Removing reliance on MSTS default route data...

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

dkightley
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Removing reliance on MSTS default route data...

Post by dkightley »

Now what we need is a repository for all the shapes (Google sites maby?) where people can upload there completed work.
That was the next thing I was going to think about...
I Tested my environmental lighted Pub in OR and it worked OK as shown
Along with the subject of testing.....

I'm prepared to act as both custodian and verifier of completed MSTS shapes, etc. What I would like to suggest is that I act as the focal point for collating the finished items......verifying each "fits" as a replacement for the original (size and orientation wise...no judging of quality involved!) and collate and document into the end package. I'd also like to see a little more control over who edits what in the master list...not that I don't trust those involved - its those not involved who might want to "have a laugh" that I'm more concerned about!!

I spoke briefly to Matt over the weekend, and he's quite prepared to provide whatever resources we need to support this project.
walterconklin
Getting the hang of things now

Post by walterconklin »

A central repository to host the replacement textures and shapes, and the Google work-list spreadsheet of who is doing what would be an excellent idea in my opinion for organizational purposes.
Sincerely,

Walter Conklin
systema
Very Active Forum Member

Post by systema »

Presumably as a minimum even if a shape or texture isn't changed, the volume spheres (sudden disappearance of object while passing) should be corrected and distance levels maxed out, since OR should easily be able to handle this.

Mick Clarke
MEP
Heading North and East
[album 86570 OR_Supporter_Logo_Red.jpg]
tads1970
Very Active Forum Member

Post by tads1970 »

lumpchase wrote:
tads1970 wrote:Just a quick post regarding default sound's,I'm making steady progress with environment effect's (Europe1)as well as some custom ones with a smaller radius,adds to the atmosphere :D

Daz
Does that mean flange squeal?
Hi,

At this moment in time the main drive & focus (for me) is replacing and improving the default route data.
dkightley
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dkightley »

As I've just posted on train-sim.com's forum:
I am offering to act as the coordinator for the project, and to collate, verify, document and (when appropriate) publish the replacement "pack" wherever it needs to be published for anyone to access it.

If nobody has any objections, then I'll start working out the necessary process to get shapes, etc submitted to the project, and to maintain a master list of shapes reserved, in preparation and completed so its easy for anyone wanting to help out to get involved.
walterconklin

Post by walterconklin »

Hi Doug,

I am just wondering are you going to work off of the spreadsheet created by Chris Van Wagoner at
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... l=en#gid=0

Sincerely,
Walter
Sincerely,

Walter Conklin
dkightley
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dkightley »

Walter

I've not yet decided whether to use that spreadsheet or not. I've a very busy spell with my other "hobby" at the moment, but hopefully in about a week I'll be able to concentrate on this project here.

In the meantime, anyone wanting to send anything to me can use my email address:

buffy500
Mr DMU

Post by buffy500 »

Something else to add to the collection...

This is a direct replacement for the Europe1 shape UKCrossGate.s and has been mailed to Doug and filled out on the spreadsheet.
walterconklin

Post by walterconklin »

Hello,

Not speaking in regards to this matter from an official position, as a member of the Open Rails team, I am wondering if the community has come to a consensus as to where we should have a central repository for exchanging replacement files.
Sincerely,

Walter Conklin
dkightley
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dkightley »

I have the necessary space on my personal website host and could easily set up a page to display the list.

Alternatively, a good place could be on the OR wiki......

I haven't yet made a start on what I was intending to do...ie sort out a process for recording, validating and storing completed items......another week and I'll have some more free time!!
buffy500
Mr DMU

Post by buffy500 »

I do think that there should be a central repository for this project. be it UKTS, OR Wiki or even some MT webspace.
walterconklin

Post by walterconklin »

Hello,

Just to let the community know, the OR team has already provided a list at https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... l=en#gid=0 of shapes that need replacement.
Sincerely,

Walter Conklin
CaptainBazza
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!

Post by CaptainBazza »

I am tied up with several other projects so I'm not able to directly contribute models, however, I've just had a brainfart for a utility to assist those who wish to help out by providing models.

Doug, I'd like to arrange a SKYPE call at a mutually convenient time, thanks.

Cheers Bazza
dkightley
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dkightley »

For anyone interested in having a go, I've produced a brief tutorial on how to create a copy of an existing shape:
 Click to view more informationCopying MSTS Default Objects [1223935 bytes] - Creating a Copy of a MSTS Default Scenery Object.pdf
File ID: 26171 Date: 02 Apr 2011 - 248 Downloads
longiron
Been on the forums for a while

Post by longiron »

In a similar vein, the OR team has been contacted by route builders worldwide, who have created routes that have ZERO dependencies on the default MSTS content. As a result of these early contacts, the OR team is in the process of reaching out to route builders worldwide, both payware and freeware, to create a list of them. Plans are to list those routes on the OR web site.

An excellent tutorial is available at this site on how to set up OpenRails without having MSTS installed:

I have recently released a MSTS route which is able to be run as an OR only installation (ie without MSTS installed).
http://www.tweed.coalstonewcastle.co...route-install/

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”