Class 321 coming soon from RSC?

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

jimmyshand
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Class 321 coming soon from RSC?

Post by jimmyshand »

I've got a bit of an embarrassing confession to make...

I was pretty outraged when RSC published the reskinned GEML class 90 of AP and released it through Steam as a standalone product. However, a lack of scenarios for the AP class 90 caused me to wobble on my outraged stance and I actually succumbed to the lure of Workshop scenarios and purchased the GEML class 90 at full price! I'm so ashamed!

We all know that the AP 321 will be far superior but if it's going to compete against the Workshop, then AP will have to match and outdo the Steam scenarios. I would choose AP scenarios over Workshop any day, even though you have to pay £4.99, but if AP don't back up their 321 with ample quality scenarios then RSC and their Workshop advantage will win.
msey0002
Very Active Forum Member

Post by msey0002 »

AP one for me too
spellow3010
Established Forum Member

Post by spellow3010 »

Jimmy,
I know which one I would prefer...

But I don't know which one I will buy. You make some very good points about scenarios.

Knowing me, I will probably end up getting which one comes out first ( :oops: ) -- or like you did with the 90, just say s_d it and get both and put it down to experience.

In response to the comment about a 'JT 150.' I have to say out of all the DLC I have bought off Steam, the Class 150 is actually a very good product. It shines brightly (for a sprinter) as a classic bit of DLC far above a lot of more recent 'in house' fayre.
That .geopdx file is not a code used by the Rebel Alliance...
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Post by phat2003uk »

The reason we've been holding back on scenarios for the GEML is due to awaiting our class 321 to be released so as soon as that's out, expect the scenarios to start flowing. Scenarios with a procession of 360s just isn't something we thought worth offering. It's also worth remembering that our 321 will come with high quality scenarios straight off the bat like our other rolling stock packs.
Varney
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Varney »

phat2003uk wrote:It's also worth remembering that our 321 will come with high quality scenarios straight off the bat like our other rolling stock packs.
...and more than one livery :wink:
msey0002
Very Active Forum Member

Post by msey0002 »

Thanks for the update, Richard, really looking forward to this 8)
spellow3010
Established Forum Member

Post by spellow3010 »

Yep,
good to know that Richard... All helps to educate potential purchasers!!
That .geopdx file is not a code used by the Rebel Alliance...
class313
Established Forum Member

Post by class313 »

the only thing that would make me buy the RSC one is that if it came with the Harwich branch extension at some point (maybe not immediately), as it would make sense, but the AP one will be by far the superior product hands down.
jimmyshand
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jimmyshand »

phat2003uk wrote:The reason we've been holding back on scenarios for the GEML is due to awaiting our class 321 to be released so as soon as that's out, expect the scenarios to start flowing. Scenarios with a procession of 360s just isn't something we thought worth offering. It's also worth remembering that our 321 will come with high quality scenarios straight off the bat like our other rolling stock packs.
Great stuff Richard, good to know and makes a real difference to the decision making process. For me now the AP version will be in pole position by a country mile.
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

The argument about an RSC version *winning* because of Workshop scenarios (which are user created, nothing to do with RSC) is rather limp. It's well documented how to download scenarios from Workshop and use RW Tools to swap stock, just as you'd do with any scenario from here you wished to edit by choice or because you don't have the assets the writer used--or even had them but in a different location.
Merlin75
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Merlin75 »

class313 wrote:the only thing that would make me buy the RSC one is that if it came with the Harwich branch extension.
That would be the only reason I would buy the RSC one aswell.
[album 241806 sig.jpg]
jimmyshand
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jimmyshand »

gptech wrote:The argument about an RSC version *winning* because of Workshop scenarios (which are user created, nothing to do with RSC) is rather limp. It's well documented how to download scenarios from Workshop and use RW Tools to swap stock, just as you'd do with any scenario from here you wished to edit by choice or because you don't have the assets the writer used--or even had them but in a different location.
Disagree there, the argument is not limp at all. RW Tools is powerful, useful and can indeed be used to swap items in scenarios but it's far from easy and takes a certain amount of time and effort. My time on the sim is limited to maybe 30 minutes to an hour late in the evening when the kids are in bed and all household chores are done. In this limited time I understandably want to jump straight in and drive, not have to spend umpteen minutes swapping out items in RW Tools first.
Some scenarios feature several dozen AI services which could all consist of driving locos, coaches and/or wagons and reskins thereof, that I don't have. Swapping out these individual pieces of stock is not quick.

Compare this to Workshop where you click a couple of icons from within the sim itself and you're ready to go in seconds. Reskins are not an issue, if you've got the DLC item, you're good to go.

I'd say the argument is actually pretty strong?
bdy26
Very Active Forum Member

Class 321 coming soon from RSC?

Post by bdy26 »

Ah same approach from RSC again. I bet they've got a Standard 4 in the works.... ;-)

AP will be getting my money!

B
http://bdy26.co.uk/sbhh/

Builder of The Cockermouth Keswick and Penrith Railway and Lancaster to Carlisle for RW; purveyor of dirty diesels to Vulcan Productions.
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Post by deltic009 »

bdy26 wrote:Ah same approach from RSC again. I bet they've got a Standard 4 in the works.... ;-)

B
Would you level the same at Waggonz Class 87 which came a long time after the DT then becoming the RSC one?

Choice and rivalry isn't a bad thing, nobody has complained about Railright making a third (I think) Class 40 either, so I don't think it really matters.
Matthew Wilson, development team at Vulcan Productions

http://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/VulcanFoundry/
theorganist
Very Active Forum Member

Post by theorganist »

bdy26 wrote:Ah same approach from RSC again. I bet they've got a Standard 4 in the works.... ;-)

B
But how do you know that RSC haven't had this planned for months?

A lot of people don't venture further from steam and may not even be aware of AP.

Peter

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”