New Route

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

peacockg
Established Forum Member

New Route

Post by peacockg »

I continued to build my Zurich route after my previous post, but I am beginning to think it may be time for a new challenge. So what might take my interest?

I am thinking a British Railways route from the late 1950's or early 1960's, about the time when my brother and I were out at every opportunity with our notebooks and Ian Allen books of engine numbers. Also I think I might like to have a go with UKTS fine scale, I have never used this before.
3 possibilities have sprung to mind, all based on a London terminus.

1. A Great Western route out of Paddington. We used to live in Northolt on the line to Birmingham, but on countless occasions we went to Ealing Broadway to watch the trains there. Kings, Castles, Halls and towards the end of this period the diesel hydraulics which all got cheery boos from the lads. We would make our way there by bike or on the Greenford Fleabag, initially a 14xx steam loco before being replaced by a diesel railcar or DMU. I also remember Sunday visits to the sheds at Old Oak Common, in through a hole in the fence and then wandering round the sidings and roundhouses which were packed with locos.

2. A route out of Euston. We used to go to the park at Kenton, which is beside the mainline, and watch the Stanier Pacifics and Royal Scots, sometimes in Brunswick Green and other times in maroon livery. Again there were Sunday visits to the sheds at Camden.

3. Kings Cross. This we used to visit in the school holidays, we could move between here and St Pancras next door. There was a platform on the right that we could access without a platform ticket, and there was always a group of lads at the end, until we were moved on by a railway official. But then we had a spot outside the station on the right which gave a good view as well. I love the look of the Gresley pacifics.

So I am thinking about starting one of these. I do not want to pick one that has already been done, or that someone has already started. Any information or thoughts would be welcome.

Garry
dee4141
Very Active Forum Member

Re: New Route

Post by dee4141 »

My own preference would be a new route out of Euston. I still have the original Thames Mersey which I really like, but I believe an OR version would be a great update. I'm a bit prejudiced in choice as I was an avid trainspotter at Watford Junction from around 1948 to 1956, but the variety, quantity and speed of locos and consists along this line would really bring it to life. Also, if you start building at Euston you could upload the route in stages.
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Got to agree with that thought.

For all the huge size of Thames Mersey, I am always disappointed that I can not stop my steam trains at the main line platforms at Willesden Junction.
Regards

Darwin
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

OK so I am going to have a look at Euston as a starting point. I have actually set up a route using TSRE.
I have ordered the Thames Mersey CD so I can have a look at it.
I have installed UK Fine Scale track, or at least part of it. I have the .s and .sd files but seem to be missing the .ace files. Any ideas?

Garry
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

I am having a few problems with ukfs and I am going off the idea of using it. I may go back to using the standard A1t A2t etc.

The problem I am having is with the textures. Some of the track pieces show the sleepers when laid in TSRE, and some do not.
There seems to be no logic to this either. A double track 50m straight has no sleepers, a 20m section does, then a 400m radius curve has no sleepers.
I even downloaded a route from UKTS library, Didcot, and this shows the same problem.

As I am still playing about with the route waiting for a couple of books to arrive I will experiment some more using both track systems.

Garry
dennisat
Well Established Forum Member

Post by dennisat »

peacockg wrote:... Some of the track pieces show the sleepers when laid in TSRE, and some do not....Garry
What's showing where the sleepers should be? I've made considerable modifications to a Finescale route with TSRE and never seen a blank between the rails.

Dennis
[album 193027 OR_Supporter_Logo_Red.jpg] The best way to go
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Garry,
I've just installed the Didcot 'route' (having never heard of it before!) and added UKFS.

May I suggest that you use my UKFS-Fix - which is designed to avoid the flickering in ORTS. I noticed a few of the sleepers were slightly sunken but after running the Fix, they appeared correctly.
 Click to view more informationOpen Rails utility - UKFS-Fix v2.2 [633103 bytes] - UKFS-Fix2.zip
File ID: 36632 Date: 16 Dec 2018 - 338 Downloads

The original textures, uploaded by Tim Booth, are available from the library :
 Click to view more informationUKFS Texture Set 1 - Wooden sleepers, brown ballast [9052470 bytes] - ukfsv3_tex1.exe
File ID: 18021 Date: 20 Dec 2007 - 1244 Downloads

Click to view more informationUKFS Texture Set 2 - Wooden sleepers, grey ballast [9002926 bytes] - ukfsv3_tex2.exe
File ID: 18023 Date: 20 Dec 2007 - 1125 Downloads

Click to view more informationUKFS Texture Set 3 - Concrete sleepers, brown ballast [7864220 bytes] - ukfsv3_tex3.exe
File ID: 18025 Date: 20 Dec 2007 - 1105 Downloads

Click to view more informationUKFS Texture Set 4 - Concrete sleepers, grey ballast [7856484 bytes] - ukfsv3_tex4.exe
File ID: 18029 Date: 20 Dec 2007 - 1260 Downloads

and some later versions :
 Click to view more informationTrack texture change for ukfs, wooden sleeper,brown ballast trac [4428486 bytes] - UKFS_TEXMOD.zip
File ID: 25768 Date: 07 Dec 2011 - 592 Downloads

Click to view more informationTrack texture mods for ukfs [3918118 bytes] - UKFS_TEXMOD2.zip
File ID: 27889 Date: 19 Dec 2011 - 280 Downloads

Click to view more informationMSTS UKFS texture Collection [26634730 bytes] - CaldUKFS.zip
File ID: 34807 Date: 01 Oct 2015 - 261 Downloads

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

I am setting up the fix and recomp thingy now but it will be tomorrow before I can try this out.
Thanks Garry
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

Hi Ged
I am having problems with your fixer, I have obviously done something wrong.

I have installed UKFS v3.1.6 into E:1MSTS/Global/Shapes and have lots of ukfs.... .s and .sd files dated 2002/3
I have tried various of the .ace files you suggested, but I am not sure which one is in my route now.

I have installed UKFS-Fix v2.2 into folder E:\UKFS-Fix2 and I have an icon on the deskyop as well as an entry in the start menu under "Recently Added"

I have also installed the compiler and decompiler programs into their default location wherever that may be, and again I have entries in the recently added.

My problem is that when I start UKFS Fix, both from the desktop and from the .exe file in the folder, although the window opens, 2 of the 3 buttons are greyed out. The Quit and Process buttons are as the illustration included with the download, but the Start button is grey like Process and does not work.

Any help would be appreciated
Garry
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Garry,
Did you see an error message just after you started the program?

If so, it's likely that you didn't run comp.exe and decomp.exe after you'd installed them - it is covered in the readme. They need to be run once to set up their Registry entries. When that's done, UKFS-Fix knows where to find them!

If ANY error message is displayed just after starting the program, <START> will not be available.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

Hi Ged
You have sorted it for me. Running comp/decomp, and the Fixit is now processing the files.

I got no error message, just the usual warning about "Do you really want to allow this program to make changes to your computer?"

I will let you know later what the track looks like.

Garry
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

HI Garry,
That message is generated by Windows.
I'm surprised you didn't see an error message because that's the only reason the <START> button wouldn't be available!

I've just downloaded and tested the UKTS version, after disabling the comp/decomp Registry entries. The <START> and <Process> buttons were disabled and a message is shown below them. I'm not sure why it wasn't displayed on your PC, but am happy that the program seems to be working correctly.

Cheers,
Ged
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

Your Fix It program worked a treat Ged, as you can see in the picture. It took forever to do this, but that might be because my power option put the computer to sleep several times during the processing!!!

I am now going to experiment with ukfs, and possible track layouts for Euston station itself, and the approach to it. I am not sure if the current track layout as shown by OSM mapping in TSRE is correct for the late 1950 early 1960 period, but I will play about with this and hope that the books I have ordered contain useful details.

Thanks for the help
Garry
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Garry,
Yes, the program does take rather a long time to process the UKFS files. The previously released version used FFEDITc_unicode.exe and ran quicker than the current version, but required MSTS to be available, if not installed!

I'm still none-the-wiser regarding why you didn't see an error message when you first ran the program - it's certainly not been reported by any other users.

Cheers,
Ged

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”