DMU Gearbox issue

Have you given it a go? Post your experiences, particularly things that worked well. Let the team know what works and doesn't work as they cannot test the software with every combination of routes, activities and content available for MSTS. OpenRails is actively being improved and is quickly approaching v1.0. This is a great place to discuss what you can do with OpenRails.

Moderator: Moderators

tary5
Been on the forums for a while

DMU Gearbox issue

Post by tary5 »

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if there is anyone who would be prepared to confirm an issue that I have encountered with regard to UK first generation DMU’s.
Since OR unstable update U2021.10.01_0651 2021 10 01 gear changing on the above items of stock seem to have become non operational.

Whilst the gear change control will cycle up and down the gears when the vehicle is stationary, as soon as forward is engaged and gear one is selected, the vehicle will move forward but I am then not able to get the gears to change up to gears 2,3,4 nor will the gear change handle move even after allowing the rpm’s to drop to idle. Result is the same with either mouse or keypad control.

The items of stock tested to date are as follows:-
BR_Class104_3car_BRGw_MR
BD_CL104_DMU
BRGreenClass117
MCLW_Cl103_green
all with the same result.

If I revert OR back to testing version or to versions dated before 1 10 2021 the gears and gear change handle behave as normal.
The OR log file does not show any reference to inaccurate parameters or entries in the .eng or .cv files.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers for now,

Terry W.
Windows 10 pro 64 bit. Intel core i5-4430 cpu@3.00GHz. 4.0GB RAM. Nvidia GeForce 210. Windows Defender
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Re: DMU Gearbox issue

Post by DarwinS »

Hello Terry,

There is ongoing work at the moment on gearbox and mechanical transmission. This means that gears may not work in recent unstable versions. Hopefully the issues will be resolved soon.

The previous version of mechanical transmission in OR was producing some strange (but not immediately obvious) behaviour with the operation of low gears at low speeds. With higher gears and higher speeds everything was functioning correctly.

The present work will hopefully add the following changes:

( 1 ) more realistic behaviour of low gears at lower speeds
( 2 ) more realistic behaviour of the clutch when engaging first gear - similar to that of the fluid coupling used on first generation dmus
( 3 ) more realistic behaviour during gear changes

As part of ( 3 ) when changing you may need to close the throttle and allow rpm to decrease before engaging a higher gear, which has worked for the test locomotive being used, but it seems this has not worked for the units that you have tried.

You should not need to adjust your trains, as they should all function when the development is completed.

When that is done I will be reissuing my OR files for first generation dmu including any new features added as a result of this work and also including new working control trailer files for driving trailers. [The physics of my previous driving trailers is messed up at the moment too.]
Regards

Darwin
tary5
Been on the forums for a while

Re: DMU Gearbox issue

Post by tary5 »

Hi Darwin.

Many thanks for the prompt reply and comprehensive update. Also thanks in advance for the DMU files you intend to re-write. I for one will find them very useful, as were the originals.

Cheers for now,

Terry
Windows 10 pro 64 bit. Intel core i5-4430 cpu@3.00GHz. 4.0GB RAM. Nvidia GeForce 210. Windows Defender

Return to “[OR] General OpenRails Discussion”