why doesn't OR see my new train files? Please help a newbie!

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

borland33
New to the Forums

why doesn't OR see my new train files? Please help a newbie!

Post by borland33 »

Morning, and thank you for giving me something to do during lockdown! It's very addictive and great fun. I have MSTS installed but it will not run so I installed OR which runs the routes and trains perfectly. I have got into downloading some files from UKTrainSim and have been successful in the past. Recently, I have failed to get a couple of downloaded train files running in OR although they are reported as MSTS compatible. They are unzipped into the Trains folder inside trainset as instructed, but when I open OR they do not appear in the drop down options. The question is how does OR know that there is a particular train in the train folder. Is there some other file that I need to add further up the root directory or is there something wrong with the file. What exactly does OR look for to identify a particular engine and include it in the drop down choice? Thanks Stuart
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Re: why doesn't OR see my new train files? Please help a newbie!

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi,

For Open Rails to "see" an engine etc. you first have to create a consist. There are various utilities available other than the one supplied with MSTS - Conbuilder and Convoi are two very good ones and both free.

Regards,

Stephen
borland33
New to the Forums

Post by borland33 »

Hi Stephen that is really good of you to come back to me. I'm well out of my depth here so could you just expand please? From the original file that I down loaded, how do I extract the consist please? the instructions only said to extract into trainset and nothing about consist.
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Stuart,

Most downloads don't come with a consist, these need to be created before they can be used. A good consist maker is Conbuilder
 Click to view more informationMSTS Utility -- ConBuilder v2.4.9 [12939576 bytes] - cb249.zip
File ID: 38868 Date: 13 May 2019 - 260 Downloads
. Full instructions are included which must be followed exactly or it will fail.

Hope this helps,

Stephen
mrmosky
Been on the forums for a while

Post by mrmosky »

Hi Stuart,

If you are a complete novice, you may not know what a consist is. It's a train basically, so the engine has to be part of a defined train before you can run it in OR. So a consist builder helps you to make up a train, which may be your loco plus wagons or carriages. A consist may also be just the engine, but has to be defined as a consist "consisting" of the engine alone.

Stupid, I know. You would think anyone releasing an engine for downloading would include a consist to help new users. Some do, but some don't. Also, you would think that OR would be able to automatically create a consist where none exists for a particular engine, but no.

Just ask if you need further help.
Geoff
borland33
New to the Forums

Post by borland33 »

Thanks Geoff, very useful and now I understand. Yes, you would think this would be easier, but I'm not going anywhere right now along with everybody else so I will work out how this is done. What could possibly go wrong! Thanks Stuart
borland33
New to the Forums

Post by borland33 »

For MrMosky - Geoff - Thanks for your help a while back, I'm getting quite into this during lockdown. I have a question for you and don't want to look stupid publicly and wish to save boring most other followers. Is there is a way we can go PM? Stuart
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Post by Easilyconfused »

@borland33 New users can't use PMs but I switched the settings around so you can use them. 7 posts is a bit early to come off post approval though but PMs should now work.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
borland33
New to the Forums

Post by borland33 »

Thank you very much. Stuart

Return to “[OR] Help for Beginners”