OR Route Editor

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

dee4141
Very Active Forum Member

OR Route Editor

Post by dee4141 »

Is there a guide available for using TSRE? I've managed to place and adjust objects OK, but trying to manipulate the terrain is very difficult.
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Re: OR Route Editor

Post by peacockg »

There is a partial guide in pdf form by Goku, but I cannot find where I downloaded it from.
There is also some guidance on Goku's website

Can you tell us what you are trying to do with terrain.
eg
load height data
adjust texture
adjust height manually
adjust height to match track

Garry
dee4141
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dee4141 »

I have a tile with tracks running across supported by terrain below the tracks only. The track is virtually flat across the tile i.e. no serious gradients, so I decided to raise the tile terrain height up to the same level of the tracks. After a lot of trial and error eventually I got this to work, but now I realise that the edges of the tile are above all sides of adjacent tiles.

It's not a problem as I still have the original tile copied. I will need to try again, but if I had a guide on adjusting terrain it would save a lot of hassle.
copperpen
Been on the forums for a while

Post by copperpen »

There is a pdf form of manual here, https://github.com/pwillard/TSRE5-Docum ... r/book.pdf
dee4141
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dee4141 »

Many Thanks for adding the link. There seems to be a lot of information to digest :D
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

So your track is above the general terrain, on an embankment, and you want to raise the surrounding terrain up to track level.

One way to do this is to lay a track/road piece at 90 degrees to the track and press F. Move this piece along the track as you want. You can also rotate it to raise the terrain in an arc. If you want the terrain to blend in with the lower terrain adjust the gradient of until the end is close to ground level.

If you have raised the whole tile level and now have a step at the boundary with the next tile, you can use the flatten function to smooth this.
Press F2 to get the terrain window on the right. Adjust the brush settings from 10 and 100 to 3 and 3 as a good starting point, increase these values as you get more confident.
Click on the down arrow beside "height type" and select Flatten.
Now roll the mouse around over the step and you will see it begin to smooth out.

Garry
dee4141
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dee4141 »

Thanks for this information Garry, I'll take a note of it. I need to read the Manual to understand things a bit more, and then decide the next step.
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

A useful tip for adjusting terrain is to use the View menu and tick "Terrain Grid". This will show you the corners of each terrain triangle where you can adjust the height.

Also if you have buildings around these can cast shadows that make it difficult to see what you are doing. Setting and tick "MSTS shadows" gives a clearer view.

Garry

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”