Huddersfield and Environs 1920 - V5 Activity

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Huddersfield and Environs 1920 - V5 Activity

Post by dforrest »

Stan (Natsley) has uploaded this activity but has included sum BR locos for player and AI locos.

I have had the following PM exchange with him:
I am very pleased to see your activity for the Lancashire and Yorkshire 1920 route in the file library. However the two of the locos you have used, one the player loco, are British Railways locos which certainly were not available in the 1920s! I suggest that you modify the activity to include more suitable locos!!
Hi David,
I had to use the tank engines that i did because i could not get the brakes to work on the tank engines from the correct period.I tried all sorts of things but still could not get the train to stop.
yours Stan
Can anyone help?

Stan, which LY locos were you originally planning to use for the activity?
David
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Huddersfield and Environs 1920 - V5 Activity

Post by DarwinS »

I am always available to have a look at brakes! :drinking:

First question though - was Stan using the most recent unstable version of Open Rails?

A lot of changes to vacuum brake code have been made over the past year and locomotives with new OR parameters may not work with older versions of OR.

Anyway let me know which locos they are (send me any modified eng files) and I will see what I can do.
Regards

Darwin
Natsley
Getting the hang of things now

Post by Natsley »

Hi Darwin,
I am using version 1.3.1.4328 which is or was the latest stable release when i downloaded it.
The engines i had been trying to use were first from "LYR-Engine-Pack3" "LYR-464T-HughesP1" and after Davids comment i tried using "LY_LONG_BELPAIRE_2_4_2T" which is from the Skipton to Carlisle 1920 CD because it is in Lancashire and Yorkshire livery.
The only success i have had was when i tried using the ENG file from "CCW_BR_4MT_42073" in the above engines renaming the shape file so as to display the correct engine and of course renaming the ENG file to that of the same engines.
Yours Stan.
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Hi Stan,

The latest stable release is now quite old. Could you try with the most recent unstable version and let me know if the brakes work with that.

This is available from http://james-ross.co.uk/projects/or/bui ... -43-18.zip

If you wish you can have several versions of OR on your computer - you can keep the stable version and at the same time install the unstable version in another folder.

Regards

Darwin
Regards

Darwin
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

Stan, what was you original loco choice for "sb_4MT-HughesN1+2xLBLset.con" and "sb_G_TrafficCoalMT.con"?

Natsley

Post by Natsley »

Hi Darwin,i have tried on the latest version and there is no difference in the braking.This is using the loco "LYR-464T-HughesP1" which would of been my choice for the player engine.The other engine David mentions would have been "LNW-080-C1-Class LNW-Goods-Engines".I could not find the latter but have found it now,it is UKTS ID.38100.
Stan
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

Natsley wrote:Hi Darwin,i have tried on the latest version and there is no difference in the braking.This is using the loco "LYR-464T-HughesP1" which would of been my choice for the player engine.The other engine David mentions would have been "LNW-080-C1-Class LNW-Goods-Engines".I could not find the latter but have found it now,it is UKTS ID.38100.
Stan
Stan, I have "rebuilt" the activity using these two locos and the player loco runs perfectly for me. I have needed to make some other minor modifications but I do not think they have effected its running. If you PM me you email address, I will sent you a copy of the activity as I now have it.

Well Established Forum Member

Post by BrianB »

Hello Stan,

Thanks for having a go at making a new activity for Huddersfield.

The original locos you chose should have worked OK - before I release any new stock publicly, I send them out to a small group of friends (testers) - if they don't work properly, then I'm informed quite quickly, and can update them before release. Even though the (LYR) 4-6-4T did not come about until LMS days, I thought it would be nice to have a 'proper' LYR liveried version to play with in pre-grouping activities, hence its release in fictional LYR livery.

As Darwin has said, there has been some changes to the vacuum braking in recent versions of OR, which may or may not affect running, dependent on how old the loco file is as compared to how old the vacuum braking settings in the version of OR that you're using.

Your comment about using the original Skipton 2-4-2T's - these are now very old files and might not run perfectly in the current versions of OR. I did release a pack of four Short-Bunker 2-4-2T's recently, in several livery variations - these would be suitable substitutes for the original Skipton 2-4-2T's. BTW, the short-bunker tanks were far more numerous than the later long-bunker tanks, and so would be more commonly seen.

I'm sure David will help you sort out the activity and look forward to seeing a re-released version.

I have quite a few ideas for activities on both Huddersfield and LYR Heartland, so if you feel inclined, drop me an email (its in my readme files) and we may be able to add a few more activities to add to the scheme of things !

Regards, Brian Bere-Streeter
"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

dforrest wrote:
Natsley wrote:Hi Darwin,i have tried on the latest version and there is no difference in the braking.This is using the loco "LYR-464T-HughesP1" which would of been my choice for the player engine.The other engine David mentions would have been "LNW-080-C1-Class LNW-Goods-Engines".I could not find the latter but have found it now,it is UKTS ID.38100.
Stan
Stan, I have "rebuilt" the activity using these two locos and the player loco runs perfectly for me. I have needed to make some other minor modifications but I do not think they have effected its running. If you PM me you email address, I will sent you a copy of the activity as I now have it.

DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Firstly, as David says, the brakes work on these locos as they are.

Both locos have what I would call the standard MSTS brake controller - which is not very easy to use either in MSTS or OR.

A simple brake controller improvement that can be done for any MSTS steam loco is to replace the following lines in the eng file:

Brake_Train ( 0 1 0.01 0.65
NumNotches( 3
Notch(0 1 TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
Notch(0.4 1 TrainBrakesControllerRunningStart )
Notch(0.5 1 TrainBrakesControllerApplyStart )
)
)

with these lines:

Brake_Train ( 0 1 0.2 0.2
NumNotches( 3
Notch(0 0 TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
Notch(0.2 0 TrainBrakesControllerRunningStart )
Notch(0.4 1 TrainBrakesControllerVacuumApplyContinuousServiceStart ) ) )

A note of caution here - this brake controller will not work in the stable version of OR or the testing version. This controller only works in recent unstable versions of OR.
Regards

Darwin
Natsley

Post by Natsley »

Just finished doing the revised version of the activity which David e-mailed to me using engines more suited to the period and i had no problems with the engines or the Activity and so i will be uploading a revised version asap.I would like to thank David for the trouble he took to do this for me.
As for the OpenRails unstable version i was using i kept experiencing stuttering which seem to be happening mostly on bends and so may have something to do with sounds,squealing etc.Also every now and then a white screen would appear which was like a windowed version of OpenRails but with nothing visible which i could click out of using the red cross top right.
Another problem with OpenRAils is that the Activity Evaluator always seems to register that i have left Whilst boarding passengers even when i have not.
Stan
MikeandDi

Post by MikeandDi »

Hi Stan

Many thanks for the activity, which I am looking forward to running.

I had trouble finding the following loco and tender -

LNW-Goods-Engines\ex-LNW-080-C1-Class.eng ( LMSR ExLNWR 3F 0-8-0 8968 Bowen-Cooke C1 )
LNW-Goods-Engines\ex-LNW-Webb-1800gal-tender8968.wag

I have now found these under UKTS 38100, but they install to the folder -

LMS_exLNWR-Goods-Engines

so I have amended the activity using Ged's excellent MSTS_Swap utility, and Activity Analysis, and Route Riter is now happy.

Maybe there were two different versions of these files.

Hopefully, this may help if others have the same problem.

Regards
Mike
Natsley

Post by Natsley »

Hi Mike,that was the same problem i had,I got the consist from the"activity support consists" folder which uses the shorter of the 2 folder names.This had me stumped until i found it in the longer titled folder. Everything is OK now so i hope you enjoy the activity.
Stan
Natsley

Post by Natsley »

I have just found out that i had uploaded the wrong folder when i uploaded this corrected version of this activity.I will have to re-upload version 3 when i have fully checked it over.

Stan :oops:
MikeandDi

Post by MikeandDi »

Hi Stan

I am trying to run the latest version of the Bradford to Holmfirth activity, but, as with the previous version, I am having great difficulty with the station stops.

Although the brakes do eventually stop the train, it is a painfully slow process, almost as if I am runnng on icy or greasy rails, and in most cases far beyond the platform.

I note that Darwin seemed to be happy with the brakes on the locomotive (LYR-464T-HughesP1), but I wonder if he would mind having a look at the consist (sb_4MT-HughesN1+2xLBLset) to see if anything is amiss.

Incidentally, I did enjoy the excellent Cattle to Manchester activity, so many thanks for that.

Regards
Mike

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”