Really noob question

Are you stuck making RailWorks work? Don't be afraid to ask your questions here, we were all beginners once!

Moderator: Moderators

pjduplooy2017
Getting the hang of things now

Really noob question

Post by pjduplooy2017 »

Guys. Forgive the noobishness, but is there a way to travel through a route without actually driving a train?
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Really noob question

Post by johnrossetti »

Not a Noob question at all, there are lots of times someone might want to travel the route without actually being the driver, especially when creating Scenery or Scenarios.
The question however begs others !

Do you want to travel at normal speed or high speed ?
Do you want to stop at any point and have a look round ?
Do you want to JUST travel through the SCENERY (end to end) or the ROUTE of a train (from a start point to an end point)

ALL these are alternatives are possible but the ways of achieving them very different.

Cheer John
pjduplooy2017

Post by pjduplooy2017 »

Hi John.

Yes I want to travel through the scenery, but also explore the whole route (if possible). And I want to stop sometime, and then just look around. And at normal speed.... and sometimes speed up. The whole thing is my wife complains about my hobby, and I want to show off to her what amazing stuff there are for this hobby.
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markpullinger »

Hi, I usually go into a free roam scenario and explore from there. IF you don't click on a loco, you can explore the whole route but, if you click on a drivable object (loco), you are limited to about a 2 mile radius from that object.
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Post by johnrossetti »

Mark is right, that is the simplist way by far.
It is possible to do a little further and enter instructions into the command line on your desktop and then be able to start a scenario and just fokllow it
It will drive itself and will keep to the speed limits and obay the signals, you just follow it like a seagull ! you can move the position about just like view 2 and 3 in the game,, sorry ,,simulation.
You can doing this unhook your self from the train let it chug of into the distance and look around the scenery too.

Also in the scenario edit mode you can watch the whole scenario by clicking on the Play button, selecting a speed and watching the whole thing happen.

If your happy to alter the properties of your TS2021 icon I can tell you how.
Cheers John
pjduplooy2017

Post by pjduplooy2017 »

John, Thar sound what I am looking for!!

I am very comfortable with command line options (Linux user for ages as well lol), so this would be very helpful.

Regards

Pieter
skiddaw
Established Forum Member

Post by skiddaw »

The CLI's you need to speed up and slow down the game and follow the player train as AI or switch to any AI train in a scenario are
-enableasynckeys and -followaitrain.
I don't think these were ever documented officially but a site specific search here, UKTS, or on RWA will give you all the info you need.
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Post by johnrossetti »

Pieter, apologies for slowness of reply, lots of lovely work on at the moment.
As skiddaw said already two are,,,, -enableasynckeys and -followaitrain.

Its best not to alter the icon given to you when the game installed, I got rid of mine so I cant even tell you what it said ! something like steam24601, If you have never played with the properties (right click on the icon) then its never changed but it points to the 32bit version of the game anyway so you may have created your own to get the the 64bit railworks64.exe

Even if you have STILL create another, an NEW one.

Mine reads like this
J:\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\RailWorks64.exe EnableAsyncKeys -followaitrain -allowjump -SetFOV=90 -DisableAWS -FPSLimit=30"

My TS20xx drive is J: so put your own in its place.

The gaps and minus signs AND speechmarks are important ! and remember the spelling of followaitrain
What do the other commands do ?
EnableAsyncKeys = is a time accelerator. You can speed up railworks, though not in career mode, by pressing any of Ctrl1 to Ctr5 (some think its not in use anymore)
-followaitrain = you can click on any train (incl AI) and you will follow it like a helicopter (SHIFT and left click)
-allowjump = in a scenario this enables you to jump onto, and drive any train, even if your driving one when you do it, that one may just stop or carryon following its instructions, depends on the scenario (left click on train)
-SetFOV=90 = I like this a lot, in increases the field of view of ALL VIEWS, so you can see more, like a wide angle lens even in the cab (60 is too narrow 110 is too wide)
-DisableAWS = Not used much but on certain scenery (with a nice designer) it stops the bl**dy AWS bell and doesnt annoy my partner !
-FPSLimit=30" = Films run at 24fps television is 25fps why games need to be 120fps I fail to understand, it just thrashes (and overheats) the PC
You dont have to use any of these but from time to time I find them all handy.
In the main forum Peter put a full list
Re: Enable Async Keys
Post by peterfhayes » 13 Nov 2019 06:34

Good luck John
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

johnrossetti wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:33 am Its best not to alter the icon given to you when the game installed, I got rid of mine so I cant even tell you what it said ! something like steam24601
It's only a shortcut to the .exe, so no harm will be done if it's deleted---2 minutes work to create another, either manually or through the Steam client.

John. it will have said steam 24010, as 24010 is the Steam code/ID for TS.
peterfhayes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by peterfhayes »

John
-FPSLimit=30" = Films run at 24fps television is 25fps why games need to be 120fps I fail to understand, it just thrashes (and overheats) the PC
John that is because LED/LCD monitors do not refresh their screens in the same way that a movie film does. It is like comparing apples to cucumbers.
The higher the fps displayed on the monitor the smoother the action much better for action games and even TS.
The Higher the refresh rate of the monitor the clearer and sharper is the image displayed.
Couple high fps with a high refresh rate and that gives the best possible clear sharp image.
If higher fps is overheating your PC then I'm afraid that something is very wrong with your PC. If that was the case anyone that has purchased a 4K monitor would have very serious overheating issues. :D

To the noob
The full list of command-line options: http://railworksamerica.com/forum/viewt ... =6&t=11182 (free subscription)

pH
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Post by johnrossetti »

Interesting point Peter, thank you for pointing that out.
I now have two computers each with dual outputs feeding a single monitor, so I can see all 4 pictures on a single screen
The monitor spec is 3840x2160, 120Hz, 4ms, FreeSync. the sums are 3840 divided by 2 = 1920, 2160 divided by 2 = 1080
multitasking-pic1.jpg
My Cards dont know this so happily plod on at 75Hz until I press the magic button and fill the screen with 1 full 4k output, but even then when the VDU frame rate jumps to 120Hz I cant see much of an improvment except the picture is bigger, all I know is my 1060 & 1080 cards start to get very hot and noisy, so I limit the frame rate
I will look into it because Frame and Field rates are different things, ASUS are being quiet helpful but slow.
Thanks for the Info, I hope Pieter is not to confused :(
John

Return to “[TS] Help for Beginners”