Also in production by RSC...

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

jimmyshand
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Also in production by RSC...

Post by jimmyshand »

1S811985 wrote:
Varney wrote: I certainly can't get enthused to the same degree or describe a 156 for example as 'hellfire'...but that is where the money is to be made.
I certainly agree about being unable to get that worked up about units. I'm not saying that they're rubbish or anything, the 150/2 is a delight for example, but I want to be transported back to my youth and sprinters are at least a decade too late for that!

Well, there's money to be made out of me by anyone who comes up with a decent blue era route. RSC appear, sadly, to be trapped in a false dichotomy when it comes to routes: It's either steam or modern and there's nothing in between.

I think there's a huge and as yet unexploited market in-between, and if its down to the third party sector to cash in then so much the better in my view.

1S81
I too find it completely baffling how so many people get so worked up and enthused over units. 311, 312, 313, 322, 420, 431 whatever, they're all just runaway carriages to me, missing a locomotive! Coaches with cabs.

It's actually quite sad to think there is a whole generation now who have grown up never having ridden on, seen or heard locomotives on the mainline. Makes it all the more grim to think our beloved class 20, 24, 25,27, 31, 37, 40, Peaks, 47, 50, Deltic, 56, 58, 86, 87 etc pretty much extinct.
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

Well, I don't think Deltics did too badly - 6 out of 22 and a prototype too. Classes the size of 40s, 37s and 47s could never fair well once withdrawn but WCRC provide plenty of opportunities for people to sample the latter.
Matthew Wilson, development team at Vulcan Productions

http://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/VulcanFoundry/
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

We don't have to understand why so many people like modern stock, all we have to do is accept that they do.
jimmyshand
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jimmyshand »

My passion for real railways died once 'unitification' took over. Todays scene for me registers almost zero interest. Back in my youth in the 1970's / 80's then spotting was exclusively all about the locomotives and they were everywhere, thousands of them, all unique looking, sounding and loud as hell! Units that were around at that time were given about as much attention as coaches or wagons, i.e. none! Trips to a mainline terminus like Glasgow Central or Liverpool Lime Street always consisted of complete indifference to the units, making a bee-line for the intercity platforms then running down past the coaches to the platform end to see which locomotive was on the front. Would it be an 85, 86 or an 87? maybe a 47? Would it be blue, intercity or large logo? What nameplate did it carry? Would the driver let you in the cab?
Passing a yard back then was a spotters dream, every type of locomotive you could think of on display. In yards today, you'd be lucky to see anything other than a couple of identikit sheds (66's).

Nowadays on passenger services there is no more need to run down the platform past the coaches to see what loco is on the front, because the coaches are the loco! The magic has gone.
Oldpufferspotter
Well Established Forum Member

Post by Oldpufferspotter »

My passion for real railways began to fade away in the 1970s and 80s! I miss the 1950s and 60s!
The modern young enthusiasts have no real idea of what it was like when we were young, they only know the present day Heritage lines and the present day DMUs and EMUs. They are probably just as passionate about them as we are about our own 'best times'. C'est la vie!
Ted.
P.S. I can't stand the Heritage lines either, they are nothing like the old run down nationalised railways. It's a different world now, bright clean multi-coloured trains etc. Passengers (sorry 'customers') concentrating on their smart phones and laptops instead of looking out of the windows...
And don't forget there aren't any 'trains' anymore, they are 'travel solutions' just like busses, lorries, aeroplanes, ships - all 'travel solutions' and/or 'logistical solutions'.
Sorry, I'm taking this thread off topic...
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

Blimey, one modern mainline in production and suddenly everyone is getting all rose tinted about the days of Euston to Glasgow taking 9 hours and the railways burning money quicker than they did coal :D

VeraTheMage
Been on the forums for a while

Post by VeraTheMage »

Oldpufferspotter wrote:My passion for real railways began to fade away in the 1970s and 80s! I miss the 1950s and 60s!
The modern young enthusiasts have no real idea of what it was like when we were young, they only know the present day Heritage lines and the present day DMUs and EMUs. They are probably just as passionate about them as we are about our own 'best times'. C'est la vie!
Ted.
The kettle-spotters miss the 50s and 60s, the dieseliers miss the days when Hoovers and Hymeks ruled the roost, and a lot of modern gricers are content with Electrostars, Plastic Pigs, and Bendydil...uh, Pendys; have to keep it family-friendly! :wink:

I'll be interested to see if anyone does something similar to what stuart666 did for his excellent Settle & Carlisle 1975; i.e. cloning the route and modifying it using Steam available assets to replicate a different era.
Plastic pig aficionado.
-Vera
alanch
Very Active Forum Member

Post by alanch »

deltic009 wrote:Blimey, one modern mainline in production and suddenly everyone is getting all rose tinted about the days of Euston to Glasgow taking 9 hours and the railways burning money quicker than they did coal :D
Aren't they burning money even faster now? Isn't the amount of Government subsidy to the privatised companies much larger now than it was during BR days.
Alan

My railway photos are now on Google + - links to the albums are in this thread http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 9&t=149558

Lots of steam and early diesels from 1959 to 1963.
lenfish

Post by lenfish »

Subsidies are £6bn per year, 3 times in real terms than they were 20 years ago. The one franchise that requires less subsidy than the rest (ECML) is currently government run and earning revenue for the taxpayer. The intention is to re-privatise it, that makes sense then, can't be having it letting the side down!

Regards,

Len
daveannjon
Established Forum Member

Post by daveannjon »

deltic009 wrote:Blimey, one modern mainline in production and suddenly everyone is getting all rose tinted about the days of Euston to Glasgow taking 9 hours and the railways burning money quicker than they did coal :D
Currently reckoned to be three to four times the subsidy BR was getting. Are our railways four times better, no way, although I would say safety has improved. So where is all the money going? Well shareholders for a start, odd that we pay our taxes and it goes to private company shareholders isn't it? Then there are 120 companies involved all chasing profits and with Chief Execs on nices bonuses etc. etc.

DaveW
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

Well I was referring to the money BR was bleeding out during the 60s and 70s, building ill thought out monster freight yards and many other things. There are so many different factors involved now in the price of subsidy of the railways, but I think that we pay just as much on housing benefit into the pockets of private landlords, bir now we're heading far too political.

1S811985

Post by 1S811985 »

daveannjon wrote: Currently reckoned to be three to four times the subsidy BR was getting. Are our railways four times better, no way, although I would say safety has improved. So where is all the money going? Well shareholders for a start, odd that we pay our taxes and it goes to private company shareholders isn't it? Then there are 120 companies involved all chasing profits and with Chief Execs on nices bonuses etc. etc.

DaveW
+1

Not to mention the highest fares in Europe...

1S81
I know what gold does to men's souls.
andynwt

Post by andynwt »

what a bunch of moany old trainspotters!
VeraTheMage
Been on the forums for a while

Post by VeraTheMage »

andynwt wrote:what a bunch of moany old trainspotters!
Quick, tell them a Virgin Pendolino is a much more comfortable than any conventional loco-hauled Mark 3s. >:D

Can we get this back on topic? It's always quite amusing seeing people enthusing through rose-tinted glasses, especially when the present is treated with disdain and those who live in it are pitied for not being around back in the "good old days". Personally, as a third rail kind of gal, EMUs would end up enthusing me more than all the locomotives in the world; but enough of my hypocritical soap-boxing; back on topic! Does anybody think the Hertford Loop should/will be included, whether as additional DLC - perhaps including the Class 313 - or in the vanilla DLC?
Plastic pig aficionado.
-Vera

KiwiPete
Night Watchman

Post by KiwiPete »

Topic closed.
I think its all been said and things are WAY off topic and it is starting to sound like its getting a tad personal.

The moderators will take a hard line on personal attacks by one user on another.
[moderatoravatar]
Member of the UKTS Forum Moderation Team

Foundation Member
Train Simulation New Zealand (TSNZ) http://tsnz.co.nz
RailNZ fansite http://www.railnz.co.nz

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”