that picture.
No I wasn't...that's why I included the URL for the original post :wink:

I'm sure I read somewhere that many drivers complained about the view afforded in the Deltics: the height and rake of the windows meant they couldn't see much of the nose (if any of it) to gauge just where the loco was when coupling to rolling stock, and looking out for signals even.
As a gangly, lanky streak of nothing when I was 15/16 (6ft tall) I can't recall ever seeing much of the nose when cabbing 'em at Leeds/York/Doncaster without having to crane my neck and get on the tips of my toes, so from the seat I'd happily accept that nothing of the proboscis could be seen :roll:
Many years ago, I cabbed a Deltic at a Crewe Works open day. I'm 5' 9" on a good day, but sitting in the driver's seat I genuinely couldn't see the nose unless I craned upwards slightly - in which case I could just about get the same view as the screenshot above. I was really quite shocked but the DPS guy who was conducting people up to the cab pointed out that drivers were supposed to be on the look-out for "signals up there, not rails down there"; and when the original Deltic prototype was designed and built in the mid 1950s, it was thought that 'sleeper flutter' would distract drivers.

Paul
Visit the Manchester Museum of Transport, the UK's premier bus museum
T163RN3TW0RK
Getting the hang of things now

Post by T163RN3TW0RK »

I have another question about the Class 378 - am I the only one to have apparent grey 'frames' around some of the button clusters, mainly on the left side of the cab ?
gypbrc
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gypbrc »

T163RN3TW0RK wrote:I have another question about the Class 378 - am I the only one to have apparent grey 'frames' around some of the button clusters, mainly on the left side of the cab ?
What, like these?

Fincra5
Well Established Forum Member

Post by Fincra5 »

T163RN3TW0RK wrote:I have another question about the Class 378 - am I the only one to have apparent grey 'frames' around some of the button clusters, mainly on the left side of the cab ?
If its what I think they are... then no, they're actually there on the real units. As with most of the Electrostar Family.
davep
Very Active Forum Member

Post by davep »

Playing WS scenarios, I can now see - and drive - 5-car formations, but for the
life of me, I still cannot see the board at the front of the train saying so.
Asus Z97-K. Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4 GHz. 3GB NVidia EVGA GTX780Ti. 16GB DDR3 RAM. Sound Blaster Z. Windows 10 64 bit.
2x960GB SSDs, 3x2TB internal HDDs and 2x1TB & 1x2TB external HDDs.
Running TS @ 3840x2160 on a 4k TV.
BristolCastle
Well Established Forum Member

Post by BristolCastle »

davep wrote:Playing WS scenarios, I can now see - and drive - 5-car formations, but for the
life of me, I still cannot see the board at the front of the train saying so.
Have you restarted the scenario? I've found out that the board for the 5 car doesn't appear straight away, and sometimes reappear when you restart the scenario.
Regards
Tom
davep
Very Active Forum Member

Post by davep »

I'll try that Tom. Thanks.
Asus Z97-K. Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4 GHz. 3GB NVidia EVGA GTX780Ti. 16GB DDR3 RAM. Sound Blaster Z. Windows 10 64 bit.
2x960GB SSDs, 3x2TB internal HDDs and 2x1TB & 1x2TB external HDDs.
Running TS @ 3840x2160 on a 4k TV.
brummie
Established Forum Member

Post by brummie »

I think this is a bug with this unit! I was just playing a WS scenario where all the units are 5 cars with the stickers on the trains front and rear, when I decided to restart and afterwards they had all vanished. I restarted again after playing another scenario briefly and still no joy?

I had to come out of game and Steam completely and then fire everything up again and they were back showing correctly once more. :roll:
Thugsy
Established Forum Member

Post by Thugsy »

brummie wrote:I think this is a bug with this unit! I was just playing a WS scenario where all the units are 5 cars with the stickers on the trains front and rear, when I decided to restart and afterwards they had all vanished. I restarted again after playing another scenario briefly and still no joy?

I had to come out of game and Steam completely and then fire everything up again and they were back showing correctly once more. :roll:
I too have found this to be the case but I am sure when the NLL first came out I didn't spot this problem so I am wondering if something has crept in. I have also noticed if placing a 5 car consist in editor mode the board at he front will seem to toggle on and off depending on where I hover my cursor! Having said all of that I have found a similar thing with the vanishing headboards from the original Castle Loco which can appear to be there one moment and not the next on the Riviera Line and I know that worked OK before TS2016. I mention that here as I imagine the underlying feature is the same.
tubemad
Very Active Forum Member

Post by tubemad »

Not just me having that issue then! I was going to post on here and saw other's have the board problem. Like others, the 5 car train boards only show if I hover the mouse over the DMSO, or if I select it, that's about it. Doesn't show in the scenario itself though I haven't tried a save/restart.

Minor issue though, loving the route itself, just knocking up a 2 x Cl.86 FL run on the 4L89 liner to Felixstowe (Camden Jn - Stratford) :D
Thugsy
Established Forum Member

Post by Thugsy »

I raised an issue on this with DTG and to be fair they have investigated it but not been able to reproduce. To add some weight to it I would urge anyone who has the issue to log it so they know it is not just an isolated case. The save/resume does always seem to work for me though so although a pain there is at least a workaround
tnleeuw01
Very Active Forum Member

Post by tnleeuw01 »

I wonder what are the graphics settings of those who have this issue, and what kind of graphics cards, and driver versions??
Thugsy
Established Forum Member

Post by Thugsy »

I have all my settings to Max as I always have had and am running a GeForce GTX580. I think these things might explain the non appearance at all but not the random on/off effect. Happened again last night - went in and created a short scenario with only 4 trains in - all 5 car 378s. This time the headboard displayed first time in the editor and yes indeed there it was on the front of the train when I went to drive it. Needed to make a slight tweak to the start time and then lo and behold it was gone again ! I wonder if the issue only happens with people who write their own scenarios as DTG tested their own ones and couldn't reproduce it.

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”