New 3D Cloud System?

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

RailX
Well Established Forum Member

New 3D Cloud System?

Post by RailX »

hi,

after the update from ts 2014 to ts 2015 i expected a little bit more from the new 3d cloud system.
how can we change the cloud formations? how can we edit the new sky system?
are there any tools planed in the future?

why there are no tutorials out there? :roll:

the standard 3d cloud system settings are not really satisfying me. i'm sure the new system can do a lot more.

greetz

Rail-X
alanch
Very Active Forum Member

Re: New 3D Cloud System?

Post by alanch »

You might have missed this useful thread http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=139225 .
Alan

My railway photos are now on Google + - links to the albums are in this thread http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 9&t=149558

Lots of steam and early diesels from 1959 to 1963.
RailX

Post by RailX »

hi alan,

thanks for the interesting link.
but i actually got all those blueprints (timeofday, weather, template route blueprint).

they dont have any effect on the new 3d cloud/weather system.
thats why i asked about any tutorials, or tools to modify the 3d system.
if you download the silverlining 3d sky demo, then you have great tools to change the cloud formations, sun position etc. in realtime!

i think, if you implement something like this in your software (train simulator 2015), then you also should release user friendly tools to edit the 3d cloud system. :roll:

anyway, i better play with the old sky settings. :wink:

greetz

Rail-X
grey13
New to the Forums

Post by grey13 »

It doesn't seem to be too well integrated at the moment, hopefully they haven't finished working on it.

As for changing things, there is a Silverlining weather blueprint which allows you to create a weather pattern with cloud layers etc. It's pretty straight forward if you are used to using blueprints.

You can fiddle with all sorts of stuff in railworks/data/silverlining/silverlining.config or the .override version of that file, but presumably anything you do there is global.
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Irishrailguy »

grey13 wrote:It doesn't seem to be too well integrated at the moment, hopefully they haven't finished working on it.
Don't count on it tbh, I've always gone on the idea that TS2015 is the filler release before the UE4 version (hopefully). If we have only a year left with this new weather system they probably won't bother working on it much further or providing much support for it, unless they port it into the UE4 version (which, to be honest I hope they don't do). I'd still thoroughly prefer a skydome over those puffs of water vapor, they look low-def and out of date, even though this is the best in 3D weather available today :roll:

Kev
grey13
New to the Forums

Post by grey13 »

In case it got lost earlier.. ;)

New 3D weather patterns can be created with the silverlining weather blueprint.

I haven't found a way to effect the lighting used with the 3D weather, other than the silverlining.config/.override file.

Settings in there related to lighting work, and most likely the cloud type configuration stuff as well. So you can change the (global) 'brightness', gamma ('sky-box-gamma-hosek') etc.

I also tried the lens flare without any obvious results. Perhaps that feature requires support from the main game engine, shaders, or something along those lines. I haven't seen any sign of stars or planets either.
Daunt58
Getting the hang of things now

Post by Daunt58 »

Having enabled "Academy" in my route there are eight different 3d weather options to choose from. These show up in the list as "3D clear" etc. but without the number.

The extra one is "3D transition test". I just tried this in one of my scenarios and it starts off as clear with no clouds and no shadows on the landscape.
After about 5 mins a lot of cloud has appeared and it starts to drizzle then rain.

A few minutes after that it was snowing at which point I stopped the test so I don't know if the weather would brighten up again if left longer.

It all happens a bit fast and you get all the weather types in turn but it does show that the weather can be made to change during a scenario.
I guess this "test" has its own SL_xxx blueprint somewhere in the Academy ap. files and this may give a clue as to how to set up changeable weather such as showers.

Regards

Mike
stevegreen
Been on the forums for a while

Post by stevegreen »

Is it just me or is the 3D weather (as used in quickdrive) increasing the windspeed to gale force proportions? Loco exhaust clag is blowing horizontally in whichever way the the wind is heading. It's just a bit dis-concerning to see the exhaust particles trailing infront of you while travelling forwards looking out of the windscreen.

I'm assuming the wind speed settings (wherever they are) were bumped up to ensure the 3D clouds move.
tnleeuw01
Very Active Forum Member

Post by tnleeuw01 »

stevegreen wrote:Is it just me or is the 3D weather (as used in quickdrive) increasing the windspeed to gale force proportions? Loco exhaust clag is blowing horizontally in whichever way the the wind is heading. It's just a bit dis-concerning to see the exhaust particles trailing infront of you while travelling forwards looking out of the windscreen.

I'm assuming the wind speed settings (wherever they are) were bumped up to ensure the 3D clouds move.
Hi Steve,

I think DTG will appreciate your feedback if you post it on this Steam discussion thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/24010/dis ... 671854091/

As additional information for issue #6 in the main thread topic.

Cheers,

--Tim
secludedsfx

Post by secludedsfx »

Just had a play with the 3d transitional weather in the academy and made my own version of it.

Was able to make it start at overcast, have a short shower, back to overcast and then short to heavy rain.

Only annoyance is with each transition the sky changes colour and it's incredibly noticeable (might be able to sort it out better but for the time being it's still quite a learning curve to make it look good).
PC Spec: i9 10900k, 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 980ti, 1TB NVME SSD
Daunt58
Getting the hang of things now

Post by Daunt58 »

Yes
I found with the Academy transition weather the sky would suddenly get lighter or darker when the weather changed.
I thought the transition times in the Academy file were very short.

Mike

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”