So re-skins on Marketplace after all....

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

pacerfan
Established Forum Member

So re-skins on Marketplace after all....

Post by pacerfan »

http://www.engine-driver.com/article/sh ... t-you-want

Link is above. Marketplace is turning out to be a very interesting place. I will be honest I am very tempted by to join in with this and get a little back for the hours I put in re-texturing. And I am sure I will not be the only one temped by this. This makes workshop for scenarios even better in theory by solving that one skin issue, with the explicit statement that they will cost less than full dlc packs. It even includes 3-d scenery packs for use in scenarios and the like!
Am now known as Zm-Yeti/Yetiworks. more to match other online accounts.
windberg
Established Forum Member

Re: So re-skins on Marketplace after all....

Post by windberg »

It is time that Jesus reappears on earth and push the traders out the temple. Good luck to all which build a bolt and want a dime. Good night and sleep well community and freeware scene.
DavidVI
Well Established Forum Member

Post by DavidVI »

I don't understand why we can't put items up for free? Is it because RSC want to make a few pence?
Merlin75
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Merlin75 »

Only problem with selling reskins on marketplace is if a TOC turns around and says to RSC you can't sell those repaints with our logo on them.
[album 241806 sig.jpg]
pacerfan
Established Forum Member

Post by pacerfan »

DavidVI wrote:I don't understand why we can't put items up for free? Is it because RSC want to make a few pence?
They do have to pay for the server space I'd assume, although quite a few of the games on steam just have stuff like that uploaded to workshop

Merlin75 wrote:Only problem with selling reskins on marketplace is if a TOC turns around and says to RSC you can't sell those repaints with our logo on them.
Now this is the interesting one. Out of the modern TOC livery only those licensed by RSC might be allowed, at this moment it is unclear. On the other hand colours are not copyrighted so you can make the livery but without the logo demonstrated with the class 360 and the rail tours 57. I am inquiring about the status of BR livery so BR Blue and the sectors in the 80's since the copyright is in the hands of the department of transport.
Am now known as Zm-Yeti/Yetiworks. more to match other online accounts.
Merlin75
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Merlin75 »

I must admit the only reskins I would buy from market place would be ones with the all over adverts abit like that voyager that Deltic009 has just done or the Northern rail 150's & 156's. Because they would have to make the child objects like adverts and logos. Where there are no decent photos on the web they would have to go out and find the trains or pay someone to find the trains to get photos so for that I would be happy to buy. But on another point I went to this site and tried to log on to suggest something that I would like to see on marketplace and could not due to a server error :lol: In case anyone was wondering what I was going to suggest I was going to ask for a network rail pack to have such things as a modern flatbed van, Crewbus, Flatbed truck and some clutter items that they might use while doing repairs. Prehaps that's something someone could make and send to RSC to stick on marketplace.
[album 241806 sig.jpg]
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

"suggest items for marketplace" doesn't mean "put your own reskins up for sale"
http://www.engine-driver.com/article/show/1103/welcome-to-steam-marketplace-make-your-own-add-ons-or-tell-us-what-you-want wrote: But Marketplace takes the idea a step further: now Train Simulator users can create and share their own models for Train Simulator, AND receive a percentage royalty from their sales.
That’s right: if you are a 3D modeller, you can now create your very own add-ons and scenic assets for Train Simulator – from a single lamppost to a fully-working locomotive – and submit it
You can sell your own creations, but reskins (as yet) can only be suggested for the RSC team to produce, the page only needs reading properly so it makes comments such as those levelled at deltic look a little infantile.
Very Active Forum Member

Post by 220389 »

I think it is a really good idea for Re-skins direct from RSC as should allow them to be issued at much lower prices which is always good.

The same goes for wagon packs, scenery etc all good things to come and as always completely optional.

I myself can't see why it would be the end of the community and freeware scene though or to control it.

Chris
Rising Storm -Name is in the credits :D - To Do scenario, where you go along at 50mph in a Pendo? Who would play it?
Anyone want to help in Play Testing future Rising Storm/ Ro2 Maps? If so please PM me.

KiwiPete
Night Watchman

Post by KiwiPete »

Please stay on topic.
Personal attacks on other users will not be tolerated.
They clearly breach forum rules.
Thank you...
[moderatoravatar]
Member of the UKTS Forum Moderation Team

Foundation Member
Train Simulation New Zealand (TSNZ) http://tsnz.co.nz
RailNZ fansite http://www.railnz.co.nz
Stone75
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Stone75 »

220389 wrote:I think it is a really good idea for Re-skins direct from RSC as should allow them to be issued at much lower prices which is always good.
We used to get plenty of skins with a loco purchase. They then stop this and only give 1 skin with extra skins costing a full new model price. Everyone has complained about this for a good few months being a bit of a rip off. Now they give you cheaper skins on the market place and people seem happy about it. RSC are shrewed business people that's for sure. But for the end user, scenarios will now need a route, certain models and now certain skinpacks. My wallet can't keep up :(

steve
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

For many years it has been clear that there is a market for virtual model railways, where people without much IT interest build up collections of engines and other stuff at a fraction of the price of physical models. In MSTS, you could do that for nearly no money but it was said in 2006 or so that this price level will not remain the same for the future, no matter what the underlying platform would be. The effort of production was perceived as too high back then already. Trains features micropayware at the same time which was met with mixed feelings, too. I remember one person stating that he would rather give something for free than to be pestered by disappointed customers spending a few bucks and demanding endless features and unachievable levels of detail.

For many years now financing games via in-game sales of virtual merchandise has been the leading trend in the game industry. RSC openly stated that they would go down this road, back when they were founded (or was that RSDL?).

For a creator, the RSC scheme decreases the cost. Someone who only drives trains gets less for free, compared to MSTS days. I feel that all the discussion about payware hides the problem that freeware creators only create (and share!) freeware to the extend to which they feel honoured for their effort. Lack of freeware cannot be attributed to availability of payware, it must also be seen as a crack in the loop of feedback and appreciation between creators and users.

Whether participation in the marketplace will pay off for creators will depend on their commission and the sales figures, and their own attitude to their labour value and how they want to be compensated for it.
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

I am not very computer literate, it took me a huge amount of time to make the nameplate and decals for the 221 for example. There may be plenty of creators who are not able to comprehend building, maintaining and administrating a website and that is a BIG barrier to them being able to make their own money. Marketplace, for a fee just like eBay, provide the network and support for you and enable you to make money if you want.
Matthew Wilson, development team at Vulcan Productions

http://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/VulcanFoundry/
gnash
Established Forum Member

Post by gnash »

AndiS wrote:For many years it has been clear that there is a market for virtual model railways, where people without much IT interest build up collections of engines and other stuff at a fraction of the price of physical models. In MSTS, you could do that for nearly no money but it was said in 2006 or so that this price level will not remain the same for the future, no matter what the underlying platform would be. The effort of production was perceived as too high back then already. Trains features micropayware at the same time which was met with mixed feelings, too. I remember one person stating that he would rather give something for free than to be pestered by disappointed customers spending a few bucks and demanding endless features and unachievable levels of detail.

For many years now financing games via in-game sales of virtual merchandise has been the leading trend in the game industry. ** RSC openly stated that they would go down this road, back when they were founded (or was that RSDL?).

For a creator, the RSC scheme decreases the cost. Someone who only drives trains gets less for free, compared to MSTS days. I feel that all the discussion about payware hides the problem that freeware creators only create (and share!) freeware to the extend to which they feel honoured for their effort.*** Lack of freeware cannot be attributed to availability of payware, it must also be seen as a crack in the loop of feedback and appreciation between creators and users.

Whether participation in the marketplace will pay off for creators will depend on their commission and the sales figures, and their own attitude to their labour value and how they want to be compensated for it.
** As I recall there was a poll before the release of Rail Simulator asking the question of how much people would pay for items and what they would expect for the price [ I wonder if that's still in the archives here ? ] ,, it was more than obvious way back then that the only way they could fund further upgrades/releases would be via a store. [ way more for those that took notice, remember the $1000 fee for vendors and the resulting conversation Andi ? ]

I can't believe that so many would spend so much on colored pixels or that a few could be so hard up as to use this market place rubbish to rip a $ out of some ones pocket for a few buildings...hope it fails to live up to expectations.

*** More to than that for some Andi, trust me. Never have I been so glad that I've not released a single item for this game, and I'm not the only person out here [ on the wrong side of the stadium ] with that attitude.

Have much fun.
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

gnash wrote:....or that a few could be so hard up as to use this market place rubbish to rip a $ out of some ones pocket for a few buildings...hope it fails to live up to expectations.
This part I just can't square with. Do you know every producer's personal circumstances , they may have mouths to feed and full time work elsewhere. How can you decide what value/price to attribute carte blanche to every single content contributors possibly limited spare time and hard work?

Nobody is being forced to put items up on Marketplace, just as none of the freeware sources (the websites) will be shut down because of it. To just dismiss everyone's efforts as not worth money, or to be ripping people off is very distasteful and disrespects the often large amounts of time, research and effort put in to the projects. There are only two folks who can decide if the work is good to make money - the content producer and the potential customer.
Matthew Wilson, development team at Vulcan Productions

http://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/VulcanFoundry/
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

gnash wrote: remember the $1000 fee for vendors and the resulting conversation Andi ?
I also remember in-game advertising and I am very glad they did not execute that plan.

I must say I love any idea for making money that does not bother me. If I can pass by the initial advertising swiftly and if I don't have to pay for upgrades, I could not be happier. There is payware for €1000 out there but I spent €0. Unfortunately, the game also develops in a direction favouring engine collectors and not system theorists like myself. But the zero money I spent over the past years was worth every dime of it.
gnash wrote: I can't believe that so many would spend so much on colored pixels or that a few could be so hard up as to use this market place rubbish to rip a $ out of some ones pocket for a few buildings...hope it fails to live up to expectations.
What would you gain from the failure? I cannot think of anything.

Even in our times, there are people spending cash on hobbies. It is the simple capitalist deal - you either have time or you have money. Some people will have a job that earns them enough to spend a bit while relaxing from it. Whether they go to cinema or pub or build railway layouts - virtual or physical - is everyone's personal preference. You get "ripped off" everywhere, but you also get a lot of joy when you do the right thing to please yourself.

It is also important to understand that it is totally normal for any kind of payware and in-game purchase that must people spend zero and few spend a lot. This is just common knowledge among game producers. Therefore, if you thing this is nonsense, you are just another member of the majority and there is nothing wrong with any aspect of the situation. The only detail that concerns you is that the seller (RSC) will develop the game (free of charge for you and me) to suit the needs of the paying minority. E.g., you may well see some (further?) improvement in the object library, so people with large (paid) collections don't feel they bought more than they can keep track of. This is either irrelevant for freeware, or beneficial. It cannot be bad.

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”