New Installation Running Slow

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

eholly
Very Active Forum Member

New Installation Running Slow

Post by eholly »

Hi Chaps

This is my first post on the OR forums. I have been using MSTS for many years, but have recently upgraded my Windows OS to Windows 10. This new laptop has an AMD graphics card and despite many attempts to "fix" it, it still refuses to run MSTS.

Hence, finally, downloading Open Rails - hoping I can therefore enjoy my huge MSTS collection via that medium.

Problem is, that although my activities will load/open, the whole thing then freezes or appears to. The brakes won't come off; the regulator takes ages to shift from 0% to 35% open and to try and get an outside view to work is hopeless!

What have I done wrong? What am I missing? Can anyone speed this damn thing up?

Cheers

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales
MikeandDi
Well Established Forum Member

Re: New Installation Running Slow

Post by MikeandDi »

Hi Eric

Good to hear from you, and sorry that you cannot get MSTS to run.

You should get a lot of enjoyment, and some frustration, from running Open Rails.

I am not sure which version you are running, but you may find that the latest Monogame Version (download link - http://www.interazioni-educative.it/Downloads/index.php ) of the sim has improvements over the last stable version, which is now quite old.

To release the brakes, try the Initialise Brakes command "Shift+/".

Outside views should simply be a press of the 2,3 and 4 keys, plus key 8 for a free view which is great fun to use to watch yourself and other trains go by!

You can find a list of all commands by pressing the F1 key whilst in game.

I also find that the brakes, regulators and reversers all move very slowly, so I tend to adjust the settings of the relevant loco in the .eng files before starting any activity. This is purely for my own benefit though, and may come to bite me back as the sim develops.

As you may be aware, not all of the MSTS activities will work in Open Rails, but there are some absolutely brilliant downloadable activities specifically designed for Open Rails, both in this library and at Train Sim Safe House (https://tsshonline.weebly.com/).

My main problem at the moment is that some saved activities refuse to re-load, which reminds me of similar problems we had with Danny's South East route.

I hope this is of some help to you, but I am sure you will receive some expert advice shortly.

Best regards
Mike
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Eric and Mike,

Eric, Open Rails is well worth persevering with as the graphics are better and there are a lot more functions available. As Mike said there are plenty of Open Rails specific activities available ( including some of mine ).

Mike, the problem with saved activities not loading can often be due to trying to run it with a newer version of Open Rails rather than the one originally used - I've never found a way round it.

Regards,

Stephen
eholly
Very Active Forum Member

Post by eholly »

Hi Mike and Stephen

Nice to hear from you both again. This lockdown situation has given us all more time to indulge in our favourite hobby - that's why I'm so frustrated at not being able to get MSTS or Open Rails running correctly!

I will give heed to your collective advice and couple it to the advice already given via a pm by Ged. Surely the four of us can work this out?

Cheers

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markpullinger »

Hi Eric, it might be your laptops power plan - by default it is on balanced - high performance is better for games but it does make the battery suffer so best on mains power.
MikeandDi

Post by MikeandDi »

Hi Stephen

From past experience, I now never change the ORTS version whilst in the middle of activities, so that is not the problem here.

I have lodged a bug report on the Open Rails tracker because this has happened when running three different activities on the excellent new Chiltern Route, which makes things rather frustrating.

Regrettably, the Open Rails log files mean nothing to me, but hopefully someone will be able to see what is wrong.

Regards
Mike
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Post by dforrest »

Mike would you like to share your problems on the Chiltern route?
David
MikeandDi

Post by MikeandDi »

Hi David

Here is a link to the bug report -

https://bugs.launchpad.net/or/+bug/1874306

Thanks for your interest, and for your contributions to the route.

Regards
Mike
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Post by dforrest »

MikeandDi wrote:Hi David

Here is a link to the bug report -

https://bugs.launchpad.net/or/+bug/1874306

Thanks for your interest, and for your contributions to the route.

Regards
Mike
I patch to the route will soon be release which may help to resolve this issue.
David
MikeandDi

Post by MikeandDi »

Excellent news David.

Thanks
Mike
eholly
Very Active Forum Member

Post by eholly »

Hi Chaps

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Nothing I've done makes any difference to the sluggish response from Open Rails.

So I'm going to re-open an old Windows 7 machine I've rescued from the lab - and see if I can run MSTS on that. Luckily it has an Nvidia Quadro FX graphics card.

I've basically given up on running any Train Sim on my Windows 10 laptop - life is too short!

Cheers and thanks for all your help,

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales
eholly
Very Active Forum Member

Post by eholly »

Hi Chaps

I'm happy to report the PC I rescued from the labs is up and running - with MSTS behaving!

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markpullinger »

Great stuff. Enjoy. :)

Return to “[OR] Help for Beginners”