WCML Over Shap From Keith Ross

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

jp4712
Petulant Princess

Re: WCML Over Shap From Keith Ross

Post by jp4712 »

THAT's impressive. On recent routes we've seen superelevation, zig-zag overhead contact wire, now this - you've got to admit it's all clever stuff. I wonder if it's something that you can apply retrospectively to WCML-N, GEML and ECML-S?

Paul
Visit the Manchester Museum of Transport, the UK's premier bus museum
msdejesus
Very Active Forum Member

Post by msdejesus »

msey0002 wrote:
GavNormandale wrote:Anybody else find themselves right clicking and trying to pan the camera when watching video's on You Tube? :D

Gav
Could be worse...I sometimes do that with YouTube cab rides :D
Glad I'm not the only one :P
Fodda
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Fodda »

That does look blinkin' good though. Can't wait, although I'll have to of course. Hopefully in the Easter sale.
1S811985
Well Established Forum Member

Post by 1S811985 »

callum1122334455 wrote:It would seem neutral sections have finally been implemented :D
Eh WCML-North had the signs and magnets in place for them all along. You mean to say people ignored them when playing? Amateurs or what!

Seriously though, it's a welcome development to have the loco trip a circuit breaker if it's driven incorrectly. Be interesting to see how this is done and whether it needs a loco to be specially set up for this feature or if it's something that could be easily retrofitted to other electrics.

As an aside, recalling the many cries of "this loco is undriveable" when the 86 came out I wonder how those same casual users will react to this feature!

1S81
Last edited by 1S811985 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know what gold does to men's souls.
Fodda
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Fodda »

To be fair, the 86 run-down control wasn't implemented at all in the original release (and still hasn't been fixed by RSC along with WCML buffers). So even following the manual and looking at cab-ride videos didn't help with that. It's only since it was fixed a few years ago by some kind soul here (not RSC) that it's been able to be driven as intended.
callum1122334455

Post by callum1122334455 »

1S811985 wrote:
callum1122334455 wrote:It would seem neutral sections have finally been implemented :D
Eh WCML-North had the signs and magnets in place for them all along. You mean to say people ignored them when playing? Amateurs or what!

1S81
Well aware of that but it was a bit grim when the power didn't cut as you went over the section. :-?
callum1122334455

Post by callum1122334455 »

Kromaatikse wrote:
You're welcome. *bows*

8)
Am I missing something here? Did you figure how to implement the neutral sections? :oops:
1S811985

Post by 1S811985 »

Fodda wrote:To be fair, the 86 run-down control wasn't implemented at all in the original release...
Fair point, though it wasn't simply the lack of a working run-down setting that seemed to be throwing people.

Personally, I always found rapid use of the notch-down with an eye on the dials to be a better way to drive anyway.

1S81
1S811985

Post by 1S811985 »

callum1122334455 wrote:
1S811985 wrote:

1S81
Well aware of that but it was a bit grim when the power didn't cut as you went over the section. :-?
Yeah, I felt totally ripped off.... :D

1S81
1S811985

Post by 1S811985 »

Kromaatikse wrote:
You're welcome. *bows*

8)
Have a well earned round of applause.

How nice to have an enhanced feature like this sprung on us of the blue.

And how very nice to see a DLC putting serious effort into raising the bar.

1S81
Kromaatikse
For Quality & Playability

Post by Kromaatikse »

A little more detail:

The "active" track magnet objects can easily be placed on any AC electrified route as required - they would replace the existing visual-only magnets on WCML-N, or you could simply bury them and leave the originals in place.

They are exceptionally simple track-linked "signal" objects, but transparent to normal signalling messages, similarly to a Permanent AWS Magnet. They simply send a message to each train as the leading end passes. Existing locos will not respond to the message, but they won't break either.

Retrofitting locos to use the new information isn't very difficult, as long as they are normally at the head of the train. I haven't yet tried implementing the more convoluted logic required to get the correctly delayed response from a mid- or rear-mounted pantograph, as is commonly found on EMUs or push-pull sets. Part of the difficulty is working out just how far back from the leading end the pantograph *is*, due to one of the many limitations in the scripting system.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on others to teach you it.
1S811985

Post by 1S811985 »

Kromaatikse wrote:A little more detail...
Ingenious. Thank you for this. Best of luck with figuring out how to apply this to unit's and DVT's.

Can we take it then that WCML-S will be coming with a suitably equipped 87 and if so, does this mean that there will have to be separate player and AI versions, or does the trip-out only apply to locos being run as player services?

Cheers,

1S81
Very Active Forum Member

Post by 220389 »

1S811985 wrote:
Kromaatikse wrote:A little more detail...
Ingenious. Thank you for this. Best of luck with figuring out how to apply this to unit's and DVT's.

Can we take it then that WCML-S will be coming with a suitably equipped 87 and if so, does this mean that there will have to be separate player and AI versions, or does the trip-out only apply to locos being run as player services?

Cheers,

1S81
Imagine it will with the 87 as that seems to be included, For AI im sure someone will know.

Neterual zones sound great and hope things like the AP/Waggonz 90 will be upgraded to suite it.

Chris
Rising Storm -Name is in the credits :D - To Do scenario, where you go along at 50mph in a Pendo? Who would play it?
Anyone want to help in Play Testing future Rising Storm/ Ro2 Maps? If so please PM me.
Kromaatikse
For Quality & Playability

Post by Kromaatikse »

It has no effect on AI traffic, which as always is vastly simplified in behaviour compared to the player train.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on others to teach you it.
x5pgr
Been on the forums for a while

Post by x5pgr »

Another interesting video here on how to handle an 87 - starting at Oxenholme.

Just how much longer is this kind chap Mr Ross going to keep us waiting - the anticipation on this is now starting to become unbearable!

Peter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI8ozCfCbh0
Intel i7 3820 3.6Ghz, Asus PX79Pro, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3, Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX970, Windows 7 64 bit, TS2016 on Samsung EVO SSD

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”