Held indefinitely at red light

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

alanturk
Been on the forums for a while

Held indefinitely at red light

Post by alanturk »

I've had a lot of pleasure creating my highly "creative" version of the Diamond Valley Railway in Australia. I've designed it to use OR in Auto-pilot mode, rather than MSTS, and made a number of activities for it, all successfully - until now. My "swan song" for this railway is a somewhat convoluted activity involving traversing some parts more than once and I'm not surprised to find signals sometimes behaving a trifle oddly, but eventually after a lot of experimentation and file-editing I made it do what I wanted. Then I thought it would be good to add just one more service, where at the final station another train arrives at the opposite platform and then continues. What happens in fact is that the train stops short of the station, held by a red signal. I changed it to start further back, and now it stops at an earlier signal. There is nothing ahead, right up to the end point of the path, but the signals remain obstinately at danger. Why? I tried running it in MSTS, but it simply crashes or freezes after a few minutes, so I learned nothing from that. I really would like to solve this one so that I can finally wrap things up. Any ideas much appreciated.
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Re: Held indefinitely at red light

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Alan,

A bit more information would help, such as is it a single track line leading into the station or double track? If it is single then it could be that your player train is trying to clear the path for itself - try inserting a wait point so that the other train arrives before you are due to leave.

I've had this problem several times and it can sometimes take a lot of trial and error to fix.

Hope this helps,

Stephen
alanturk

Post by alanturk »

Thanks Stephen. You're right, I didn't explain that properly.

The station has two platforms opposite each other with separate tracks serving each. At one end there are two tracks, with one of them (the one with my AI train) splitting into two just short of the platform and controlled by signals, so that there is a central track going through the station, not serving a platform. At the other end, the three tracks then run parallel to one another for a considerable distance, with signals at intervals. My player train arrives from the three-track end and stops at the platform as its final stop.

OR allows me to continue after the end of the activity, so my train then continues and soon branches off into a large yard, finally coming to a halt at buffers in a shed. Meanwhile, the AI train remains stuck at a signal controlling its entry into the station, where it should stop at the platform and then proceed, rather than going onto the central track and leaving at the far end without stopping.

I should add that my player train has already (in the same activity, some minutes earlier) entered the station from the three-track end and stopped for boarding, then having to wait for an approaching train to branch onto the central track before it can continue. In short, it all works very nicely except for that final train that can't, for some unknown reason, get past the signal.

Just to amplify that a bit, the AI train's path started between the signal at the station entrance and another signal a bit further away. I tried starting it further away, so that it would have to pass two signals before the station instead of just the one, but it simply stopped at the further-away signal. I'm wondering whether it's possible to edit a file to force the red signal to change, but maybe not, though I'm happy to edit the files as long as I understand how they work. In fact my activity wouldn't work at all if I didn't make a few edits.

I hope that clarifies things without drowning you in too much detail!

Alan.
alanturk

Post by alanturk »

You may be interested to see the original DVR track plan, which I have used as the basis of my route. It can be found at:

https://www.dvr.com.au/all-about-us/track-plan-2016.pdf

The station I mentioned replicates the one on the plan marked as "Diamond Valley Platforms and Station Building".

The website generally is worth exploring, especially the videos.
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the in-depth reply.

Several things come to mind:-

1. There is no need to use the OR "continue after the end of the activity" Using the MSTS Activity Editor open your activity, open Window, Action Events and uncheck "Stop at Final Station". This will allow you to carry on after the final station.

2. Is there a signal controlling your exit from the final station and into the yard? If not then that could be your problem.

3. Assuming there is a signal, using either MSTS or OR Track viewer insert a double reverse point before the signal which should give the ai train priority.

4. Using the OR Track Viewer in the ai trains path before the offending signal insert a wait point and select "allow ai train to pass red signal". In this situation it may or may not work.

The Diamond Valley Railway looks a fascinating system with endless possibilities for activities and hours ( weeks, years? ) of pleasure.

Regards,

Stepnen
alanturk

Post by alanturk »

Thanks Stephen. I'm glad you liked the DVR. I was visiting the region a number of years ago (from UK) and took some of my grandchildren there. We had a great time.

There is indeed a signal controlling the exit from the final station and another at the entrance to the yard from the main track. The signals in my route don't replicate the originals, as the scale is different and needed signalling differently to reduce section lengths.

I couldn't see how to add reverese points in the OR Track Viewer. If possible I would like to do it that way, rather than in MSTS's AE, as I have done quite a number of edits to the Activity and other files to get the timing right for Auto-pilot mode, and the AE changes them all, meaning I have to repeat all the edits. Maybe you can enlighten me.

I succeeded in adding a wait point in the way you suggest, but it made no difference I'm afraid - the AI train continued to wait, even long after the normal end of the activity. I guess I may have to abandon that particular piece of traffic - it's not essential.

Thanks again. - Alan.
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Alan,

OR Track Viewer is much better for editing paths than MSTS as you only need to edit what needs doing rather than from the edit point to the end with MSTS - if this makes sense.

As I don't know how much knowledge you have of OR Track Viewer I'll start from the beginning - apologies if you already know this.

Open Open Rails ( preferably the Stable Version ), click on Tools,Track Viewer and wait for it open. Then File, select install folder and navigate to your route. Then Select Route, "DVR?". Once track is displayed Select Path-Editor, Load Path, select your path and then select Enable editing.

Next click on a Track Node after the section you wish to edit and select Cut path and store its tail. Click on the track section to be edited and select place reverse point, add another on the now reversed path very close to the first one and your path should now continue to the next track node. Click on this and select Reconnect to tail and SAVE.

Don't worry about my suggestion for the wait point in the ai's train path, that particular one is normally only used when coupling an ai train to a consist.

Hope this helps,

Stephen
alanturk

Post by alanturk »

Hi Stephen

I've been experimenting to find out what is causing the problem. I made a small activity that involved only the train that gets held at the red light. The double reverse worked fine (in OR) and a green light appeared. Next I made another activity with a train on a nearby track so that I could observe the ai train. Again, it worked OK.

Next, back to MSTS to try deleting the various services, one at a time. None of them made any difference - the ai train still became stuck when testing in MSTS. I then made another test activity invloving a player train on a nearby track, so I could observe what happened when I invoked my normal player train as an ai one. Same result. Finally I tried again deleting each of the services in turn. The only one that allowed the problem train to pass the signal was my usual player train service.

Clearly, the whole thing collapses if I don't have a player train! Unless you (or anyone else) can offer any further suggestions I guess I'll just have to do without that particular service. Frustrating to be thwarted by the very last addition I had planned to make to the route. That's life I guess.

Thanks again for trying to help - much appreciated.

Alan.

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”