Installing Open Rails

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

PGH60
Well Established Forum Member

Installing Open Rails

Post by PGH60 »

Hi when I download the installer for the 1.3 version, on trying to install it into my computer it says I cannot open the file.Can anyone help please as I must be doing something wrong.Thanks.Peter.
mrmosky
Been on the forums for a while

Re: Installing Open Rails

Post by mrmosky »

HI Peter,

I just downloaded the installer for 1.3.1 from the website and it worked ok.

Just a couple of questions.

Have you had any OR installation before?

What Operating system are you using? Also, maybe your antivirus program is blocking it?

Geoff
PGH60

Post by PGH60 »

Hi Geoff because of a problem I had to have Windows 7 re-installed therefore I had to install MSTS and now I am having no luck with OR.Previously I ran OR for quite a while with no problem,its just that when I try open the downloaded installer that I have saved it comes up as an EXE file and it says it cannot be opened is there any other way please.Thanks.Peter.
mrmosky
Been on the forums for a while

Post by mrmosky »

Hi Peter,

Do you get a blue dialogue box with a message saying that this file may be suspicious, and therefore Windows is blocking it?

If so, you can override this. If it is Windows Defender, there is a small button for "more info". If you press this, there is an option to run it anyway.

If it is some other security tool, then you may be able to do the same. Otherwise you might need to disable file checking while you run the install. It's a good idea to disconnect from the internet if you do that.

Geoff
aj52mdy

Post by aj52mdy »

Hello everyone.
Following the recent arrival of "Plymouth-Penzance" and now the Chiltern route, I have taken the plunge and downloaded off of the internet, version 1-3-1 4328.
which I could not find anywhere in the UKTS file library, so I trust this is the current stable version.
Three or four years ago, I did have a look at it and ran an activity on Clive Heards Somerset & Dorset route I think it was between Highbridge and Burnham on sea, and also I tried it out on the South east route but I could not get on with it as brakes on the steam locomotives took ages to apply and release.
Diesel trains also appeared to have serious turbo problems, plenty of black smoke.
So Fast forward to April 2020: And I can see a great improvement. Well done guys. I have run one activity a stopping service from Plymouth to Saltash, and all
seems OK.
Now my problem is, that when I downloaded version 1-3-1 4328, there are no instructions or guide how to operate it or what the function buttons actually do.
If I remember correctly when coupling/uncoupling the train pipe had to be undone/re coupled, how do you do that?
One major thing I do not like is not being able to have OR full screen on my monitor, it only shows two thirds screen and the maximum button does not work.
I would very much appreciate some help. I am running windows 10.
Cheers
Andy.
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

You can find the OpenRails manual (and some tutorials) on this page http://www.openrails.org/learn/manual-and-tutorials/
There are also some demonstration activities for OR features available from https://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/phy ... -activity/

When you are using OpenRails you can pull up a list of commands by using F1 (Help)

To run OpenRails in full screen mode use CTRL+ENTER (toggles between windowed and full screen)

If you go through the options list I think there is also an option to start in full screen if you want to. As time goes by you will hopefully learn about the options and choose those that suit you.

Some of the locomotives included with the Chiltern route may not function correctly in the latest stable version. You may need to install the latest unstable version to get the best performance, this is available from https://james-ross.co.uk/projects/or/bu ... -28-11.zip

I am not sure if the features needed are included in the most recent testing version, but hopefully they will all be in the next stable version issued.
Regards

Darwin
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Post by dforrest »

DarwinS wrote:Some of the locomotives included with the Chiltern route may not function correctly in the latest stable version.
Darwin, I am not aware of this problem. Can you please elaborate.
David
aj52mdy

Post by aj52mdy »

Hi Darwin.
Have now got the manual downloaded, thanks very much.
Cheers
Andy

Return to “[OR] Help for Beginners”