Semaphore signal error

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

kenpix
Getting the hang of things now

Semaphore signal error

Post by kenpix »

This old chestnut has raised it's head several times with MSTS and OpenRails but I'd be glad of any further info to date.
The MSTS problem of distant signals showing "on" when they should be "off" was partly down to the "number clear ahead" figure in the sigcfg file if I remember correctly.
OpenRails uses different methodology but there is a bug in the system that produces similar errors. From what I can gather it's where a distant signal interprets BOTH arms of a junction signal ahead as being in respect of the player route; the off route one will of course show "on" and therefore prevent the distant clearing.
I'm having this problem with many distant signals on the London Tilbury and Southend V.2 route - this is the main problem with running the route in Open Rails, which otherwise has been an excellent sim.
Is anyone aware of whether this will be sorted or alternatively any tips to get round the problem? All I can think of is to replace junction signals with single home signals which in itself is not realistic.
Thanks
Ken
BrianB
Well Established Forum Member

Re: Semaphore signal error

Post by BrianB »

I presume this problem is where you have a splitting junction home signal preceded by a single distant - try using a splitting junction distant signal instead of the single distant - then each separate home signal has it own distinct distant signal and should work correctly.
"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ozziedriver
Been on the forums for a while

Post by ozziedriver »

You could call the straight road home signal CLEAR2 for an off aspect
And the divert road home signal CLEAR1 as an off aspect

Then script the straight road distant signal as "if next signal is CLEAR2 " for an off aspect
And script the Divert distant signal as "If next signal is CLEAR1 as an off aspect

same should work with single distant as distant should only be off if track lays for straight or CLEAR2

That should split the signals and give the distant something different to look for
Might help with working in Open Rails as well
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Post by coolhand101 »

This was fixed to the OR core quite some time ago. I don't believe it was fixed in the stable version. However, you can put the signal scripts in the route's OR folder.
In your route folder, make a new directory and name it OpenRails, then place the signal scripts/cfg in that folder. I haven't had any problems with semaphore distants for quite some time now. They work as intended!

Thanks
kenpix

Post by kenpix »

Thanks all for your responses. The transfer of sigcfg and sigscr to an OpenRails folder worked!
kenpix

Post by kenpix »

Sorry to raise this once more. I've discovered that with the fix referred to above, MOST distant signals now work ok but some still remain on when the route is clear ahead. I've tried various experiments to get around this eg. inserting a hidden home or distant after the rogue distant, deleting and replacing the distant, and using both the MSTS and TSRE5 editors to make changes - all to no avail.
I suspect the fact that I made a lot of signalling changes to the original route has somehow corrupted some file(s) in the route.
If I reinstall the original route I'll lose the many scenery changes I've made, and I'd rather live with the signal errors than this.
If any more ideas are forthcoming I will give them a try. Any thoughts please?
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Post by coolhand101 »

May I ask what route(s) you are referring to and the areas where this is occurring? Are these single distant signals or combined?

Thanks
kenpix

Post by kenpix »

It's London Tilbury & Southend v.2, single distant tubular post eastbound between East Ham and Barking - changed experimentally to combined home & distant tubular post but still not clearing. Also single distant tubular post eastbound past Bromley. All distants east of Upminster are being checked out again as I think they may be a problem, but suspect that if a "cure" is found for the examples given it will work for all on the route. My own theory is that where the signals have been left unaltered from the original route they are ok, but where I have changed or repositioned them they won't work.
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Post by coolhand101 »

Okay, I do have this route, but won't be able to test until the weekend. Maybe someone can give you an answer before then?

Thanks
BrianB
Well Established Forum Member

Post by BrianB »

I'm finding a similar error in my route building.

Generally, I'm using combined Home and Distant arms, closely spaced (for a high traffic density line), but I find that at the end of a run of signalling where the combined Home and Distants finish and return to separate Home and Distant signals, that the last H&D distant is always ON when there is NO Distant immediately in front. A Distant is supposed to reflect the position of the next HOME signal, but the signals are acting as if there is no forward distant immediately in front, the last distant won't clear.

Maybe the signal script for the Distants is looking for forward Distants instead of forward Homes ?

I can fudge this by placing a distant immediately in front, then dropping it below ground - this means the final ON distant is now no longer visible, and the rest of the signals appear and work as normal. But, I shouldn't have to fudge this !

Regards, Brian
"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ozziedriver

Post by ozziedriver »

I think the script reads Distant to distant and if all homes are at proceed then the first distant will be off
That all depends on if the signal ahead number matches how many home are ahead as well

EG; if signal script wants 3 signal ahead there must be distant ,home ,home, home then another distant
if it wants 2 ahead it must be distant, home ,home distant
the signal ahead script must match the home in between the distant
Ozziedriver
kenpix

Post by kenpix »

Above tricks don't work for me - I placed another distant after the next home signal but the rogue distant still stays on!
I will keep trying to find a solution but am running out of options.
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Post by coolhand101 »

In the OR folder sigCFG file, change theses signals :

"BRSemHome"

"UKSemLQHome"

"UKSemHome"

to SignalNumClearAhead ( 4 ).

Try this in 'Activity' or 'Activity explore mode' and report back.

I myself do have a problem with certain home+distant combined signals where the single starter signal for that distant is off, but the combined distant remains on. I haven't delved any further on that matter for some time now.

Thanks
ozziedriver

Post by ozziedriver »

A home/Distant combined signal is counted as 1 signal
so if you have a Home/Distant combined then Home/Distant combined,,,,the Clear ahead is only 1

If you had,,,,, Home/Distant,,Home, Home,,that would be 3 clear ahead

Ozziedriver
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Post by coolhand101 »

ozziedriver wrote:A home/Distant combined signal is counted as 1 signal
so if you have a Home/Distant combined then Home/Distant combined,,,,the Clear ahead is only 1

If you had,,,,, Home/Distant,,Home, Home,,that would be 3 clear ahead

Ozziedriver
Hi Oz.
Where I encounter this problem is with a Home/Distant, Home/Distant, then a home, before a terminus station( end of track ). The first combined distant is 'Off', the second combined distant is 'On', followed by the very last home signal which is 'Off'. This area has very short block sections to protect manual level crossings.

Thanks

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”