Chiltern Line

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Chiltern Line

Post by dforrest »

The route is available for download:

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 01 of 11 [874040 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_01.zip
File ID: 39520 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 168 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 02 of 11 [86950934 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_02.zip
File ID: 39521 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 145 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 03 of 11 [155301968 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_03.zip
File ID: 39522 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 132 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 04 of 11 [562601140 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_04.zip
File ID: 39523 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 136 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 05 of 11 [775257532 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_05.zip
File ID: 39524 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 130 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 06 of 11 [726720903 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_06.zip
File ID: 39552 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 130 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 07 of 11 [494292215 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_07.zip
File ID: 39553 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 126 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 08 of 11 [517987296 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_08.zip
File ID: 39554 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 124 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 09 of 11 [330331014 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_09.zip
File ID: 39555 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 125 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 10 of 11 [621434273 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_10.zip
File ID: 39556 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 109 Downloads

Click to view more informationChiltern Route BETA version - File 11 of 11 [752065 bytes] - Chiltern_Download_11.zip
File ID: 39557 Date: 19 Apr 2020 - 141 Downloads
David
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Re: Chiltern Line

Post by Easilyconfused »

Good - glad to see the upload system worked once enough space was cleared for it.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
bootednancy
Getting the hang of things now

Post by bootednancy »

Picked my download of it this morning and have installed it.

Ran a little Explore starting at Banbury going south, and I think it's a great route....up there with Clive Heard's two (Penzance and Thames-trent]...great detail and network of lines, just missing Paddington so you can get to Oxford the "other way" on the Western.

thanks "dforrest" :wink: :D

Doug
bootednancy

Re: Chiltern Line rolling stock

Post by bootednancy »

Have another question about the new route.

I was at Marylebone station back on my first UK visit in 1982, and I remember at that time, the place was a "sleeper"...very little if any activity. I guess the only things that ever went out of there were DMU trains to Aylesbury, Banbury, and any "short turns"....as I only saw a couple of class 115 DMU sets of 4 cars running.

I am running DocMartin's new route in the 1980's modern era, so we are not talking about the "glory steam days" for which I have never seen nor appreciate.

With all the other good stock in the Library...did anything other than 115 units run these lines??? Did it ever include locomotive hauled trains ( again, not talking about steam, as several activities DO) ???

Have not been there recently, but with all the Private Operator "era" what do trains and services look like since the "turn of the Century" ???

Thanks for the help to somebody who is far distant across the pond from BritRail.....(God, does blue/grey/yellow ends REALLY look that good today ??? :D :D :D

Doug
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

As far as I know Marylebone was just the dmus at that time. Plus the odd excursion - I can remember boarding a Mystery Tour at Marylebone in the 1970s. Mk 1s hauled by a class 45. We finished up in Shrewsbury.

Of course as you go further along there is the Metropolitan and the Bakerloo/Jubilee line and the Central Line and the traffic too and from Paddington.

A book from the era says that on the Aylesbury line the only freight traffic consisted of "workings by the LT battery locomotives with spoil for Watford tip".

There apparently remained the following on the Banbury line in the late 1970s

Freight from Bletchley to Aylesbury - Class 25
Early morning Parcels Padding to Aylesbury via Banbury - Class 31
It says any freight between Aylesbury and London (WR) was handled by either Class 31 or 47 and ran via Banbury, although it seems that this was almost non-existant anyway.
There were one or two morning and evening passenger services from Paddington by the Banbury route - Mk 1 hauled by class 47.
Regards

Darwin
bootednancy

Post by bootednancy »

Thank you very much Darwin....this is very helpful in restructuring the consists for the activities.

One last point, the passenger trains that were run by the Class 115 units....would they double them up in Rush Hours to 8 cars?? (2x 4 car sets) or would a 4 car be sufficient for the area traffic.

I have the book LONDON TERMINALS, Alan Jackson c1969 so after some sleep tonight, I need to dig into that and see what it says on the history...but it is a bit out of date by 13-15 years for what I am looking at in my inquiry.....however it wasn't a priority station, it was given last chapter in the book after all the others, though the chapters circle from my usual favorite hangout, Euston, going clockwise.

Thanks for the assistance

Doug
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Good question Doug,

I don't know for sure, but I am guessing they would have run 8 car trains at peak periods.
Regards

Darwin
docmartin
Very Active Forum Member

Post by docmartin »

I rode the route Bicester to Marylebone and back every weekday in the 1980s, which is one reason I decided to have a go at building the route. I thought the mainstay of the stock was Class 117 but I may be wrong. Anyway, I can confirm that 8 car units were run at peak times. Also there was one loco hauled service, usually by a class 47, in each direction every day - Birmingham New Street to Paddington, IIRC correctly around 8:15 at Bicester, and 17:40 from Paddington to Birmingham.

Martin
perfnet
Well Established Forum Member

Post by perfnet »

I think Class 115 DMUs were also involved at some point, when the Midland region took over. As DocMartin has created the route as it was in the 50s/60s you will find the tail end of the Eastern Region's presence in my activities as well as some of the Midland region's. Of course, there wasn't a swap overnight, and several of the LT lines were in transition at the same time, so it's possible to be rather greedy and have quite a mix of stock, which I have taken advantage of.

Richard
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

The Chiltern units were Class 115 Derby 4 car units with 230hp engines. https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-115/

From the 1982-3 Passenger timetable the through train was:
Birmingham d 06.43... Banbury 07.42, Bicester 08.03, Princes Risborough 08.23, High Wycombe 08.34/08.35, Paddington a 09.10
Paddington d 17.41, High Wycombe 18.13/18.14, Princes Risborough 18.28, Bicester 18.50, Banbury 19.09... Birmingham a 20.13

The 1980 Passenger Train Marshalling says the up set was formed of Air Braked, Dual Heated 100 mph LMR Mk II a/b/c stock
Formation of 06.45 from Birmingham NEA, TSO, TSO, TSO, FK, TSO, TSO, RUB, BFK
The down set was formed of Air Braked, Dual Heated 100 mph LMR Mk II a/b/c stock
Formation of 17.42 from Paddington BSO, TSO, TSO, TSO, TSO, TSO, RKB, FK, BFK (Train Must not exceed 10 standard carriage lengths.)
Regards

Darwin
bootednancy

Post by bootednancy »

Thank you very much for your replies, the information and your memories.

Helps very much for what I want to do.

Doug
bootednancy

Post by bootednancy »

With all your help...."for my first act"......................

I am working on the "BAKERLOO RUSH HOUR" scenario and have discovered an error, as I was "hacking" the consists to the era I desired.

There is one mainline consist RS_L1 Rev + Set 20-34 Sbound which I decided to keep the Gresley 51ft Suburbans but put a D-class-47 diesel in two tone green instead of the steam loco.
I figure the cars are old and "rickety" and the train is a last gasp living out it's days at a long distance suburban run to "downtown".

In the above stated consist, there is this error:

Wagon (
WagonData ( Gresley_51ft_art_3rd_Front_C Gresley_51ft_Subs_Crimson )
UiD ( 10 )
)
Wagon (
WagonData ( Gresley_51ft_BT_Rear_C Gresley_51ft_Subs_Crimson )
UiD ( 11 )
)
Wagon (
WagonData ( MK1_Tail_Lamp BR_MK1_Tail_Lamp )
UiD ( 8 )

Wagon (11) is designated wrong, as it is "coupled" to an articulated 3rd.and would produce a kind of lop-sided train.

That car should read: Gresley_51ft_art_BT_Rear_C to mate with the front unit and display car 12, the Tail Lamp.

Enjoy
Doug
perfnet
Well Established Forum Member

Post by perfnet »

Oops, well spotted. We’ll get a fix out shortly for that one!

Thanks

Richard
bootednancy wrote:With all your help...."for my first act"......................

I am working on the "BAKERLOO RUSH HOUR" scenario and have discovered an error, as I was "hacking" the consists to the era I desired.

There is one mainline consist RS_L1 Rev + Set 20-34 Sbound which I decided to keep the Gresley 51ft Suburbans but put a D-class-47 diesel in two tone green instead of the steam loco.
I figure the cars are old and "rickety" and the train is a last gasp living out it's days at a long distance suburban run to "downtown".

In the above stated consist, there is this error:

Wagon (
WagonData ( Gresley_51ft_art_3rd_Front_C Gresley_51ft_Subs_Crimson )
UiD ( 10 )
)
Wagon (
WagonData ( Gresley_51ft_BT_Rear_C Gresley_51ft_Subs_Crimson )
UiD ( 11 )
)
Wagon (
WagonData ( MK1_Tail_Lamp BR_MK1_Tail_Lamp )
UiD ( 8 )

Wagon (11) is designated wrong, as it is "coupled" to an articulated 3rd.and would produce a kind of lop-sided train.

That car should read: Gresley_51ft_art_BT_Rear_C to mate with the front unit and display car 12, the Tail Lamp.

Enjoy
Doug
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Post by dforrest »

An update on possible problems with the running of the steam locos supplied with this route, with Open Rails.

For the brake system to operate as designed, the "Unstable" version of Open Rails must be used. If you are not already using it, follow these steps to install it:

1. Open Open Rails and choose "Options".

2. Choose "Updater" from the menu".

3. Choose the "Unstable" button and then click on "OK".

4. Choose to install the latest version when it is offered in the top-right corner of the Open Rails main menu.

stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi,
not sure what i'm doing wrong but i have carried out the installation instructions but appear to have most of the scenery missing?

I am running OR v1.31 & copying all of the folders accross into my MSTS folder.

I start off in marylebone & drive out of the station. It is barren scenery. Surely this is not right.

OR... is it because it is a BETA version & work still in progress.

Best Wishes..

Stef Curtis
The future's bright! The future's Open Rails! :)

Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System, AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 Motherboard
8GB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (1GB), Realtek High Definition Audio

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”