Huddersfield and Environs 1920 - V5 Activity

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Re: Huddersfield and Environs 1920 - V5 Activity

Post by dforrest »

MikeandDi wrote:Hi Stan

I am trying to run the latest version of the Bradford to Holmfirth activity, but, as with the previous version, I am having great difficulty with the station stops.

Although the brakes do eventually stop the train, it is a painfully slow process, almost as if I am runnng on icy or greasy rails, and in most cases far beyond the platform.

I note that Darwin seemed to be happy with the brakes on the locomotive (LYR-464T-HughesP1), but I wonder if he would mind having a look at the consist (sb_4MT-HughesN1+2xLBLset) to see if anything is amiss.

Incidentally, I did enjoy the excellent Cattle to Manchester activity, so many thanks for that.

Regards
Mike
Mike, Open Rails must be run the the latest "Unstable" version. Are you using that?

I have discussed the problem with Darwin and he has provided Open Rails versions of the .eng file which works perfectly for me. Unfortunately I am in the midst of an email server problem and distributing them is a problem.
David
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Well that consist is hauled by the P1 - now when I said that the brakes worked in OR, I meant no more than they would apply and release. I did not enter a judgement about the brake power.

Anyway earlier today I sent some OR eng files for these locos to David Forrest and he reports back that the brakes now work well.

I may also get around to looking at the rolling stock as this should be the main brake power on a passenger train.
Regards

Darwin
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Post by dforrest »

I have emailed Darwin's files to Stan but my mail server is so hit-and-miss today I do not know whether he has revived them. Mike, should I try and email them to you?

Well Established Forum Member

Post by MikeandDi »

Hi David

I am currently running unstable Open Rails U2020.06.22.

I have received the engine files by email from Darwin, so will give them a try, and post back on this thread.

Regards
Mike
MikeandDi

Post by MikeandDi »

Hi Darwin and David

I have tried a re-run of the start of the activity with Darwin's OR engine file, and the braking works well.

Upon full release of the brakes, I obtain a pressure of 16 inHg throughout the consist, instead of the "normal" 21 inHg, so I am not sure whether or not this has any effect on the train speed.

I will try a full run tomorrow, to see if I can maintain the timetable.

Thanks all for your help.

Mike
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Sorry, my mistake - copying and pasting too fast.

I wanted a brake with a vacuum pump. (LYR and LNWR locos generally had vacuum pumps.)

I copied the brakes from a GWR loco - where there is a separate large ejector to create the vacuum.

LYR (and LNWR) used combined ejectors that should operate the large ejector automatically.

Will resend the eng files to both of you.

Brake controller from these can be copied to any LYR loco.
Regards

Darwin
MikeandDi

Post by MikeandDi »

I am pleased to say that I have now completed the Bradford to Holmfirth activity using Darwin's OR engine file for the LYR 4-6-4 Hughes P1 tank locomotive.

It was an excellent activity, so many thanks to Brian for the route, Stan for the activity, Darwin for the engine file, and to the various stock builders.

The brakes were much better, and I was able to keep to the timetable throughout and complete all station stops.

I have also run a short test with Darwin's OR engine and tender files for the LYR 4-6-0 Hughes N1, and, again, the brakes work perfectly.

In order to help others, would it be possible to include the OR engine file for the Hughes P1 in the activity download, or is this likely to confuse people?

Many thanks to everyone for helping me out with this activity.

Regards
Mike

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”