3D Cabview steam engine

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

mrmosky
Been on the forums for a while

3D Cabview steam engine

Post by mrmosky »

I thought that would have a change from diesels and electric cabs, and try a steam engine for my next project. I had a look at some steam engine models that are already out there to pick a decent candidate for a 3d cab.
I was looking for a model that looked good from close up, since whatever you can see from the cab is just that. A lot of models use alpha textures for cab windows, for instance which is ok from a distance....

Anyway, I eventually decided upon a model by mickrik (Michael Young). It is his Standard 4MT tank engine. This was modelled in 3D canvas and is quite high in poly's, and hence detail.
Capture.JPG
I wrote Michael an email asking for his permission to use the model and he generously agreed.

So I then converted the model to import into TSM. This is what the model looks like in TSM.
rawmodel.JPG
The next thing to do was to remove all parts not visible from the cab. They could have been left in the cab model, but it would have been very large. This is what I was left with as a basis for the cab.
rawmodel2.JPG
Geoff
mrmosky

Re: 3D Cabview steam engine

Post by mrmosky »

And here is what it looks like in Openrails, from the driver's position.

A bare canvas for me to add controls and details, but I don't have to worry about the basic structure.
cab01.JPG
Geoff
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Very impressive start.

Happy to help with working out controls and things if you wish. Better still if you can get a fireman or driver on it.

Has there been any improvement in the way you suggested to make the water gauge?
Regards

Darwin
mrmosky

Post by mrmosky »

Hi Darwin,
Thanks for the offer of help. I am struggling to find photographs or diagrams of the cab layout and controls. If you have any ideas on that, it would be welcome.

I have a couple of ideas on water gauge animation, which I will try out.

Not sure about adding crew to the cab...after all, the driver is you. Happy to discuss this though.

Geoff
mrmosky

Post by mrmosky »

Here's a link to a screen shot video of the cab. I have added a fire hole to the backhead of the boiler, and added an animated fire.

https://youtu.be/NvWbHpr-ilU
mrmosky

Post by mrmosky »

Hi Clive,
Thanks for that.
I had found these, but the layout of the controls is different in the Fairburn Tank engine, as modelled by Mickrik. The regulator is pivoted in the centre of the backhead.

Cheers, Geoff
mrmosky

Post by mrmosky »

screen1.JPG
I have been making some progress with the cab. I found that the cab layout is very similar to other LMS designs. So I have added a Cutoff control to the cab. The textures are just temporary, and will be improved later on.

Geoff
mrmosky

Post by mrmosky »

cab02.JPG
Cutoff textures have been added - and it works too! next thing is to add some pipework - should be fun.

Geoff
mrmosky

Post by mrmosky »

wip.jpg
This brake valve is quite a complex part. I reckon that there is as much work in this as some locomotives! It isabout 1000 poly's already and it isn't finished yet.

Here is progress so far.
Capwip2.JPG
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Wow. Looking good.
Regards

Darwin
mrmosky

Post by mrmosky »

Thanks Darwin,

This will eventually need five animations to make it work.

You may be able to help me. I am wondering what the u shaped attachment does (in the picture, circled in orange). Have any ideas?
wip2.jpg
Geoff
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Hi Geoff

This diagram from Brian Hains tutorial on vacuum brake systems explains the parts:

If you use a recent unstable version of OR you will see how it operates in the 2D cab view that I sent.

The part you have circled is a latch, which should make sure that the steam brake (on the loco) is not operated independently from the vacuum brake (for the train). In real life driver's did find a way around this, although it was frowned upon by the engineer's as it messes up the equipment!

The following pictures might give you some idea of the operation:

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more detail.
Regards

Darwin
mrmosky

Post by mrmosky »

Hi Darwin,

That's a superb explanation, thanks. I can now animate it with confidence.

Geoff
mrmosky

Post by mrmosky »

A lot of progress since the last update for the cab. It is now almost ready to be released.
Cabture1.JPG

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”