West Somerset Railways

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

ll22012
Been on the forums for a while

West Somerset Railways

Post by ll22012 »

Good Morning
These beautiful route is ready now , with a bundle of rolling stock for 29,99 euros
http://store.steampowered.com/app/222615/
see you soon
jean-pierre
jimmyshand
Very Active Forum Member

Re: West Somerset Railways

Post by jimmyshand »

Excellent, that's my evening sorted!

This route looks stunning and is a line I know fairly well having been a visitor for the diesel gala the last few years.

I'll be buying the accompanying diesel pack too just to show RSC my approval for venturing into heritage railway DLC. Shame it doesn't include the ubiquitous diesel-hydraulics that WSR is famous for but I appove nonetheless!
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trev123 »

Not very long though. Only 20 miles. Price $29-99 US.
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 1060 Strix 6GB Gaming graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram, Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HD, Seagate Firecuda 2 TB HD,
jimmyshand
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jimmyshand »

Sounds are abysmal, hopefully AP will sort out a patch. The 47 and 33 are making default sounds despite having AP sound installed and the coaches and wagons are silent other than the snare drum track joint.
almark
Very Active Forum Member

Post by almark »

I have to be honest here,and I am NOT,I repeat,NOT RSC bashing,I couldn't care less who'd built it to be honest,but the route is pretty poor in terms of accuracy.

Where to start:
Dunster:
There are signals (Why? there aren't any in real life?) and electric point motors (what?!).

Blue Anchor:

On the approach to Blue Anchor I went through a forest. In real life,it looks like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42377201@N ... ML4-dsJNPx
The station is in a field,in reality it looks like this: Note the cutting http://www.flickr.com/photos/60715005@N ... syp-6LsusM
For some reason when I route a train from Minehead towards Bishops Lydeard I am forced down the "Down" platform,even if I tell the train to stop in the "Up" platform,I am not able to reverse into the "Up" line after passing through either.

Bishops Lydeard:

I can't seem to route to any of the sidings at BL from the scenario editor.

General:

Fences,the Wire Rural fence is used throughout the route,most of the time a constant distance from the line.
Scenery,seems rather rushed and sparse,I said this before about an RSC route and was wrong in some ways,but I am sorry,this time It's plain to see,when travelling 25mph I expect to see nice terrain painting and more detail from the train.

I know many will shoot me down,feel free to do so,I just find it a shame that such little effort has been put into the accuracy side of things,especially as the custom assets are very nice and the route in general is well constructed,but to someone who frequents the line (and walks it with a photo permit),it's just poorly portrayed in terms of accuracy. I seriously think if I had all the assets in front of me I could build the route we have on display here in less than 2 weeks.

I know a number of testers will likely have outlined these problems,maybe they are being dealt with,who knows,but one thing for certain is that if I were looking at this route in production (as it's on sale now),I would have to ask for a number of changes and certainly wouldn't let it anywhere near final build status.

I normally don't have an opinion on these things but having spent 20 quid (and please don't start the "Nobody forced you to buy it" stuff,I still want the route regardless),I would really expect better,I just would.

By no means would I say "Don't buy it",because in general it's a nice route,but at the same time,don't expect a fully accurate recreation if you know the line well,because this isn't it.
crumplezone
Very Active Forum Member

Post by crumplezone »

jimmyshand wrote:Sounds are abysmal, hopefully AP will sort out a patch. The 47 and 33 are making default sounds despite having AP sound installed and the coaches and wagons are silent other than the snare drum track joint.
Rolling stock is in a seperate folder, its quite obvious why the sounds wouldn't be applied to AP's packs which were released prior to WSR, the bin files won't reference to the normal 47s or 33 packs.
jimmyshand
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jimmyshand »

crumplezone wrote:
jimmyshand wrote:Sounds are abysmal, hopefully AP will sort out a patch. The 47 and 33 are making default sounds despite having AP sound installed and the coaches and wagons are silent other than the snare drum track joint.
Rolling stock is in a seperate folder, its quite obvious why the sounds wouldn't be applied to AP's packs which were released prior to WSR, the bin files won't reference to the normal 47s or 33 packs.
A solution is not obvious however. The separate folders contain nothing but a blueprint and an .ap file. No idea how to go about applying AP sounds to the locos and coaches/wagons that come with this pack.
niclouse3
Very Active Forum Member

Post by niclouse3 »

Just purchased, what a nice surprise to come back to after work! Going to spend the evening driving the WSR! :D
Please view my Flickr for my latest Train Simulator 2018 screenshots. - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickfarrant
Been on the forums for a while

Post by 67016 »

almark wrote: For some reason when I route a train from Minehead towards Bishops Lydeard I am forced down the "Down" platform,even if I tell the train to stop in the "Up" platform,I am not able to reverse into the "Up" line after passing through either.
Try deleting the signals at Dunster and at Washford (Yes there are signals there when there shouldn't be!) that worked for me

I am slightly disappointed with it, but extremely pleased we now have this route!

The biggest problem for me apart from the signals at Dunster and Washford, are the working distance. The WSR doesn't have them all the distant signals are fixed at caution. The signalling needs a complete overhaul as most of the signals are the wrong type or in the wrong position or in the case of Dunster and Washford don't exist at all!

On a more positive note the stations themselves look fantastic especially Minehead :D
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

I noticed on the Steam page for the double pack including the 47 and 03 that they say North Star used to be 47860, probably a typo as it was 47840 - I used to chase that on the mainline regularly until, for its last mainline run, they relegated it to the dreary doldrums of being yet another green 47.
Matthew Wilson, development team at Vulcan Productions

http://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/VulcanFoundry/
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Acorncomputer »

In short heritage style routes, which I am primarily interested in, I do like to see a lot of detail and some interesting additional features to make up for the short length of track available to run on, but it is nice to see that RSC are positively going in this direction.

One feature that does please me in particular about this route is that you do not need to have TS2014 in order to play it. It comes with the core program so although you still need a Steam account (as far as I can see) the route is ready to run out of the box. For those of us with TS2014 already this does not make much difference but for reserved Heritage Railway enthusiasts, this may just persuade them to have a go without the fuss of having to buy TS2014 first.

:D

-
Geoff Potter
Now working on my Bluebell Railway route for TS2021
RISC OS - Now Open Source
Very Active Forum Member

Post by 92212 »

I have to agree with a lot Mark has said there. I know the route well, but by no means an expert on it! However, I can spot the glaring inaccuracies and the items evident in lots of photographs they haven't made. Here's my rundown of Pro's and cons:

Pro's
  • Excellent quality to the scenery items
  • Weather and sky are very good
  • Stations are modeled very well
  • The Hall is actually 'Modified'!! That was unexpected! So well done on that. It also uses my old Hall sounds
  • The track has been laid accurately and speed limits mostly correct
  • 7F is done well and utilizes my Robinson 04 sounds(apart from the whistle!) and they're a good fit
Cons
  • I begin with my fav subject - SOUNDS! The 7F is good but after ALL THIS TIME that awful whistle is still present!!!
  • The carriages have some new rail joint sounds but they're so quiet you can barely hear them!
  • The wagons are totally silent
  • On the climb from Williton to Stogumber there''s supposed to be two narrow brick-arch bridges. For some reason they thought that flat-top stone ones would suit. Sorry, it really doesn't!
  • The stations look odd without point rodding - so evident in real life
  • What on earth were they thinking with that bridge that crosses the line on the bend approaching Watchet!!
So, lots of good but also lots of 'could/should' have done better. I feel TAA would have given it more 'love'!

Regards
Matt
bdy26
Very Active Forum Member

Post by bdy26 »

It seems odd to me - there's some good stuff there, lots of good custom buildings, mods to the Hall that RSC could shout about but don't. Decent sounds on the 7F but the awful whistle. A little bit more thought could make a good product into a great one.

For diesel fans, you can buy the 47 and 03 again for £12. Oh RSC you spoil us :o

B
http://bdy26.co.uk/sbhh/

Builder of The Cockermouth Keswick and Penrith Railway and Lancaster to Carlisle for RW; purveyor of dirty diesels to Vulcan Productions.
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

bdy26 wrote:It seems odd to me - there's some good stuff there, lots of good custom buildings, mods to the Hall that RSC could shout about but don't. Decent sounds on the 7F but the awful whistle. A little bit more thought could make a good product into a great one.

For diesel fans, you can buy the 47 and 03 again for £12. Oh RSC you spoil us :o

B
Class 33s don't run on steam you know :-)

For £24.99, the usual route +1 train price, you get the route and the Hall, 7F, 47, 33, 03, some wagons and some stock (particularly people new at TS2014 stage). I think theyve done a good balancing out there.
Matthew Wilson, development team at Vulcan Productions

http://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/VulcanFoundry/
bdy26
Very Active Forum Member

Post by bdy26 »

£20 for the route, 7F, Mod Hall and 33 isn't bad, I concur.

The diesel add on is just the 47 and the 03 for another £12 is silly - just put them in together as per the bundled offer.

B
http://bdy26.co.uk/sbhh/

Builder of The Cockermouth Keswick and Penrith Railway and Lancaster to Carlisle for RW; purveyor of dirty diesels to Vulcan Productions.

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”