DTG Class 33 problem

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

jujuz
Getting the hang of things now

Re: DTG Class 33 problem

Post by jujuz »

Yeah, I know about that mate (i.e fannying about with engine .bin file and serz.exe etc.) it's the sound issues I'm interested in getting an answer to and whether everyone gets the jet-engine/whooshing/looping noises or is it just me and my audio setup? Thx.
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markpullinger »

Hi, What sort of sound card are you using and have you got EFX enabled in the Audio tab of TS?
jujuz

Post by jujuz »

Sound card is ASUS Xonar DG (nothing special) and drivers are up-to-date. Usually run with EFX off but have tried it with EFX on (just tested again) and no discernable difference is detected.

The problem is certainly something to do with going to a menu (via Esc/F2 say) and then when you continue and the sound kicks back in, then the looping starts up, and is very noticable when running down (not so much on full power). It can also seem to be triggered after going to external view 2 (not so much 3) but not always. Now, if for example, I stay in the cab, don't do external views or any menu (esc/F2 etc.) then everything is tickety-boo and stays that way. Obviously going to a menu (sound off) and then resuming (sound kicks back in) is certainly something to do with it, but what? Is it just my set-up or the same for everyone?

Have no problems with the Kuju 47 and usually the Kuju 37 is OK, but I have had similar probs with the Kuju 37. I dunno, it's liveable with but bloody annoying to say the least.

Anyway, all thoughts appreciated. Thx.
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markpullinger »

Hi, try this. Have a look in the computer sound properties > speaker properties > Advanced and see what the sample rate for shared mode is - either 16bit or 24bit 48000Hz seems to work well on mine - too low a sample rate can cause strange effects. Also allow audio enhancements if available.
jujuz

Post by jujuz »

It's set at 24bit/48k, and I don't seem to have the Enhancements tab.

On further investigation I think what I've been describing as the jet-engine/whooshing noise is some kind of artifact of reverb (i.e the reverberation you get after passing a bridge structure, say) that doesn't get turned off correctly after passing, though paradoxically, I get no problem with tunnels. Hmm.

Thx for suggestion.
jujuz

Post by jujuz »

jujuz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:54 pm It's set at 24bit/48k, and I don't seem to have the Enhancements tab.

On further investigation I think what I've been describing as the jet-engine/whooshing noise is some kind of artifact of reverb (i.e the reverberation you get after passing a bridge structure, say) that doesn't get turned off correctly after passing, though paradoxically, I get no problem with tunnels. Hmm.

Thx for suggestion.
This is over and above the problem of resuming after a menu (esc/F2, say) and the sound kicking back in.
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markpullinger »

If no enhancements, it sounds like the system is using default drivers for the sound - have you got drivers from the card's website?
jujuz

Post by jujuz »

Oh, I see, apparantly I can't post a youtube clip or something.....
jujuz

Post by jujuz »

Oh I dunno, can anyone see it....
FoggyMorning
Very Active Forum Member

Post by FoggyMorning »

It's something to do with the forum code I believe - if you just post the link as a hyperlink rather than an embedded video it should work.

For what it's worth I've experienced the issue you're describing sporadically for as long as I can remember, and long since marked it down as a "feature" of the software. Sorry, I know that's not terribly helpful.
jujuz

Post by jujuz »

FoggyMorning wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:11 am It's something to do with the forum code I believe - if you just post the link as a hyperlink rather than an embedded video it should work.

For what it's worth I've experienced the issue you're describing sporadically for as long as I can remember, and long since marked it down as a "feature" of the software. Sorry, I know that's not terribly helpful.
Ah! I see. Thanks. OK try again...

We're gunning along at about 50 and cab/external2 sound OK. Start running down, and you can detect a slight the hint of whooshing on external2 view, but inside is ok. Then I hit the esc-menu and on return the whooshing is more pronounced outside and now present in the cab as well. I pan out externally and back in and that seems to cure it. By the time we get to Gatwick and I've been hitting the esc-menu a few more times the whooshing is v.noticable. Hopefully you'll now see what I mean.

https://youtu.be/Y7cGf9PUvAA

Hopefully that works...

Cheers!
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Why the need to use the "Esc" key?
jujuz

Post by jujuz »

gptech wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:08 am Why the need to use the "Esc" key?
How about... er... I dunno... to demonstrate the problem
rleirik
Been on the forums for a while

Post by rleirik »

In my experience it is a long-standing problem on older stock - the original 37 is particularly bad. Presumably DTG could fix it but, as usual, they just cannot be bothered.
Robin

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”