Trouble getting TS2021 to run

General discussion about Train Simulator, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

Very Active Forum Member

Re: Trouble getting TS2021 to run

Post by 749006 »

Muggles wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 pm I opened the player profilebin file, and this is what it said....

I think I have seen something similar on the insides of the Pyramids in Egypt....
If you double click the PlayerProfile.bin file it creates an XML version and you can open that with Notepad

Less hieroglyphics :)

Peter
http://peter749.piwigo.com/
My Railway Pictures
Muggles
Been on the forums for a while

Post by Muggles »

Something interesting on the Nvidia site.....

Release note: Effective April 12, 2018, Game Ready Driver upgrades, including performance enhancements, new features, and bug fixes, will be available only for desktop Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal, Volta, Turing and Ampere-series, as well as for systems utilizing mobile Maxwell, Pascal, and Turing-series GPUs for notebooks.
Following the posting of the final driver from Release 418 on April 11, 2019 GeForce Game Ready Drivers will no longer support NVIDIA 3D Vision or systems utilizing mobile Kepler-series GPUs. Critical security updates will be available for these products through April 2020. A complete list of Kepler-series GeForce GPUs can be found here.
Those looking to utilize 3D Vision can remain on a Release 418 driver. Our software that enables the use of 3D gaming with 3D TVs, 3DTV Play, is now included for free in Release 418. It is no longer available as a standalone download. Our 3D Vision Video Player will continue to be offered as a standalone download, for free, until the end of 2019.
[/i

Does this have any effect on TS....perhaps I should try the 418 driver????
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Post by johnrossetti »

Hi Muggles, No I dont think that NVIDIA is relevent otherwise many more people than you would have problems !
I have done a comparison of yours and mine playerprofiles.bin files.
Remember I'm not the expert Gary is, but there are one or two differences in the important section <Gameplay.........>
Ive enclosed a picture with the differences in your file on the RH Side in RED.
most of the differences are to do with how you have set details/sound levels/couplings etc etc
The bit I wanted to see was how the VDU/Monitor was set
It is set to 2560x1440 resolution
THERE IS a difference in the next VDU/Monitor Setting
Yours is 1 FullScreen
Mine is 2 Fullscreen
What I dont know is what the 1 and 2 mean !!
In TS20XX there are 3 options I would have thought (Gary) it would be 0 - 1 - 2 OR 1 - 2 - 3
Full Screen
Windowed
Borderless << << This is my setting so 2 means Borderless

Muggles, what is your understanding of the monitor settings two questions
Q1 > What is your monitos native resolution
Q2 > Do you run in Full Screen or Borderless or Windowed ?
I'll wait till you reply, or maybe Gary has another idea, I have both files still up side by side if there are any questions
Q3 > Just thought of it, do you have enough room on your HD for another FULL download from Steam ? ie a virgin version ?
Cheers John
playerprofile differences.jpg
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Post by johnrossetti »

I just did a test
<FullScreen d:type="sInt32">1</FullScreen> is full screen
<FullScreen d:type="sInt32">2</FullScreen> is borderless
<FullScreen d:type="sInt32">3</FullScreen> windowed (which on both my pcs with 1060 and 1080 cards does NOT work at all) in any resolution

Oddly even though the number changes the phrase FullScreen does not which is why I did a test to check

John
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

749006 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:51 pm If you double click the PlayerProfile.bin file it creates an XML version
Not by default Peter, you must have .bin files associated with serz.exe (or similar)
Muggles wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:56 pm Release note: Effective April 12, 2018
I wouldn't worry about something from 2 years plus ago.
johnrossetti wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm Oddly even though the number changes the phrase FullScreen does not
It wouldn't; it's defining the modes available when Full Screen is desired.
johnrossetti wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:34 pm do you have enough room on your HD for another FULL download from Steam ? ie a virgin version ?
A virgin version is what he's got---nothings been put back in it yet. (or at least it's what he should have)
Muggles

Post by Muggles »

Answers to your question John.
Q1 My screens native resolution 2560 x 1440 - this shows as recommended
Q2 I believe I run full screen. ( I don't remember seeing a border when I am running a route in game play)
Q3 I am not sure....here is the capacity....C drive - 195 GB used / 42 GB free.....D drive 692 GB used / 1.14 TB free..

No I have not put anything other than what Steam downloaded when I reinstalled the other day.
Muggles

Post by Muggles »

Looking at the playerprofile.bin that you have up John,,,,I noticed that it says...
ScreenResX 1280
ScreenResY 1024....

My screen resolution is 2560 x 1440.

I changed my resolution to 1280 x 1024 and tried to run...but same issue....

By the way...your post that said...is spot on.....
deliberately replicated this problem today by altering the monitor resolution EVEN though TSxxxx said it was available, NVIDA, could not cope on restart and TSxxxx started with the opening screen then went to a black blank screen and nothing could get it up Railworks 64 bit exe was also reported as not working
THE ICON was ok on the task bar at the bottom of the screen but did nothing when clicked on

John since you have my playerprofile,bin, can you make the adjustment and send it back to me to my email....I will then paste in and see if it runs....
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

Muggles
Where have you got the monitor connected?
Is it in fact connected to your video card OR is it connected to the motherboard?

John
With all due respect IMO this is not a playerprofiles.bin issue altering data in that is asking for trouble.
If you have a default playerprofiles.bin file created afresh by TS2020 all that means is you have reset TS to its default graphics settings, and provided that your video card and monitor are set up correctly in windows TS will run on its default settings which you can change.
The resolution in the playerprofiles.bin does not reflect the monitor resolution you have connected- it is just telling TS2020 to start at that resolution and then you change it in the sim.

One of the reasons you can not update a NVidia driver is if you have the monitor connected to the motherboard and not the video card.
PLUS I asked Muggles to try installing the latest STANDARD driver when Windows has been started in SAFE mode. That can force a recalcitrant driver to install. This has nothing to do with 3D or anything like that.
Muggles

Post by Muggles »

My monitor is connect to the video card.

I did get the new Nivida drivers installed...(didn't know I had to close down windows....and it was installed in safe mode.

The driver that was installed was 457.30 and I believe it is standard...in the file name it says WHQL...all files on Nvidia drivers for this card has the same ending of WHQL
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Standard or DCH drivers is a distinction that applies only to Win 10, drivers for Win 8 are all standard.
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

Gary
Correct wrt STANDARD - I expect everyone to be using Windows 10!! :)

Muggles:
WHQL - (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) A Microsoft facility that provides testing services for hardware and drivers for compliance with its operating systems. WHQL administers various logos that compliant vendors may reprint on their packages. Formerly called Microsoft Compatibility Labs (MCL), Microsoft also refers to the WHQL program as Winqual, or Windows Quality Online Services.
Just means it works with Windows!

Have you run sfc /scannow yet? You need to eliminate windows issues.
Follow these steps: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/hel ... ted-system

Where are we at? Is TS installing/running?

Can you try this please:
Press the Windows key + r together
type in exactly devmgmt.msc - press OK
Device Manager opens
Find "DEVICE ADAPTERS" or VIDEO CARDS or similar
LEFT CLICK - how many devices show up = should only be 1 - your nVidia G970 was it?
RIGHT CLICK on the G970 whatever your card was, - choose PROPERTIES then DRIVER
What does it say for DRIVER Version?
Read this if you have issues: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/ope ... 8-8.1.html
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

peterfhayes wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 pm I expect everyone to be using Windows 10!!
Likewise; I'm surprised so many aren't. I could understand it (to some degree) for those with seriously old hardware but that'd probably cause issues for TS regardless of which Windows version was in use. Upgrading to Win 10 is really something Muggles should consider dealing with once we have him all sorted (yes, I'm still confident we will :) )
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

Time to review where we're at I think...

New, clean default installation of TS outside of the system area
Updated graphics driver
No active Workshop subscriptions
PlayerProfiles.bin being worked on
Direct X reinstalled

We've missed out Visual C, and whilst the new graphics driver should have installed the latest version of PhysX there may be an older file(s) missing, so it'd possibly be worthwhile installing the package that comes with the game. Worthwhile running those 2 installers too guys?
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Post by johnrossetti »

Hi Muggles, just got home 03:15, Peter is right, for me to start altering your file could introduce even more problems, I need to have a think, but, two many cooks and all that, no-one here has more experience than Gary and it would be wise to let him follow through first.

I hadnt apreciated that what you had was already a virgin version of TS2021 with no other third party stuff whatever, this means, in all honesty, that you could just erase, or parkit and do a fresh instal, I know thats very time consuming and probebly frustrating too..

What windows version ? 7, 8, or 10

I have had a busy evening driving, so need to get some sleep, I cant remember what drive you said you had it on C: or D:, D: would be my choice as there is so much space.

Yes my setting is 1280x1024 but that is because I run 4 screens into one monitor in a quad split (it saves having to have 4 seperate monitors, the native resolution of my screen is 2560x2048

Just read some more of your reply, , I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, IN FULLSCREEN mode you cannot run in any resolution other the the monitor/VDU Native TSxxxx just kicks it out and restarts in what it thinks if the native, I never use FULLSCREEN because I run the equivilent of "two screens" and in that mode if you click on the second screen anything like TS or flightsims will collapse onto the task bar and the game stops until you enlarge it, running BORDERLESS as I do enables me to carry one working on the RH screen while I play sims on the LH screen.
-------------------------------------
I CANNOT see any reason why you would want to run 1280x1024 other than you actually changing the monitor AND
I cannot imagine how or what you changed as you could not even open the playerprofile.bin file
which the only way to get TS to run in a non-native resolution,
which is something you would only do in WINDOWED mode and anyway niether of my NVIDIA cards will let me do that,
TS will make the changes ok but the VDU will go black after start up.
-------------------------------------
Which is back full circle to where I still think you are.

If you decide to "erase" or re-instal there is a very simple way as you have the space, you could, to save time just rename the root steam file
D:\Steam
to
D:\OldSteam
this will make to computer think Steam and TS has gone and enable you to load a totally new version.

WAIT FOR GARY though and follow him please, but I still think your problem is a wrong resolution or screen setting conflict problem, because I can replicate it deliberatly AND in the past accidentally.

BTW half of your native screen res is 1280x720
Good luck, but I'm still here !
John
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

johnrossetti wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 am no-one here has more experience than Gary
..wanna bet? :wink:

when it comes to graphics settings, Peter's yer man!

As I've alluded to above, I think we should all just sit back a moment and see if we can spot what we've so far missed--we've all been around the game for that long that some things may be obvious/natural to us so we don't even consider that others may need to have them pointed out.

Return to “[TS] General Discussion”