Plymouth to Penzance Route in OR

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Plymouth to Penzance Route in OR

Post by coolhand101 »

I just completed the first activity "04.30 Falmouth to Drinnick Mill. Being a very novice steam driver, I did run out of fuel at burngullow and one of the engines 'seized up'. With a lot of manual shunts and one water refilling of the good engine, I did complete the activity with the one good engine. However I did notice that with wind resistance enabled in the OR options, these engines produce way to much drag, it is very high!. This caused using too much use of a high regulator setting and probably caused the water to run out before the activity was completed.

If you are using wind resistance from the OR menu options, these OR engine files have this parameter:

Code: Select all

ORTSDavisDragConstant ( 0.1 )
That setting ( 0.1 ) produces way to much drag. To let the OR physics compute this automatically, just comment this parameter out.

Also, in the experimental options menu, if you want, you can untick 'signal light glow' to avoid the very large brightness of buffer stop lamps and semaphore main signals at a distance. There is a more detailed approach to customize these glows, Look in the OR manual for more information.

I can now see the attention and more of a 'game play' using steam engines compared to diesel or electrics. You really have to watch how you drive with steamers.

Going to spend some long hours on this fantastic route!

Thanks
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Plymouth to Penzance Route in OR

Post by DarwinS »

If anyone wants to try them I have just uploaded an advance copy of some OR files for GWR locos.

Click to view more informationOR Eng and Wag Files for GWR Locos [391759 bytes] - GWRLocos.zip
File ID: 39397 Date: 10 Mar 2020 - 57 Downloads

Currently awaiting approval. Most of the larger locos use the GWR braking system with vacuum pump and separate large ejector - you will have to switch on the large ejector CTRL+J to release the vacuum brakes, remember to switch it off again ALT+J once brakes are released. Smaller locos normally have a combination ejector operated by the driver's brake valve.

A typical value for the ORTSDavisDragConstant for a steam loco might be something like ORTSDavisDragConstant ( 0.003 )

I have added a calculation for this to the Friction Calculator if you want to try and work out values for other rolling stock

Click to view more informationFriction Calculator [404267 bytes] - Friction Calculator.zip
File ID: 37188 Date: 28 Aug 2019 - 93 Downloads
Regards

Darwin
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Post by coolhand101 »

Thanks DarwinS. These will be very useful as l have no real knowledge what to change for steam engines. I'm pretty sure you have also released some advance OR diesel hydraulics locomotives which can also be useful for this route.

Thanks
stephenjrhodes
Been on the forums for a while

Post by stephenjrhodes »

Can not seem to get the Warships to move D600`s and D800`s . Tried everything the other diesels are ok (westerns and D63XX) work ok
Im using open rails V1.3.1-123-g332ddb9c. Any ideas
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Hi Stephen

Have you tried using the physics from here:

Click to view more informationOR Eng Files for Diesel Hydraulic locos [68661 bytes] - Hydraulic Eng Files.zip
File ID: 38959 Date: 17 Jul 2019 - 108 Downloads
Regards

Darwin
stephenjrhodes
Been on the forums for a while

Post by stephenjrhodes »

Got most to work apart from one
Love the route thought
kenpix
Getting the hang of things now

Post by kenpix »

Another finely crafted route from Clive. One minor issue I've found when exploring the route - tunnels have no track texture inside them, the tracks run on a white surface. Anyone else had this? When loading the route's track textures into the editing tool (TGATool2A) they all appear ok.
Ken

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”