New Forest Route V3 available

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

rickloader
Well Established Forum Member

New Forest Route V3 available

Post by rickloader »

New Forest Route V3 is now offered for Open Rails. Due to the large file size ( about10Gb on disk) it is available from Github.
https://github.com/rickloader/NewForestRouteV3
The route may be downloaded as a zip from the "code" button (Github route page), but it is recommended to clone from the "latest release". Then If you "watch" you will get notifications of updates, because this is work in progress. You will need a free Github account. Then download the Github desktop app.
New Forest Route V3 runs from Basingstoke to Weymouth , late 1950s. The focus is on OR timetable mode, and a large timetable is included. Please run the route with the OR unstable version or the ORNYMG branch.
You will need a medium spec computer 64bit and 8gb memory. The timetable takes up to 30 min to load. Please read the guide in the Documents folder.
The route is a self contained mini route and must be kept away from existing MSTS installations because it uses custom global and t section. It is not suitable for MSTS
Some errors are present, and much incomplete scenery.
My grateful thanks to the many model authors who kindly gave permission for inclusion with the route.
Rick
edit : There is a Youtube video, but I can`t link direct A search of Youtube for "new forest route for open rails" should get you there.
[album 71307 OR_Supporter_Logo_Black.JPG]
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Re: New Forest Route V3 available

Post by dforrest »

Has anyone downloaded this from GitHub?
David
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

If you haven't looked at it, then it is well worth joining GitHub to download. This is timetable on a main line route. Imagine having dozens of MSTS activities all available at once - pick any train and drive to the timetable.
The future of Open Rails is in there somewhere, there is a lot to learn about signals and timetable structure and function. Rick has done an amazing job putting it all together.
Regards

Darwin
rickloader

Post by rickloader »

Thank you Darwin. As an extra incentive to download NF Route you get some splendid coaches from Darwin, and improved loco physics too . Darwin has made a valued contribution to the project.
I`m very grateful to the many who agreed to alow their models to be included. This has allowed the route to be entirely self - contained. No hunting required for dozens of files : all are included.
Rick
rufuskins
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rufuskins »

I've downloaded the route and have got Open Rails to see it. Didn't realise that the loading up in OR took some time. I found the YT video and everything looks pretty impressive. I shall run it again later this morning. Thank you Rick for sharing this.
Working on exMT Thumper Project.
rickloader

Post by rickloader »

Thank you Alec for trying NewForest Route.
I am sorry the timetable loading takes time. You see the Sim must track several hundred trains positon and actions up to the player star time. This is the prerun phase . You could save (F2) when loaded and then it will be quicker when you return to the same train.
I do need to improve the experience for newcomers to OR timetables
I have made a video of the Templecombe shunt. i have tried to make it authentic. This shows timetable mode in action . Operations at Templecombe can be followed as observer as well as driven. Select the train "ObsTemplecombe"

https://youtu.be/ZF8GJj0syUc
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Thanks for that. I did not realise the Templecombe shunt involved a pilot engine. I had assumed looking at the timetable that the two trains joined were joined together before entering the station. Now I have seen your video I have a better understanding of how things were done.
Regards

Darwin
PGH60

Post by PGH60 »

HI, Having recently downloaded this route and extracted all the files can anyone advice me please on how to install it into Open Rails,because i have tried so far with not much success .Many Thanks.Peter.
MikeandDi

Post by MikeandDi »

Hi Peter

This is an extract from the "readme for users" document included in the route download -

"Installation
The route is presented as a stand alone mini route. Download the route to a “NewforestrouteV3” folder in any location. Run by using the current "Unstable version of Open Rails or The ORNYMG version, then open the OR Options/content/ installation profiles menu and point to NewforestrouteV3 / watersnake."

In my installation the path is "C:\Mini Routes\NewForestRouteV3".

I hope that this helps.

Regards
Mike
PGH60

Post by PGH60 »

Hi, thanks Mike for the reply i will have another try and see if i can have any success.Peter.

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”