Underground Station

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

peacockg
Established Forum Member

Underground Station

Post by peacockg »

I am trying to build an underground station for my route, an image of the station can be seen below.

The route has both overground and tunnel track, and is set up for daytime, nightime and snow conditions.
My underground station will need to look the same in all 3 of these conditions. I have particular concerns as to how to achieve this with the track textures.

If anyone has any ideas or has built a similar station I would be pleased to hear from them.
Garry
ozziedriver
Been on the forums for a while

Re: Underground Station

Post by ozziedriver »

you wont need the snow option but make your model glow in the dark with it's textures
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

I have started on the project, making an outline for the station. At the moment it has not been textured, hence the white patches and stripy grey.

I have found a problem that means I may abandon the project. Looking at the 2 pictures, the first is in daylight, the second at night, the station textures remain the same, but the train and track textures are the problem.

I am not sure where to go from here, unless anyone has a way around this, I may well put it down as an interesting experience.
Garry
ozziedriver
Been on the forums for a while

Post by ozziedriver »

Looks like you have solved the station problem

Now the biggest problem is getting the train and track to glow in the dark while underground
I don't know how you could go about that because the track and train would glow in the dark outside of your underground if you did the same thing

MSTS Bin used to have way of making the cab glow in the dark in tunnels
You could look into that
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

Hi Ozzie
I think that delving into MSTSBin is well beyond my capabilities, so I am going back to the other end of my route some 30km away and will continue building there.

One thing that may be of interest to others is an escalator. I have started making one as it is quite prominent in views of the underground station. I have not finished this, but if someone else is interested in it for their route I might continue with it.

Another point that might interest others is the source of the original image -- Google street view. In addition to seeing cars equipped with a multitude of cameras, you may notice a strange apparition similarly kitted out walking around a town centre, recording views of pedestrian areas. If you use Google Earth and go to the main station in Zurich, enter street view above the platforms, and you will enter the station itself. There is a small window in the top right 0 -1 -2 -3 which enables you to select the different levels within the station.
Similarly, if you are interested in particle physics, you can navigate to CERN at Geneva and visit various parts of the particle accelerator!

Garry
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Post by coolhand101 »

It is possible to make the rails and ballast using the bright texture setting, but it involves using the same track shape but with a different name so you can select this in RE.

As for the train, there has always ever been one light source in MSTS and OR. However, OR may be able to add this in the future
In reverse, you get the same daytime texture on trains in a long tunnel :o

Have you tried looking at the Underground/Subway routes for clarification on your issues ?

Thanks
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

Hi coolhand
I have downloaded the following 2 underground routes, and installed them. They are both very old, about 15 years old. I didn't have much success with them as I could not create activities, as MSTS Editor crashed. I looked at them with TSRE, and they both seemed only part finished.

UKTS_6841_london_underground
UKTS_15814_DistrictLine-Beta1A-kit

What sparked my interest was seeing a couple of articles on the Leman Express, to the south of Geneva, which has stations in tunnels. My route starts at Zurich main station, which has 8 platforms underground that I have previously ignored. There is also a line to Zurich airport, again the station is underground. I think I will stick to my original plan and continue with the above ground line on its way towards Basel.

Garry
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Garry,
If it's of any interest, three London Underground routes are available from treinpunt.nl, providing you're a registered user. They are the District (v Beta1B), Northern (v1.2) and Piccadilly (v1.0) Lines, all dated 2008. Since November 2019, treinpunt.nl has been undergoing changes, but the routes are still available from their archive.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

Hi Ged
Thanks for looking into this. I have just downloaded the District Line from your link, and it is the same as the route in the library here.

I am going to continue with the overground section of my route.
Garry

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”