Brand new to sims: Lyme Regis on Open Rails

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

doublereefed
New to the Forums

Brand new to sims: Lyme Regis on Open Rails

Post by doublereefed »

I am brand new to train simulations, I came across Chris Sanderson's Lyme Regis Branch route and was headed down the path of installing MSTS and going through all the gymnastics to get it to work. I read more on Open Rails... and now wondering if anyone can verify that the Lyme Regis Branch route will work on Open Rails.

Thanks in advance.
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Brand new to sims: Lyme Regis on Open Rails

Post by DarwinS »

The short answer is yes.

If you have already installed MSTS (even if it doesn't work properly) you can point Open Rails to the MSTS installation and Lyme Regis will work.

Alternatively you can have a separate folder on your computer that must contain within it four sub-folders:

GLOBAL - copy from MSTS and add any additional material needed for particular routes ( UKFS, New Roads or whatever )
SOUND - copy from MSTS and add any route specific files or extras such as UK steam sounds
ROUTES - has LymeRegis as a sub-folder
TRAINS - has the relevant trains in two sub-folders called TRAINSET and CONSISTS

The other folders and files in the MSTS directory are not needed by OpenRails

Hope this helps. If you have any problems post here in as much detail as possible and some one will be able to assist.
Regards

Darwin
doublereefed
New to the Forums

Post by doublereefed »

DarwinS - am I to understand that even with Open Rails I need to install MSTS first? I haven't installed MSTS, the CD doesn't arrive for several more days.

Thank you for clarifying that it will work.
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

Yes and no. At present you must have MSTS (or some parts of it) installed. In the distant future this might no longer be a requirement.

Every route needs to have the folders that I mentioned.

Some of the things in those folders would normally come from MSTS. Many routes for example use MSTS default track shapes, road shapes and sounds.

Although people are slowly making things to replace some of the Microsoft original content, it will be a long time until Open Rails is fully independent of such things.

In the case of Lyme Regis the route also needs some of the scenery objects that are in the MSTS default routes:
Installation
------------

1. Make sure that all default routes are in the routes folder. Also, ensure that the latest version of UKFinescale is installed, including the latest TSection.

2. Download all 5 parts of Lyme Regis and install all of them pointing at the 'ROUTES' folder of your MSTS installation.

3. The fifth .exe file will automatically start a .bat file - leave this alone.
In my case I have a non-functional MSTS installation. I keep the folder structure and default routes there. I install new MSTS routes there. Then I copy and paste the global and sound folders to my OR folder, cut and paste the route into the routes folder of the OR folder and install any trains I want to run into the trains folder for that route. Different people may organise their routes in different ways.

If you are not confident with copying and pasting bits then as I said before Open Rails will run routes that are in the MSTS folder. Just point Open Rails to the right place.
Regards

Darwin
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Post by peacockg »

As you are new to MSTS, I think I should point out that when you install the program you need to follow carefully the instructions given on the Steam4me website.
https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/ins ... html#intro
These will get the program to run successfully under Windows 10 as well as Windows 7.
Garry
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
Garry is almost there :)
I've found that, for Windows 10, train.exe and launcher.exe must be set to "Run as an administrator" - from their respective Properties > Compatibility screens.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
doublereefed
New to the Forums

Post by doublereefed »

Thank you all for your help. The CD arrives Friday, I will follow the steam4me instructions, and hopefully will not have to ask too many questions of you after that.

Thanks!

Return to “[OR] Help for Beginners”